Riders 41 - Lions 38, Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bbking
Starter

rb wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:
rb wrote: Here's my peeve. 3rd and 10 from Sask 45, :08 left in the 1st half. Why punt????? Go for it. If you miss, either the half is over or Sask has time for just one play which isn't going to do them any good. If you make it, you probably get a FG. Or wind up and throw a Hail Mary into the end zone. Anything but punt. Wally just wasted a nearly risk-free opportunity to try to put more points on the board.
I agree with not kicking a field goal because of the risk that a missed kick might get returned for a TD. But there were two options that were better than punting. A quick 5 yard pass to the sideline or a hail mary. If you make a short pass and get out of bounds THEN you kick at FG. If you complete the hail mary you might get a TD or a PI penalty. If the hail mary gets picked off the chances of the RIders running it back for a TD are extremely slim. Punting was a huge waste of an opportunity.
"Go for it" meant go for the first down (or the end zone) on that play, not try a 52-yard FG. My wording maybe wasn't quite clear in my initial post.

It was actually 3rd and about 9 or 10 to go so they'd have needed more than 5 yards, but for sure it's not that hard to get a 10-yard gain within seven seconds. The clock was stopped after the previous incompletion, and the clock stops after the play ends in the last three minutes so the time is adequate. You can throw the pass anywhere on the field and then hopefully the receiver is smart enough to go to the turf right there.

I couldn't agree more, they should of went for it.
This for me sums up the whole season.
I would love to know what the coaches were thinking when they lined up to punt. Surely, Rich Stubler was a head coach, he must of thought WTF.
If I was a coach/player/trainer/water boy on the team I would of probably got fired right there on the spot because of INSISTING they not punt.

Did they figure they had the game game won at 16 to 7?!
Incredible! I was spitting mad when they punted.
I speculated at that time they would lose by the 3 possible points they just declined to try and get.

I don't mean to be derogatory but of all the Bonehead decisions this one rates right up there with the lets punt for a single instead of kicking a field goal to win a past game.
I decided quite some time ago that if there aren't changes made in the coaching positions, I have attended my last game till there are changes.
I will still follow the team and watch the games, hoping for the best, but not on my nickel.
I know, I know, I won't be missed. But I bet there are others that feel as I/we do and the new stadium will need bums in the seats.

Good luck next year boys and thanks for your efforts this year.

Great things CAN be in store for this team.
“It just shows,” he said to the reporters, “that you guys don’t always see what you think you see.”
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

tigerrr22 wrote:The Lions' offence did a disappearing act in the third quarter because of chicken *poop* play calling. I think Lulay had made two passing attempts up to the 12 minute mark of the third quarter. Run on first down and hit a wall. Second and long and here we go again. (Get the defence back out onto the field until they're gassed.)
Actually, the Lions had only one two-and-out in the third quarter and it came at the 14-minute mark when Robertson dropped a Lulay pass that likely would have resulted in a first down. The Lions' only other possession of the quarter was an impressive five-play, 67-yard drive from the B.C. six yard line that resulted in a McCallum field goal. For the other 11 minutes of the quarter, the Riders had the ball, thanks to B.C.'s decision to kick off to start both halves and Saskatchewan's first TD drive, which ate up nearly eight minutes while the B.C. offence stood on the sidelines.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

bbking wrote:This for me sums up the whole season.
I would love to know what the coaches were thinking when they lined up to punt. Surely, Rich Stubler was a head coach, he must of thought WTF.
If I was a coach/player/trainer/water boy on the team I would of probably got fired right there on the spot because of INSISTING they not punt.

I speculated at that time they would lose by the 3 possible points they just declined to try and get.

I don't mean to be derogatory but of all the Bonehead decisions this one rates right up there with the lets punt for a single instead of kicking a field goal to win a past game.
Wally said he didn't want 300-pound guys trying to make a tackle after missing the field goal attempt. I suspect the coaches were thinking a 52-yarder was out of McCallum's range. He hasn't attempted a field goal of more than 50 yards in several years, and the one 50-yarder he made this year (on two attempts) came in early July in Edmonton, when the ball carries much farther than in the chilly November air of Regina. Until Sunday, McCallum hadn't made a field goal of 40 yards or more since the first week of October, before he was injured.

