Lions part ways with Casey Printers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Who's in charge around here?

Team Turmoil.

Does any of this stick to Teflon Wally?

When Casey was winging it last year, he looked like the guy from 2004. With Training Camp and indoctrination this year, he was not the same guy. Too much stuff in his head. In the pocket he was torn between running or staying, meanwhile trying to go through his reads. Then in his uncertainty he was holding the ball like the loaf of bread.

This reflects poorly on the team. And he is a scapegoat. Wally sending a message to the team, and to the football world: I am in charge, and I do not tolerate .... hmmm what does he not tolerate? Messam breaking Jackson's jaw? Sanchez having a tantrum and giving Winnipeg that crucial point? Mitchell blowing the game with a punch to the opponent's gut? Just a message is all it is. It is not really something that will give the team discipline.

It is a shambles ...

For a team to behave like this for a coach with a lesser record, it would be one foot out the door for the coach, perhaps both feet.

But Wally now has his scapegoat, and it will direct the heat away from him, onto Printers, who is obviously the cause of all the Lions' problems.

It is a shambles. You just don't cut Printers because he developed a short stretch of fumbleitis over a game and a half stretch, after he had demonstrated excellent protection of the football up to that point, throwing few interceptions and holding onto the rock. Printers was 4/6 against Winnipeg and threw an unfortunate interception. His meltdown at the end of the game showed a lack of maturity but he was not the only player who had one out there and at least he didn't do it on the football field and cause penalties.

No, Printers is a scapegoat for what is happening right now. He's being used to send a message and deflect attention away from Wally's poor leadership in Winnipeg. However, this is a Wally strategy..blame the quarterback, keep the heat on the players, deflect away all attention from himself.

It would have been wiser to demote Printers to third string until the end of the season and make him earn his way back. At least he provided depth and the fact is that Printers is still our best quarterback, in terms of quarterback efficiency, and production. This is not good football sense but more important to Wally is to place blame elsewhere for our record and his lack of leadership.

Printers showed last season, that he still had the magic. His knee injury bothered him a lot this season. He wasn't as mobile and there is no question that he also got away from his natural tendancies in trying to execute the Chap offence. Chap has never been a fan or a supporter of Printers. It was Chap, in 2005, that hid Dickenson's injury from Wally, until near the start of the game and it was Chap (while never publically stated) that Printers alluded to when he said that there was someone in the organization that did not want him to achieve success,

However, Printers shot himself in the foot. He placed himself in a position with his blow up in Winnipeg to move into Wally's gunsights. Wally needed to cut someone. Its how he operates when things go badly...and has for years here in B.C. All week now the talk will be about Printers and not Wally. I believe we should keep the focus on Wally on Lionbackers, Wally will have the press all over the Printers story, which is exactly what he wants.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
The_Pauser
Legend

swervynmerv wrote:
I have it on reliable info from a BC Lion player that Printers was not popular in the room. This is not hearsay, this was told to me directly.
Where do you get your information from? Perhaps you could PM me if you don't want it getting out? I've spoken with several of the Lions players (mostly on offense) who are actually friends with Casey and train with him even in the offseason. I haven't heard that he is unliked in the lockerroom.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Blitz wrote:
However, Printers shot himself in the foot. He placed himself in a position with his blow up in Winnipeg to move into Wally's gunsights. Wally needed to cut someone. Its how he operates when things go badly...and has for years here in B.C. All week now the talk will be about Printers and not Wally. I believe we should keep the focus on Wally on Lionbackers, Wally will have the press all over the Printers story, which is exactly what he wants.
I bet you Wally is going to point to that blowup, as well as a blowup in the lockerroom. And I guarantee you that no one in the media will call Wally on his inconsistencies here. Messam punched Jackson in the face, yet Wally stated because that wasn't a public altercation that no disciplinary measures will be taken (thus, Casey shouldn't be disciplined for blowing up in the lockerroom if that's what happened). And if it's for Casey's blowup on the field, why haven't Davis Sanchez and Khalif Mitchell been cut too? I would argue that what they did was far more detrimental to the team considering their blowups cost the team points and played a huge role in costing us the game.
Roar you Lions roar!
potbelly
Rookie

