Pre-season TV

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Suitor was on TEAM 1040 this afternoon suggesting that the big wigs are currently planning on showing some pre-season games for the near future. IMO, they should only show the second pre-season game if they do, as that one has a little more of the regulars playing.
Entertainment value = an all time low
jim604
All Star

Want to see more, for sure. I would watch both weeks, as in our case for week 1 we were on the road. A few teams had coverage on the community cable channel, nothing west of Regina that I'm aware of though. TSN should pick this up, as is with the schedule there is nothing on for sports worth watching IMO, basketball included. I found myself tuning into Hamilton and Calgary games via web radio I am that hungry for CFL this time of year.
bclions16
Champion

It would be nice to have the webcast schedule on the CFL site by now. I hope the webcasts are of an HD quality this year, most other sports leagues can do it.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
orangegloves
Starter

bclions16 wrote:It would be nice to have the webcast schedule on the CFL site by now. I hope the webcasts are of an HD quality this year, most other sports leagues can do it.
Are they going to have webcasts in Canada this year? They didn't last year, and the 2008 season only had Friday Night games. Since I didn't have TV last year, I was willing to pay a flat fee to watch the games online but nothing existed. I had to resort to watching the games on a number of illegal streaming websites. I'm kinda of shocked that the CFL and TSN don't allow the games to be streamed on their websites. It only exposes their games more, and gets their sponsors more money. Lets hope the CFL and TSN figure it out this year.
bclions16
Champion

orangegloves wrote:
bclions16 wrote:It would be nice to have the webcast schedule on the CFL site by now. I hope the webcasts are of an HD quality this year, most other sports leagues can do it.
Are they going to have webcasts in Canada this year? They didn't last year, and the 2008 season only had Friday Night games. Since I didn't have TV last year, I was willing to pay a flat fee to watch the games online but nothing existed. I had to resort to watching the games on a number of illegal streaming websites. I'm kinda of shocked that the CFL and TSN don't allow the games to be streamed on their websites. It only exposes their games more, and gets their sponsors more money. Lets hope the CFL and TSN figure it out this year.
Not sure, didn't the CFL and Insinc provide games online for a fee? I'll start a thread shortly on viewing alternatives to TSN - for travelers, US residents, not TV people etc.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'll watch our road preseason game. I know the outcomes mean nothing (except to the guys fighting for a roster spot) but its still football, IMO. I remember not so long ago our road games were not always televised (thats changed since TSN, thankfully).
Gary
Starter

With TSN having two channels for the past year or so, it's hard to imagine that they don't have preseason CFL games on already.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

TSN Broadband offers the games a few hours "after the fact" for free (and commercial/break free). Being on the other side of the world, being able to watch the afternoon games (our middle of the night) 6 or 7 hours later was great.
Lloyd
bclions16
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:The CFL turned over the rights to their broadband streaming to TSN, who turned it over to CTV...and it hasn't worked since. CTV is a big backer of the NFL/Super Bowl. I wonder if the CFL is even aware that their games are no longer available on broadband as they still seem to be promoting it? Fans across North American are willing to pay to see the games live if they were offered.
Last season I didn't use the web for any games, so not really familiar with all the ins and outs. But these links indicate that the CFL does sell live webcasts as of 09:

http://cfl.ca/page/webcast-schedule

http://cfl-us.insinc.com/

I've tried the test link, and the quality is pretty poor compared to other online HD broadcasts common today. I know some games we shown on ESPN360.com last year and they have amazing quality, but I believe it's only available here in the US (now known as ESPN3.com).
joe kapp22
Legend

No luck for Canadian CFL fans:
2009 Webcast Schedule

Please note: Live streaming of games is not available in Canada. However, all games are available ON DEMAND at TSN.ca shortly following the conclusion of the game.
Basically only reruns were available in 09.

Sad really, the only avenue available is P2P sharing when fans are more than willing to pay a fee to watch the games live.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Centrum22
Starter

ed_lunsford wrote:No luck for Canadian CFL fans:
2009 Webcast Schedule

Please note: Live streaming of games is not available in Canada. However, all games are available ON DEMAND at TSN.ca shortly following the conclusion of the game.
Sad really, the only avenue available is P2P sharing when fans are more than willing to pay a fee to watch the games live.
Is it really that awful? Just a couple of hours after the official start time you get to see the entire game commercial free without paying a thing. The real crime is the low video resolution of the stream.