If Arceneaux hadn't dropped the pass on the previous play, we wouldn't be having this discussion. That drop, and Simon's in the end zone, took a potential seven points off the board. A 23-7 halftime lead would have been much more reflective of the play in the first half. The failure to score more points wasn't a result of poor coaching decisions. The receivers just dropped too many key passes.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: If Arceneaux hadn't dropped the pass on the previous play, we wouldn't be having this discussion. That drop, and Simon's in the end zone, took a potential seven points off the board. A 23-7 halftime lead would have been much more reflective of the play in the first half. The failure to score more points wasn't a result of poor coaching decisions. The receivers just dropped too many key passes.
You mean 10 points. (touchdown + field goal)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: If Arceneaux hadn't dropped the pass on the previous play, we wouldn't be having this discussion. That drop, and Simon's in the end zone, took a potential seven points off the board. A 23-7 halftime lead would have been much more reflective of the play in the first half. The failure to score more points wasn't a result of poor coaching decisions. The receivers just dropped too many key passes.
You mean 10 points. (touchdown + field goal)
The Lions got a field goal after Simon's drop so the net difference is four points on that possession (TD instead of field goal) and three points on Arceneaux's drop (field goal instead of punt).
bbking
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
bbking wrote:This for me sums up the whole season.

Wally said he didn't want 300-pound guys trying to make a tackle after missing the field goal attempt. I suspect the coaches were thinking a 52-yarder was out of McCallum's range. He hasn't attempted a field goal of more than 50 yards in several years, and the one 50-yarder he made this year (on two attempts) came in early July in Edmonton, when the ball carries much farther than in the chilly November air of Regina. Until Sunday, McCallum hadn't made a field goal of 40 yards or more since the first week of October, before he was injured.

If Arceneaux hadn't dropped the pass on the previous play, we wouldn't be having this discussion. That drop, and Simon's in the end zone, took a potential seven points off the board. A 23-7 halftime lead would have been much more reflective of the play in the first half. The failure to score more points wasn't a result of poor coaching decisions. The receivers just dropped too many key passes.

[/quote rb] "Go for it" meant go for the first down (or the end zone) on that play, not try a 52-yard FG. My wording maybe wasn't quite clear in my initial post. [/ quote ]

This is what I also was hoping they would of done. Third and long from the 45 with 8 seconds left, everything to gain and nothing to lose!!
It would of been nice to have gone right back to Arceneaux. Give him a chance to redeem himself for the previous drop.
“It just shows,” he said to the reporters, “that you guys don’t always see what you think you see.”
Rammer
Team Captain

Hawkballer 14 wrote:Wow. Awesome game, amazing heart and effort by both teams.

Am I bummed that we lost? Not at all. We were playing with house money, written off by many during the 1-7 start and again during the stretch run. Even some Lionbackers were hoping for 1-17 so this thing could get blown up.

We saw the emergence of young kids, the new core of the BC Lions: Lulay, Black, Davis, Olafioye, Arceneaux, Elimimian, KMitchell. The following are waiting in the wings: Lee, Messam, Harris, Whyte, Gore, Foster, Leonard, Henderson. These young kids could have easily mailed it in during the 1-7 start, but they kept learning/fighting and got a valuable taste of post-season football.

The future is very bright for the BC Lions organization. A full off-season and training camp refining their skills/techniques, rather than trying to learn the playbook on the fly will be extremely beneficial. We are now at the point where only minor tweaks are needed, rather than continuing the massive roster overhaul. Continuity will be a boon for the continued development of these young assets (see Smith, Alex). :2cents:
I don't really get the written off aspect that you and the local media have been spinning. While it was a dismal record, they were well within range of a playoff spot with both Edmonton and Winnipeg within reach. Lions were never out of playoff contention, although it did look dire when the Esks beat Saskatchewan and had a banged up QB ranks to face next in Winnipeg, while the Lions had the Riders at home and then the Stamps on the road, nevermind the last weekend having to go the Lions way.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:I still stand by what I said when arceneaux caught the last second td pass. Go for two and end it now. Looking at our overtime record and our offenses struggles I figured end the game on one play from the 5.
I strongly agree with that. I've given it some good thought and there is no reason not to. It's just hard for coaches to wrap their heads around is that it seems unusual or outside the box. But why? In overtime we would not only have to make that play once and probably twice at least, then must defend it!
Tighthead
Legend

Lionheart wrote:
Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:I still stand by what I said when arceneaux caught the last second td pass. Go for two and end it now. Looking at our overtime record and our offenses struggles I figured end the game on one play from the 5.
I strongly agree with that. I've given it some good thought and there is no reason not to. It's just hard for coaches to wrap their heads around is that it seems unusual or outside the box. But why? In overtime we would not only have to make that play once and probably twice at least, then must defend it!
the more I think about it, the more I am reminded of the old baseball adage - play for a win on the road, and a tie at home.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

They are talking about it on the team right now. Wally had asked assistants.. "shouldn't we be going for it now? I think once they were given the second chance with only 2.5 yards out it would/should have been the only decision. Damm

Keep in mind sask is kind of in shock, the Lions amped... there is just so much more and harder plays to make in ot than that one simple short two yarder..
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:They are talking about it on the team right now. Wally had asked assistants.. "shouldn't we be going for it now? I think once they were given the second chance with only 2.5 yards out it would/should have been the only decision. Damm

