Glatt and Jimenez Released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ik17
Rookie

Wall'ys on Team 1040 now.

Sounds like there were locker room issues with Jiminez... and he wasn't as committed to offseason training as managment wanted him to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:Jimenez is a surprise cut. But the team is fairly deep in non-import O Line personnel.
Justin Sorensen's natural position with South Carolina was right tackle. Perhaps if they like the way he's coming along his presence might be playing a small part in making Jiminez expendable as well as helping the ratio.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
ik17
Rookie

Wally's Quote:

"Everybody can rub somebody the wrong way at different times. For us, the big reason was that we wanted to have a guy that was more physical, more the kind of guy that we believe he can be, and at the end of the day we just didn't feel like we could reach Jason. Jason didn't give us the impression that he was willing to change some of the things that he was doing from a physical standpoint and from a personality standpoint. He probably will go someplace else and hopefully take what we said to heart and be a better player for it."
Rammer
Team Captain

ik17 wrote:Wally's Quote:

"Everybody can rub somebody the wrong way at different times. For us, the big reason was that we wanted to have a guy that was more physical, more the kind of guy that we believe he can be, and at the end of the day we just didn't feel like we could reach Jason. Jason didn't give us the impression that he was willing to change some of the things that he was doing from a physical standpoint and from a personality standpoint. He probably will go someplace else and hopefully take what we said to heart and be a better player for it."
After the "incident", I would have thought that would have curtailed Jimenez's nasty streak, but he went on to have a great 08 season, both physically and technically (without roughing flags). That said, he wasn't as good in 09, but still he didn't exactly have continuity throughout the season. I hate the idea of another team picking him up, but at his current salary, I don't see many teams with the 'right' fit for him. Now if he was a LT, that would be an entirely different matter.

Glatt will be interesting to watch, given his up/down play here. If he should rise to become a starter or even an allstar, can we then begin to look in the mirror at the deployment of our D schemes?

Good luck to both, both players have been warriors while in the Lions colours.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

ik17 wrote: You reveiewed his roster management? Did you also interview to be the GM in Winnipeg/Saskatchewan/Toronto?

Leave it to the experts... we JUST started making moves and you're already criticizing. Let the EXPERTS execute their plan, if it doesn't look good at the end of traning camp... speak up then. It's way too soon to say something already.
He has every right to state his opinion, just as you do. We do NOT require one to be an expert here to say so. Besides, he buys tickets, that makes him an expert.

Javy was a disappointment, and will likely end up in the Hammer as so many do. As for Jason, it's obvious that he and Wally had a set to, and the Lions O line will be the worse for it.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

re Javy

Glatt has been a classy player in his time here. I consider it unfortunate that he "got caught in the middle." IMO and some others here, he is more suited to an OLB position. His skills have seemed to be pass coverage and blitzing. He has not been very good at run stopping up the middle.

If he does not land that starter's spot somewhere I would be happy if he returned to the Lions.

re Jason

philosophical differences? Perhaps the coaches wanted him to play left tackle, and he didn't really want to. Or perhaps Wally just feels he has to justify his moves to the public. The reasons Wally sometimes gives for his roster moves do seem to be of the random variety. :wink:

Good luck to Jason. You brought a lot of character and skilled play to the team.

re critics and fans and cheerleaders ...

CFL football action is around the corner. Free agency. Draft. Training Camp.

And for all of us fans who like to have opinions on our team and the CFL game, it is time to sharpen the pen, umm .... warm up the keyboard. We won't be waiting for TC to start making our judgments. Lots of cheering, supporting, second guessing, and yes, criticism. Fans have their own time frames. Some are infinitely patient. Some make very fast judgments. Room for all to cover the pros and cons. This is not just a rah rah site: see no evil; hear no evil. We are not spokesmen (and women) for the Lions. We are fans. We see both the good and the bad.
Tighthead
Legend

Solar Max wrote:
ik17 wrote: You reveiewed his roster management? Did you also interview to be the GM in Winnipeg/Saskatchewan/Toronto?

