Outdoor Attendance a Concern?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

nelson95
Legend

The local free parking has been quashed by the local residents :wag:
Tow away zones along Boundary for the games. Don't know where the restaurant people will park since I parked at 415 in a 2 hr area that ended at 6. :tease:
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Going to be interesting to see how many are going in the rain that is expected.
I have to give a shout out to Lower Mainland football fans that attended last night's game. Steady rain all day (it slowed to a mist/drizzle by evening). 1-4 team playing b-o-r-i-n-g football (at least on offense). 5 straight home losses dating back to last season (including preseason). Still, 24,876 shlepped out to East Vancouver to watch the Lions - that's 90% capacity, and I can tell you first hand that there didn't appear to be many no-shows. That number would have been people that passed through the turnstiles as the only empty seats were in the north endzone. The building was also quite loud throughout. :thup:

Lions fans deserve better. :bang:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Going to be interesting to see how many are going in the rain that is expected.
I have to give a shout out to Lower Mainland football fans that attended last night's game.

DH
No love for Vancouver Island fans who attended Saturday's game?
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
David wrote:I have to give a shout out to Lower Mainland football fans that attended last night's game.

DH
:rotf: NO! The song lies

They're the pride of all LM! ;)
Real women wear orange!!
ziggy
Legend

Was great taking the ferry home from the game yesterday. Breaking out of the drizzle of the mainland and into the sunshine of the island :yahoo: Almost made me forget the score!
David
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
David wrote:
I have to give a shout out to Lower Mainland football fans that attended last night's game.

DH
Not when they cheer for members of the opposition. :wink: I trust Eric Fraser's family attended the game and enjoyed watching their son.

Actually, I did think of you when I wrote that post. I know you (like me at times) have been critical of Vancouverites' support of the BC Lions, saying it's not a football town. Well, there were many more people in the stadium than I expected and I thought that point should be recognized. I brought my Dad to the game who lives in NY, and he was quite impressed with everything too - from the temp stadium, to the crowd support, to the quality of play (but the referees? Not so much).

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Regarding gameday weather, TSN trotted out a stat during the broadcast. They claimed that during the entire 27 season domed roof era of BC Place, only on nine occasions was there gametime rainfall. They gave the total number of games played as well, don't recall it or if they got it right (by my count it's 30 preseason, 240 reg season, 1 WSF, 9 WF, 6 GC, 286 total).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

David wrote: I brought my Dad to the game who lives in NY, and he was quite impressed with everything too - from the temp stadium, to the crowd support, to the quality of play (but the referees? Not so much).

DH
Too bad there was no"real" quality of play .. he might have really been impressed.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Not when they cheer for members of the opposition. :wink: I trust Eric Fraser's family attended the game and enjoyed watching their son.

Actually, I did think of you when I wrote that post. I know you (like me at times) have been critical of Vancouverites' support of the BC Lions, saying it's not a football town. Well, there were many more people in the stadium than I expected and I thought that point should be recognized. I brought my Dad to the game who lives in NY, and he was quite impressed with everything too - from the temp stadium, to the crowd support, to the quality of play (but the referees? Not so much).

DH
Yes, we were sitting with Eric's dad & stepmum. But I had my Willie Fleming #15 throwback jersey and Lions cap on! We drove over flying the Lions car flag you betcha. While I wish Eric all the success in the world (and he should have been a Lion, especially when I see one of the 3 guys drafted ahead of him by BC playing for a completely other team and whose tenure with BC was shorter than a Britney Spears Las Vegas wedding) I cheer for the guys in black and orange - no exceptions. BTW I think the unis they wore on Saturday are the sweetest in pro football.

In all honesty David I don't care about what kind of sports town Vancouver is. I really don't. Vancouver can be what it wants to be and I'll be what I want to be and I'm cool with that. I'm just happy to have my buddies on this forum to kvetch to! :beauty:
nelson95
Legend

I enjoyed the game despite the outcome
Decades of rugby in the rain have made me immune to rain
I was in shorts and soked from several hours at playland
Most of the empire quirks are fixed and the lower the crowd the easier it is for us fans to get around
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Soundy
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
David wrote:I have to give a shout out to Lower Mainland football fans that attended last night's game.

DH
:rotf: NO! The song lies

They're the pride of all LM! ;)
Well, it does say, "from the mountains TO the sea"... nothing about ACROSS the sea!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.