Keep in mind sask is kind of in shock, the Lions amped... there is just so much more and harder plays to make in ot than that one simple short two yarder..
Ha ha, I made a thread on this....hope you don't mind. Although a harder play than making two yards is 2 1/2 yards. :)
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote: Wally said he didn't want 300-pound guys trying to make a tackle after missing the field goal attempt. I suspect the coaches were thinking a 52-yarder was out of McCallum's range. He hasn't attempted a field goal of more than 50 yards in several years, and the one 50-yarder he made this year (on two attempts) came in early July in Edmonton, when the ball carries much farther than in the chilly November air of Regina. Until Sunday, McCallum hadn't made a field goal of 40 yards or more.
Fair enough, but again, it's the conservatism and general lack of creativity and many find frustrating. While I can't quibble with Wally's reasoning (although I think he gives way too much credit to Grice-Mullen), and yes, the drops killed the drive, trying to pin the Riders deep in the dying seconds of the half did us no good at all.

I would have thrown the ball to our back-up punter Paris Jackson. With everyone lined up onside, he could have kicked it through the end zone for the single - or we could have tried to recover the ball down field.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
pennw
Legend

Rammer wrote:

Am I bummed that we lost? Not at all. We were playing with house money, written off by many during the 1-7 start and again during the stretch run. Even some Lionbackers were hoping for 1-17 so this thing could get blown up.

We saw the emergence of young kids, the new core of the BC Lions: Lulay, Black, Davis, Olafioye, Arceneaux, Elimimian, KMitchell. The following are waiting in the wings: Lee, Messam, Harris, Whyte, Gore, Foster, Leonard, Henderson. These young kids could have easily mailed it in during the 1-7 start, but they kept learning/fighting and got a valuable taste of post-season football.

The future is very bright for the BC Lions organization. A full off-season and training camp refining their skills/techniques, rather than trying to learn the playbook on the fly will be extremely beneficial. We are now at the point where only minor tweaks are needed, rather than continuing the massive roster overhaul. Continuity will be a boon for the continued development of these young assets (see Smith, Alex). :2cents:
I don't really get the written off aspect that you and the local media have been spinning. While it was a dismal record, they were well within range of a playoff spot with both Edmonton and Winnipeg within reach. Lions were never out of playoff contention, although it did look dire when the Esks beat Saskatchewan and had a banged up QB ranks to face next in Winnipeg, while the Lions had the Riders at home and then the Stamps on the road, nevermind the last weekend having to go the Lions way.
For the written off aspect just go back and read this message board only a few weeks ago . People would not even congratulate Lulay for his Offensive Player of the Week award . Many just jumped back on the bandwagon only this week going by the posting I've been reading here , while others posted how they would not support the team until WB was gone after he let the old QB go.
As for Lulay , suddenly he's a star , surprise , surprise . The fact is , it was evident by the mid point of the season that he should be our starter and was by far the best QB we had already then , especially considering how little experience he had at that time , but many were out-raged at going with him instead of whats-his-name .
Now lets just hope we can keep him long term , because there will be lots of other teams that will want him too .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

pennw wrote:For the written off aspect just go back and read this message board only a few weeks ago . People would not even congratulate Lulay for his Offensive Player of the Week award . Many just jumped back on the bandwagon only this week going by the posting I've been reading here , while others posted how they would not support the team until WB was gone after he let the old QB go.
As for Lulay , suddenly he's a star , surprise , surprise . The fact is , it was evident by the mid point of the season that he should be our starter and was by far the best QB we had already then , especially considering how little experience he had at that time , but many were out-raged at going with him instead of whats-his-name .
Now lets just hope we can keep him long term , because there will be lots of other teams that will want him too .
By most accounts, including mine, Lulay was the best quarterback in training camp but he didn't really come into his own until he got his second chance as a starter late in the season. He averaged 278 yards passing in the final six regular season games plus the semifinal, which projects to about 5,000 yards for a full season. He had 9 passing TDs, 5 INTs and QB rating of about 100 in those seven games. He also had 295 rushing yards in that span, which projects to about 760 yards for a full season. And he's still improving.
Rammer
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
Rammer wrote:

For the written off aspect just go back and read this message board only a few weeks ago . People would not even congratulate Lulay for his Offensive Player of the Week award . Many just jumped back on the bandwagon only this week going by the posting I've been reading here , while others posted how they would not support the team until WB was gone after he let the old QB go.
Well a good thing that I stipulated the media pointing to the 1 - 7 record as being written off then. :)

As for Lulay, he wasn't the best QB when Printers and he were both Lions, he emerged as the better QB down the stretch by comparison. Still I don't think until he was able to beat the Stamps that I would credit him as the starter. He did have very favourable ST/D work for him in order to get those wins. Still he seems to be growing and that is better than what Printers was showing.