Leave it to the experts... we JUST started making moves and you're already criticizing. Let the EXPERTS execute their plan, if it doesn't look good at the end of traning camp... speak up then. It's way too soon to say something already.
He has every right to state his opinion, just as you do. We do NOT require one to be an expert here to say so. Besides, he buys tickets, that makes him an expert.

Javy was a disappointment, and will likely end up in the Hammer as so many do. As for Jason, it's obvious that he and Wally had a set to, and the Lions O line will be the worse for it.
In my opinion the 2009 roster moves were a failure. I stated that at the end of 2009. Was that the appropriate time ? I did not interview for any GM positions. Why do you think I did? I think hoarding players you don't need and cutting top draft picks is mismanagement. Do you consider that good strategy?

Yes I am criticizing right now - based on the 2009 performance, I am not bullish on the Jiminez development. Now that I hear Wally's reasoning it seems even stranger - it sounds made up to me.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Didn't see the Jimenez move coming but perhaps a reflection of upcoming due bonuses and LU hinted a few weeks ago the Lions were considering playing one less import on the o-line.

Thanks Javy and Jason for some terrific years as BC Lions.
I"m listening to Wally for the second right now concerning Jiminez and it sounds as if neither the above are true. All coaches agreed there were problems in his play, he wasn't physical enough and wasn't willing to do what they were asking of him.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:I think Javy could have been effective in the right scheme,
Do you mean the one where the opposition has no running plays? Unfortunately we have no control over their schemes. Bubbye Javy
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

ik17 wrote:[

It looks like we're going for an import LB core (aside from Yurichuk)... you need cash to make that happen.
Why would you say that? I'm pretty sure imports are cheaper than Canadians. There is value in scarcity.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:re Javy

re Jason

perhaps Wally just feels he has to justify his moves to the public. The reasons Wally sometimes gives for his roster moves do seem to be of the random variety. :wink:
I was thinking this in the back of my mind. This could very well be an accurate synopsis.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I

The Lions new offensive coordinator is...J. Chapdelaine, to be announced on Monday.
What do you mean new?? lol
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Sherko to tackle.. ummm.. no?.. has he ever played tackle?.. dont believe so... nonsense.

So IMO as of now... it's:

Heerspink, Valli, Reid, Sherko, Sorensen... i don't believe Wally releases Jimenez if Sorensen was incapable of playing RT (4 years at SC)

And then down the road perhaps:

insert import LT, Hamester-Reis, Valli, Sherko, Sorensen...

SET.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
OV - 54:40
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:In LU's latest story the Lions are considering moving B. Miles into coaching/scout and making Tad Crawford the starter at safety...with Jason Arakgi as backup safety. The Lions are also considering moving Arakgi to offence as a receiver. (If he's half as good of receiver as his dad, he'll be an asset...the Lions desperately need a bigger target over the middle, and more non-import receiving depth).

The Lions have also had two conversations with B. Simpson.

The Lions new offensive coordinator is...J. Chapdelaine, to be announced on Monday. Not sure what happens to D. Dorazio...possibly moving up to associate HC?

http://communities.canada.com/theprovin ... wally.aspx
Crawford taking over at safety might be a decent fit - has put in the CFL time as a back-up to "develop"; he was a top notch starting safety in US college ball - he might be a very good CFL safety if he gets a full-time chance - been several years now with not that much actual playing time on the D; and then, he & Brent Johnson as the 2 starting NIs on defence is plenty enough; 2 NIs on D and 5 on O (4 O-linemen (Sorenson as a starting OT for Wally?) + Paris Jackson) would suffice, but maybe less will be needed if the CFL can succeed in reducing the number of NIs who get playing time (forget about Yurichuck "winning" the MLB job - it will go to an import - maybe the return of the let me be the star of the defence Barrin ?).

Arakgi as back-up safety OR tried at receiver ??? - could be i guess, good "athlete" and all, but he has little to zero playing experience at either position; more likely can continue as a top special teams gunner and maybe a decent back-up at either S or receiver. Arakgi competing with Jamall Lee as receiver projects? Andrew Harris could maybe move in as back-up safety if Arakgi can convert well to receiver.

I guess some good drafting could yield some potential players, but kinda hard to hold on to those "projects" it seems.
Last edited by OV - 54:40 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.