Martell Mallet waived by Eagles

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joe kapp22
Legend

Eagles waived RB Martell Mallett.
The CFL's 2009 rookie of the year with the BC Lions lost his roster spot to J.J. Arrington, who offers a similar skill-set with superior talent.
Eh, we are loaded at Running Back though.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

ed_lunsford wrote:
Eagles waived RB Martell Mallett.
The CFL's 2009 rookie of the year with the BC Lions lost his roster spot to J.J. Arrington, who offers a similar skill-set with superior talent.
Eh, we are loaded at Running Back though.
Wouldn't hurt to bring him back. He's young and probably has more open field speed than the elder Robertson. I was surprised he signed with the Eagles last season... although he won the rookie award, there are more talented RB's in the NFL and CFL for that matter. Bring him back, put a player package together for a trade. It's looking more like we need a safety or more CDN depth at the receiver spot.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robertson is a capable back, and a better receiver than Mallett.

But their running ability is not especially relevant in view of how few times we run the ball.

IMO ...
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Are you people serious? I would find a spot for Mallett right freaking now!!!!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I was surprised he was signed in the NFL with his upright running style, he would get killed down there. Mallett was released by the Lions, so unless he has another secret deal with Buono, he's a free agent and can sign with any team. Wally bad-mouthed Mallett recently saying he was one-dimensional while Robertson was the complete package.
I hadn't heard this but hasn't Wally also said you can't have too many good backs? He is younger than Robertson with more upside if he doesn't want to try and catch on with a new NFL team like many try to do. I can see him bringing him back. It is a brutal business that way.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
nelson95
Legend

Less fumbilitis than Robertson but who's to say Mallet won't split again

He's a free agent tho can't see the Lions offering much and who is weak at RB in the league? Nobody IMO
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
David
Team Captain

Despite an all-world first outing in a Lions uniform, Jamal Robertson has been a bit of disappointment to me. Yes, there are the fumbles. But I also expected more reliable blocking from him, and better hands too.

With that in mind, I'd be tempted to re-sign Mallett. He's more of a punishing north-south runner that will consistently get you 5-6 yards a carry, whether it's to the outside or up the A gap. Mind you, given the chance, I think Jamall Lee could do the same. Except the OC seems content to only give him 2-3 touches a game and that's his lot. :bang:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Despite an all-world first game outing, Jamal Robertson has been a bit of disappointment to me. Yes, there are the fumbles. But I also expected better blocking from him, and better hands too.
David, I was a big Martell Mallett fan. Still am, in fact.

But I wonder if the blocking schemes and the balance between play design, play calling and game planning are what ails the run game this year.

If that is the case, I suspect Mallett will no more effective than Robertson.

The Lions did say they would not emphasize the run as much this year. And we have seen that, for sure.

Bring Mallett back? I don't know if it would make any difference.

Since Wally likes to shake things up with player releases at times, it would not be a shocker if he signed Mallett and cut Robertson loose. Help the running game? Dunno.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Hmmm...FWIW, Dante Marsh tweeted that Mallett signed with the Als....we'll see
Real women wear orange!!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:Hmmm...FWIW, Dante Marsh tweeted that Mallett signed with the Als....we'll see
If true, I would expect Mallett could be gangbusters with the Alouettes. Ouch.
hutch
Champion

burn! Wally gives him a release to try and chase his dream and then after his release he signs with the Als? Can't blame him can we? What has the offense shown that he would like?
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, Martell signed in Montreal per Dante Marsh
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

How can he sign in Montreal before he clears waivers?