The_Pauser wrote:I hope Casey gets on with another team, and honestly I can see him burning us. Within the right system, Casey is one of the top QB's in the league. Wally was just too stupid to move on from the crap Chapball we've employed. :bang:
I agree you called, he will get picked up and we will get burned. Thats just how the story goes. Printers has the talent and it will just take another team and oc to tap into it.
Spud387
Champion

jerepeters wrote:Holy F%^*!!!!! what the damn it I am or have never been this pissed with a move that the BC Lions Have ever made till now Wally Buono your a FRICKEN JOKE I wanna use swear words but don't wanna loose my status as a rookie on here and respect other fans :shock: I renewed my Season tickets because I knew Casey Printers was gonna Be a BC Lions Player again I never saw issues with Casey even when he was last here the media I think made it worse I dunno I dunno what goes on behind closed doors but Frick the Lions Offensive line been good but how many times do the screw up too seeing how our QB's get hurt or scrambelling Travis Lulay come on now he make's me think he got some skills but I don't think he can be a quality QB we have not had a quality QB since Damon Allen and maybe Dickenson but to me Dickenson looked like a baby out there anyway focus Wally Buono you just lost my support :bang: BONEHEAD
That's a pretty poor reason to renew season tickets. Not only cause you renewing should be because it's the team you want to watch, but that fact that you should know the Lions always have a carousel for QBs
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Blitz wrote:
I bet you Wally is going to point to that blowup, as well as a blowup in the lockerroom. And I guarantee you that no one in the media will call Wally on his inconsistencies here. Messam punched Jackson in the face, yet Wally stated because that wasn't a public altercation that no disciplinary measures will be taken (thus, Casey shouldn't be disciplined for blowing up in the lockerroom if that's what happened). And if it's for Casey's blowup on the field, why haven't Davis Sanchez and Khalif Mitchell been cut too? I would argue that what they did was far more detrimental to the team considering their blowups cost the team points and played a huge role in costing us the game.

There is juuuuuuuust a little difference in taking your frustrations out on your own teammate. You don't throw your teammates under the bus and especially on national TV!!!
hutch
Champion

I'm not upset at all. Casey isn't the same QB he used to be. All those turnovers, where did his accuracy go?? Feel a bit bad for someone that gets cut but everything happens for a reason.
potbelly
Rookie

The_Pauser wrote:
Spud387 wrote: I love how everything with you is "if." Ever come to think, hey he couldn't get it done? Guess what... Buck and DD could tear up this league too and LAST FOR YEARS if they got all of the protection in the world as you claim CP needs. The fact is that ain't gonna happen and he couldn't get it done with what he had. (and BP, DD couldn't keep healthy for the same reasons)
So why aren't JJ and Lulay cut too? They can't get it done with what they have either. Everyone keeps going on about how great JJ did in 07. Well, his numbers weren't THAT great, but his win percentage was. If you put CP on that team, I bet you he looks that much better as well. Since 07, JJ hasn't done much to show that he's a top notch QB in this league hence the reason he's been number 3 on the depth chart this year. And Lulay hasn't looked better than Casey at all this season.
I disagree. as far as JJ. he has not really been given a chance to work through some adversity.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

My final word on Casey is this:

Closure.

Time to move
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

And then there is the Mike Reilly factor. Wally might have decided to get Reilly on the practice field now as the 3rd string rather than wait until next year's TC. Cutting Printers does not sacrifice the present because the Lions still have 2 experienced QBs.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Even now, hatred for Dave Dickenson. All the guy did was win, and some here will never forgive him for that.

As loss after loss happens, we can take solace in knowing that the DD haters are getting the losses they so sorely wanted.
zark
Champion

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:I guess the 3 other Printers threads didn't rate for this Shakespearean rant. :dizzy:
I've lost count...I thought this was the forth one. Maybe we need an extra Casey thread to determine how many threads there are.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
swervynmerv
Legend

Pauser, I am not going to throw someone under the bus. All I will say is what I said was true. You can choose to take it at face value or not.

Your comment gives further credance to the rift I mentioned. Of course Casey would be liked by many on the team. That being said I believe there was possibly a rift in the room between who should play QB. At the end of the day, Wally said the players and staff had lost confidance in Casey and probably even Casey himself.

Despite both of us having differing opinions/sources, what really matters is what the Head Coach/GM tells the media and fans. I believe Wally put that to rest today in his media interview.
Rammer
Team Captain

swervynmerv wrote:Pauser, I am not going to throw someone under the bus. All I will say is what I said was true. You can choose to take it at face value or not.

Your comment gives further credance to the rift I mentioned. Of course Casey would be liked by many on the team. That being said I believe there was possibly a rift in the room between who should play QB. At the end of the day, Wally said the players and staff had lost confidance in Casey and probably even Casey himself.

Despite both of us having differing opinions/sources, what really matters is what the Head Coach/GM tells the media and fans. I believe Wally put that to rest today in his media interview.
A player doesn't put on the #1 jersey thinking like a second stringer, and if that is where he was going to be placed, he may as well part ways. I wonder which reporter gets to CP first, that would be an interesting conversation.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Seems like all the players are potential scapegoats except the coaching staff. :bang: :bang: They're not to blame for this fiasco