Bombers expected to offer contract to Buck within 48 hrs

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lionut
Hall of Famer

I love Pierce's determination and grit, but man do I ever worry about his concussion history. Count me as one of those who believes he should actively consider retirement. I know that upsets competitive athletes - Matt Dunigan used to get quite angry and defensive about the "injury prone" label, but at some point they have to consider Buck's long term health. I hope he can make it go, but I will be cringing every time he takes a hit...
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Pierc ... story.html

Some excerpts from the article by Ed Tait ...
Pierce to Bombers hardly a done deal

By Ed Tait, Winnipeg Free Press
And as much as the Pierce camp is proclaiming the injury to his non-throwing shoulder is healed and the concussion issue is overblown, it's clear Bomber management is wrestling with the risk that comes with signing him.
One can easily understand how a team might be concerned about the health of Buck's shoulder, and about his propensity to get concussions.
And then there's the little matter of dealing with his agent's demands for the same dollar figures he received last year in B.C. -- $300,000 -- even if it was to be incentive-laden.
Not sure if Buck has truly established his pay scale at the elite level in the CFL.
"With a salary cap if you make a fairly substantial commitment to any position and that player gets hurt it can adversely affect the whole team," said Bomber boss Joe Mack on Tuesday. "And with a quarterback, if he gets hurt you not only lose your starter but somebody else who may have gotten the reps in practice hasn't been on the field as much."
The Bombers have four quarterbacks under contract: Steven Jyles, Stefan LeFors, Ricky Santos and Adam DiMichele, although reports indicate LeFors is not willing to return for the $90,000 he received from the club last year after having his salary cut mid-season.
The speculation regarding the Bombers and Buck has cooled a bit.

As I have said, I hope Buck lands a good gig, and I wish hiim all the best.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep, I was just gonna comment, it has been a very long 48 hours.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Pierce's last injury in 2009 was to his throwing shoulder. So he has both shoulders, ribs, back and concussion issues?

That's a lot to deal with.

I reviewed the play where he was injured last year in Winnipeg. Even now it is a surprise that he was injured as a result of that play. Was that the first injury to his throwing shoulder?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:I reviewed the play where he was injured last year in Winnipeg. Even now it is a surprise that he was injured as a result of that play. Was that the first injury to his throwing shoulder?
Pierce's throwing shoulder was first injured a couple of seasons ago. He chose not to have offseason surgery. Shoulder separations, like concussions, are cumulative. After each one, it takes less and less of a hit to cause the next one.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:I reviewed the play where he was injured last year in Winnipeg. Even now it is a surprise that he was injured as a result of that play. Was that the first injury to his throwing shoulder?
Pierce's throwing shoulder was first injured a couple of seasons ago. He chose not to have offseason surgery. Shoulder separations, like concussions, are cumulative. After each one, it takes less and less of a hit to cause the next one.
I know but didn't realize he's had both shoulder's injured at least once. What I'm more curious about is how many injuries to his throwing shoulder did he have?
bbang
Starter

According to Team 1040, Pierce has been offered a contract by the Bombers, which he has countered. No details.
"My job is to kick your ass " - Wally Buono
squishy35
Legend

bbang wrote:According to Team 1040, Pierce has been offered a contract by the Bombers, which he has countered. No details.

here's the link: http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=317036

I have a feeling that he will have settled on a contract by Friday.... the fact that his agent has already countered may imply that his NFL bids have not been too successful so far in impressing the teams he has been trying to impress....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Guesses?

My guess is the Bombers offered $200,000.

Buck's agent counters with $250,000.

I have to say: If Buck can stay healthy, he can be very, very good.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blue In BC wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
I know but didn't realize he's had both shoulder's injured at least once. What I'm more curious about is how many injuries to his throwing shoulder did he have?
According to a 2005 article lauding his character while at New Mexico State:

In 2002 he became the starter and nearly led the Aggies to a season-opening upset win over South Carolina. He ran for 64 yards and a touchdown and passed for 207 yards and another score as he kept 83,717 Gamecock fans on the edge of their seats.

But the next week, playing back in his home state, Pierce suffered a shoulder injury against Cal. It was one of many injuries Pierce had to battle back from during his career.

What about his last college game (2004), when after suffering a painful shoulder injury, he came off the bench to lead the Aggies to a crucial fourth quarter touchdown?

For the complete article:
http://www.nmstatesports.com/ViewArticl ... CLID=89759

Buck's grit and determination unfortunately has led to one injury after another going right back to his early college days. Who knows, maybe he had the same rep in Pop Warner.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Tighthead
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Guesses?

