Jarious Jackson to the Argos???

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

It appears that something may be brewing here....

I think Wally must be quite comfortable to have Lulay and Champion as the designated back ups...
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

thank God that for now, this is only some persons idle speculation :cr:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Lionut
Hall of Famer

I'm fine with this. JJ will be 33 this year, and he is who he is - a guy with a big arm, but limited upside. Printers is clearly the starter, and there is no way the club is going to want to pay starter type money to Jackson to carry a clipboard. That backup spot should be reserved for developing a young guy, not holding on to an aging veteran.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Lionut wrote:I'm fine with this. JJ will be 33 this year, and he is who he is - a guy with a big arm, but limited upside. Printers is clearly the starter, and there is no way the club is going to want to pay starter type money to Jackson to carry a clipboard. That backup spot should be reserved for developing a young guy, not holding on to an aging veteran.
I'm not. You're forgetting about the attrition rate our offensive scheme incurs at the QB position.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I've been curious about that possibility for a while now. There has been much debate about Buck vs Jarious as backup with valid cases made for both. However I don't think many of us considered that Buono could move both. The reality is doing so would be very much keeping in line with Wally's history. He tends to recognize when it's necessary to create room for a player to continue his development. Champion has to be at that point. BC has invested 2 years in his development to date. Another year as #4 would be a waste for both him and the club. It would really stagnate his development not to mention have him looking for another organization for next year. If they believe in his potential then they are at a point in time where they have to make room for him to advance up the depth chart and in turn fill the #4 development spot with another young QB with little or no pro experience.

If by your 3rd year (like Champion) you haven't moved onto the active roster then there can only be 2 reasons:
1) you aren't now nor will you be good enough to progress or
2) there is a logjam above you on the depth chart.

An organization should never have their #4 QB spot being held by a 3rd year player. That leaves only 2 solutions:
1) release or trade the #4 (in this case Champion).
2) clear the logjam by moving the #2 or #3 (in this case Jackson or Lulay).
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

we need one more season to make sure printers is the man, before getting rid of jackson.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:Another option could be the Lions renting JJ to the Argos for one season, trading him back to BC next year or if we have an QB injury?
Yeah, because that wouldn't raise any eyebrows at all, right?
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:This only makes sense. As far as I'm concerned, the Lions should be grooming T. Lulay to become our starter next season or certainly by 2012. He needs to play and probably shouldn't be stuck as a 3rd-stringer running the scout teams. Not to take any air out of Printers' sails, but if we get 1 or 2 years as a starter out of Casey, consider ourselves lucky.

While the Argos signed NFL'er Cleo Lemon (who beat out Dave Dickenson for the 3rd-stringer spot in Dave's second Charger season), one of Hamdan or Lemon will likely be cut in training camp. The 4 Argo QB's signed so far have completed zero passes in the CFL, so Jarious would be a great fit in Toronto.

Another option could be the Lions renting JJ to the Argos for one season, trading him back to BC next year or if we have an QB injury? Trading JJ would also open up the spectre of the Lions re-signing Buck at a more Cap friendly contract? :wink:

There is no reason to suspect that Printers won't be the starter next season if he does well this season. If Jackson is traded, then Lulay may see some more playing time this season, but to expect him to become the starter next season is a bit of a stretch.

At least until we see Printers play this season.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Why would the argos trade in KJ for JJ????
joe kapp22
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:This only makes sense. As far as I'm concerned, the Lions should be grooming T. Lulay to become our starter next season or certainly by 2012. He needs to play and probably shouldn't be stuck as a 3rd-stringer running the scout teams. Not to take any air out of Printers' sails, but if we get 1 or 2 years as a starter out of Casey, consider ourselves lucky.

While the Argos signed NFL'er Cleo Lemon (who beat out Dave Dickenson for the 3rd-stringer spot in Dave's second Charger season), one of Hamdan or Lemon will likely be cut in training camp. The 4 Argo QB's signed so far have completed zero passes in the CFL, so Jarious would be a great fit in Toronto.

Another option could be the Lions renting JJ to the Argos for one season, trading him back to BC next year or if we have an QB injury? Trading JJ would also open up the spectre of the Lions re-signing Buck at a more Cap friendly contract? :wink:

There is no reason to suspect that Printers won't be the starter next season if he does well this season. If Jackson is traded, then Lulay may see some more playing time this season, but to expect him to become the starter next season is a bit of a stretch.

At least until we see Printers play this season.
Well, there is also the idea that simply trading JJ just to trade him makes little sense, the Argos really don't have much to offer as they are rebuilding and have purged the roster already.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:we need one more season to make sure printers is the man, before getting rid of jackson.
One thing Buono coached teams have been known for is QB development. Keeping Jackson around strictly as insurance in case Printers doesn't pan out would only serve to stymie the development of Lulay and Champion. If the coaching staff truly believes Lulay and Champion can progress up the depth chart to become legitimate CFL starters then probably the most important thing they need now is more playing time. Both stand a far greater chance of getting that playing time if they are sitting in the #2 and #3 spots than if they are 1 notch farther down the depth chart. Barring anything unforeseen by the start of the 2011 season Jarious will be a 34 year old career backup with a cup of coffee as a starter. In Wally-world that doesn't sound like a QB of the future.

Another factor in the equation is their respective contract statuses. Jackson's extension last year was likely a 1+1 making him a free agent at the end of the season. Having seen the Lions switch from Pierce to Printers above him he knows he isn't the QB of the future for BC no matter what Printers does this year. Jackson is gone next year. Lulay I presume has at least another year plus option to go. Champion could be the same. If either are entering their option year then they too are most likely to test the FA market if they are still sitting in the #3 and #4 spots all year.

The more I think about the concept the more I like it. As the depth chart currently sits when the season starts BC will have a 29 year old starter with a 33 year old backup and two 26 year olds in the #3 (Lulay 27 in Sept) and #4 spots. Remove JJ from the equation and you have a 29 year old starter with a soon to be 27 year old backup, 26 year old #3 and presumably something like a 23 year old #4 if they choose to keep a 4th QB on the PR. This also serves to open up a spot on the 46 man roster as I believe they carried Champion there last year, but could more easily carry a raw rookie on the PR without risking losing him. From a personal standpoint I've always believed a team should have a veteran type backup like Jackson if you have a relatively inexperienced starter because you don't want to be in a situation where you have to go to an even more inexperienced backup should the starter falter. Conversely if you have a veteran starter you should have a younger backup presumably to develop into your next starter. I think the Lions are in the latter situation. If the Lions were concerned about Printers failing they wouldn't have signed him to the extension in the first place.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

[quote="ed_lunsford

Well, there is also the idea that simply trading JJ just to trade him makes little sense, the Argos really don't have much to offer as they are rebuilding and have purged the roster already.[/quote]

Trade him for draft picks. Can never have enough good Canadians.
Tighthead
Legend

I don't see the need for carrying Champion another season. Lulay looks bonafide, Champion was a wasted roster spot last year as we gave away top 5 draft picks.

I think JJ is the most appealing backup in the league. That is a nice thing to have. As for Lulay, give him equal reps to JJ in training, and get him in in blowouts for some live action.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote: [quote="ed_lunsford

Well, there is also the idea that simply trading JJ just to trade him makes little sense, the Argos really don't have much to offer as they are rebuilding and have purged the roster already.
Trade him for draft picks. Can never have enough good Canadians.[/quote]
unless you have even better Kokanees :wink: