Foley signs..with the Argos

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

The thing i regret out of this is that we JUST played the Argos.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Not the first time this sort of thing has happened, and it prob won't be the last.

I remember about a decade ago Eddie Brown did pretty much the exact same thing to the Eskimos, saying all the right things in the paper about how great it is to be coming back to Edmonton (for what would have been the third time), before he surfaced here.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
ik17
Rookie

B.C. had no signed contract – it was waiting for Foley to sign upon his arrival. Sheehy issued a post on his Twitter account congratulating the Argos, a new era version of a 2005 incident in which client Ed Hervey had agreed to terms with the Ottawa Renegades only to sign with the Edmonton Eskimos after the Renegades had issued a press release.
His agent's done this before...
Luke
All Star

*poop*. If he didn't agree to terms, what was he doing in the media talking about how happy he was to return to the Lions? What a joke. I guess in the future the Lions won't be announcing anything before the contract is "literally" signed. This could never happen in the NFL. In fact, does anyone know of something like this happening in the NFL?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:The thing i regret out of this is that we JUST played the Argos.
True, if this had all happened a week ago who knows how many extra tickets it could have sold lol.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
joe kapp22
Legend

Luke wrote:*poop*. If he didn't agree to terms, what was he doing in the media talking about how happy he was to return to the Lions? What a joke. I guess in the future the Lions won't be announcing anything before the contract is "literally" signed. This could never happen in the NFL. In fact, does anyone know of something like this happening in the NFL?

Sure, Favre, Belicheck was the Jets Coach for 20 minutes quit then was hired by the Patriots.

This is not unusual no signee no contract..that is how it goes.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
hutch
Champion

Have fun with your next contract Fooley. Nobody is going to trust him till he signs on the dotted line. Wally doesn't even seem pissed? Maybe cause this makes Ricky look pretty bad.....
joe kapp22
Legend

Casey Printers as well, in a similar situation, flying out to BC, intercepted by the TiCats GM and signed in Hamilton rather then BC.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

ed_lunsford wrote:Casey Printers as well, in a similar situation, flying out to BC, intercepted by the TiCats GM and signed in Hamilton rather then BC.
Actually that was Montreal who were originally going to sign him after his NFL options first dried up.
joe kapp22
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
ed_lunsford wrote:Casey Printers as well, in a similar situation, flying out to BC, intercepted by the TiCats GM and signed in Hamilton rather then BC.
Actually that was Montreal who were originally going to sign him after his NFL options first dried up.
There ya go, it is just a part of the business of the CFL, it happens, Dante Marsh wasn't happy about this, but that will get handled out on the field.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

ed_lunsford wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
There ya go, it is just a part of the business of the CFL, it happens, Dante Marsh wasn't happy about this, but that will get handled out on the field.
It'll have to wait until next year barring a playoff matchup.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Too funny:
"This was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made. The fans, players and coaches in B.C. have been nothing but great and supportive of me for my career there, but if I returned there, it would have been for selfish reasons," said Foley in a statement. "I have a unique opportunity to play in front of my family and friends and play for my hometown Argos, and at the end of the day, my family comes first, so I'm very excited to help bring Toronto a Grey Cup."

Foley was the Lions' second selection in the 2006 CFL Draft (1st round, 4th overall).

On Tuesday morning, Foley was a guest on TEAM 1040 Radio in Vancouver and sounded like he was looking forward to returning to the Lions.

"When I chose B.C., it was like that's the team that I've won a Cup with, winning Canadian Player of the Year, leading the league in sacks, with my boys out there and the staff," Foley told TEAM 1040 Radio. "It's where I know I've had success, and I love the city out there. They support the Lions so much out there."
Turncoat Foley :juggle:
joe kapp22
Legend

Big picture, we still need a rush end, even though we are what #2 or #1 in the CFL in sacks?

The Dline is deep overall, but we could use that one additional piece imho.

I thought Foley could be that guy, but now Wally has to flip through his speed dial..Brandon Sharpe ..who knows?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

cant blame a guy from wanting to play at home where his friends and family are.

I am quite sure that when he was saying he was coming back to BC, he wasnt expecting an offer from the argos. At least thats a possibility. People are allowed to changed their minds without being labelled bad because of it.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back