WCJ,

I can't see anyone offering $200K, and I think Buck would be nuts to turn it down.

Buck can be very good, but he can also be quite average when healthy.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Guesses?

Guesses? I guess this balloon blows up. I would think the Bombers would want incentives clauses in any deal to be based on his ability to remain healthy.

If he's looking for bonus's or guaranteed money, that should / would be a deal breaker. If there is ANY validity to NFL interest, why would he sign with any CFL team for a low end CFL deal?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Good for Buck if he lands a decent contract with the Bombers. I am not sure they have the best leadership any longer and not sure of the new HC based on a couple of his early statements. Winnipeg is sure no longer the bastion of good management as it once was based on some very strange decisions in recent times.

What has got Buck to where he is now in the pros has not been his toughness but his ability to make plays. This past year his toughness took over and dominated fan and media perceptions. Even Buck's self talk seems to be focused more on his playing style versus what kept him in BC in 2005 with Dickenson, Printers and Jackson all in front of him. Jarius got hurt on the first play from scrimmage and basically 2005 was a lost year of football for him as the other three QBs were playing well.

Buck came off the bench in that tilt in Regina with the Lions losing and looking out of it to bring the team storming back to a win. He subsequently started repeated this every time out including a stellar performance at BC Place over the Ti-cats when he was put in to give him some time and not seem to be running up the score only to have Buck shoot the lights out with Wally cringing on the sidelines part in admiration for the rookie and part mindful that he was not trying to humiliate the opponents who were already pretty much down and out. Buck continued to play well and was quickly adapting to the pro offence and Dickenson's style of picking apart and stretching defences like a rubber band to the point they broke. Along the way, he was good on his feet.

Quite frankly, I have been extremely disappointed in two things. One disappointment I have is listening to Buck talk of how he plays which implies that he doesn't see himself adjusting his thinking to realizing survival and not being hurt are crucial pro QB skills. He truly is coming up to his final season if it plays out like last year with on and off again injuries to that shoulder.

Secondly, I have been disappointed in that the Pierce camp has seemingly failed to adequately address the injury to the shoulder situation that kept recurring and how things will be different this year. On the latter issue, it seems that fans will be doubters until either he proves he can play without one hit benching him as there is no sign that Buck's agent gets it as agents usually advise how to message manage these things. It for sure makes one wonder if there is something so chronically damaged in that shoulder that he is just an awkward hit away or if they just don't grasp Media Messaging 101. The stories of how athletes have been treated and recovered are legendary in sports with athletes giving you details of operations that you'd expect would only come from surgeons themselves. This is the modern world where you now go online ahead of surgery to see for yourself the technique your surgeon uses. Even local amateur athletes when told of the doctor that is going to operate on a knee can tell you what procedure that guy uses. In Buck's case there has been no clear statement that says he had this problem and that is now fixed. He did hint that he played hurt last year.

For Buck to be successful from here on in means a thinking adjustment. He must see that his role is to run the offence not prove his toughness as no one will ever question that! They want their QB to be in the game and survival in the pros is much higher on the skills list than running for a first down is. One of the reasons that RBs have shorter careers is the hits that diminish their effectiveness. One of the reasons QB have longevity is their ability to avoid that big hit. Hopefully for Buck's sake they lay the law down for him right up front. We will not tolerate dangerous runs! Avoid big hits or you won't play!

What advice do these agents give their clients these days? I am a huge Buck Pierce fan but I want the guy to play not be injured both for the sake of the person and for his career.

If Wally turfing him doesn't get the message to him what will???????????
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I know the Bombers are desperate for a starting QB. I'm afraid they will take a chance on Pierce and his injury history and it will come back to haunt them.

From my point of view, it's too big a risk to take. Even if he does stay healthy, I'll cringe every time he looks like he's going to get hit or does get hit.

That's not how I want to watch my team play, thinking they are one hit from the end of the season. Watching the hit Pierce took in Winnipeg by D Brown which effectively ended Pierce's season makes me nervous.
Big Time
Champion

Considering the state of QB's in Winnipeg, I can't understand why they wouldn't offer him a contract. He's a legitimate CFL starter with experience and a Grey Cup ring. If he gets injured, they can cut him and move on to someone else. If he works out, they'll significantly improve their team. Seems like a win-win for everyone involved.

As an added bonus they won't even need to keep freezing Buck's shoulder when it separates, as the weather in Winnipeg will do that job for them.