Kelly charged with assault

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:And do the results of the alleged assault have anything to do with this? Or was that just an excuse?
The Bombers are saying the timing is 'just a coincidence', and that Kelly was getting the chop anyhow. (But then they could hardly say anything else!)

Yeah, that's a bad day all right. It's not quite midnight in Winnipeg - Kelly still has time to drive into a fire hydrant and be assaulted with a golf club. The evening is young.

Kind of puts our concerns about coaches guilty of 'predictable play calling' into perspective, though.
Oh yeah. All peace and quiet here in Tranquility Bay. Wally's World. Yawn. :sleep:

I was thinking Mike Kelly should stay home tonight. No drinking. Get a body guard. Lock the doors. Don't answer the phone. Stay away from sharp objects.

About this discussion of violence. Men and women. If Tiger fooled around. Seems to be lots of evidence that he did. If Tiger's wife hit him with a golf club as a consequence. Would that be OK? (Of course not.)

Tiger must be having a very tough time dealing with the "manliness" aspect of it. Beaten by his wife with a golf club for infidelity (If this is not what happened, it certainly has been getting media attention as a distinct possibility). Marital troubles. Golf career in limbo. Too ashamed to come out in public. Sponsors dropping him. Wife off to Sweden. Dumb looking driving accident. Image hugely damaged. Et cetera.

Life in the media bubble. Ughhhh 30, 40, 50 years ago, athletes lived like Kings and Princes. The media left their private lives alone.

Trade off. Wealth and fame. But no privacy. None. And the media and much of the public rather enjoy the comedown for the stars.
Bobbyp
Champion

Tighthead wrote:If he was with the Riders he would coach from his basement.
lol
if some womens dumb enough to hit me i wouldnt hestitate to hit back. I worked in bars for many years and it was the women that were by far the worst.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
MacNews
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:You say that like a woman hitting a man is OK? Physical assaults regardless of gender are deplorable.
:whs:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
CatsEyes wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:You say that like a woman hitting a man is OK? Physical assaults regardless of gender are deplorable. In this day and age, it is high time we dispensed with the notion that a form of violence is either more or less acceptable depending on the gender of the victim. It is all bad, period.
Image Image Image

Bravo and well said, Sir P! I was thinking just that very thing, but you said it much better!

Exactly where did I say it is ok for anyone to hit anyone?????? If you must put words in someone's mouth make it your own...... Again read my post...... where does it say that I said it is ok for a woman to hit a man....? Where? Show me.......

Point taken, you didn't say it was "OK" to hit anyone, however you made the following reference.

"Assault is cowardly and really shows the character of an individual who would hit a woman"

The implication seemed pretty clear that hitting a woman is somehow worse than hitting a man. Now if I jumped too harshly on the words; incorrectly interpreted your meaning, I apologize. This particular issue does strike a particularly strong chord with me, having seen too many instances where the rules seem to be different for men vs women to the advantage/disadvantage of both genders.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Back on track, does this mean the Bombers won't have to pay the 2 years remaining on his contract because he was fired "with cause"?
ziggy
Legend

Not if its "cause" he was a crappy coach, I think you still have to pay. :beer: From what I've been hearing he has no morals clause in his contract and even if he did, so far all there is are allegations.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Kelly was going to coach again next year. Bombers would have prefered to let him go but could not be paying two! ex fired coaches while hiring a third. This charge allowed them the out they didn't expect. Christmas for the bomber brass. Statements from them saying they were going to fire him anyways is a lie.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Two people have a tussle. Both have some level of bruising. Man gets arrested. Woman walks.

This stereotype is long over due an overhaul.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Check here for the Kelly Chronicle of Cantankerousness:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/2009/12 ... 94326.html
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Check here for the Kelly Chronicle of Cantankerousness:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/2009/12 ... 94326.html
Thanks for posting, sj-roc. Very interesting log of his quotes, actions and controversies.

It's a head shaker. This man is out of control. Doesn't say much for the screening process when the Bombers hired him. I hope the Bombers get things under control before they slip down into Argos' territory.

Kelly brings back memories of Jeff Reinbold, another guy in his own world. He was actually a helluva special teams coach with the Lions at one time. I attended a work shop where he was a presenter. He kept it low key at that time, but you could tell he was not your Tom Landry or Wally Buono type. More like a skinny little Hells Angel with his Harley. Vroom vroom.
Dec. 2/08—The Ringmaster Arrives

What: His first day on the job, Kelly makes it clear what his area of expertise is.

Quotable: “No one’s touching the quarterbacks but me.” — Kelly

Jan. 13/09 — Sign of Trouble?

What: Director of player personnel Brendan Taman resigns, citing burnout.

Quotable: “I would tell you if I couldn’t work with Mike Kelly.” — Taman

Jan. 21/09—QB Conundrum

What: Citing his faith in unproven Stefan LeFors, Kelly puts veteran Kevin Glenn on the trade block.

Quotable: “There comes a time, in everyone’s career at places, that maybe a change of scenery would help them.” — Kelly

Jan. 27/09 — The Napkin Caper

What: Kelly takes a run at Taman’s scouting system.

Quotable: “Everything was done on napkins, I guess.” — Kelly

Jan. 29/09 — Apology No. 1

What: Kelly posts 1,100-word statement on the team web site.

Quotable: “I apologize to Brendan for the perceived slight.” — Kelly

March 9/09—QB Conundrum, Pt. II

What: Kelly releases Glenn, outright.

Quotable: “I have a lot of confidence in the intelligence and athleticism of the (quarterbacks) we have under contract right now.” — Kelly

March 18/09 — Oops, Pt. I

What: The CFL raps Kelly’s knuckles for planning to have his QBs join rookies at a free agent camp.

Quotable: Nothing, because an irate Kelly was quickly muzzled by club president Lyle Bauer.

April 21/09 — Crotch Shot

What: Kelly refers to Saskatchewan as the “crotch of Canada.”

Quotable: “We kind of raided the toothless, green, watermelon-helmet-wearing people from the crotch of Canada.” —Kelly

April 24/09 — Apology No. 2

What: Bauer issues a formal apology.

June 3/09 — Oops, Pt. II

What: The CFL admonishes Kelly again for having his veteran QBs get together prior to training camp.

June 3/09 — Media Wars

What: Kelly clashes with Winnipeg TV crews over restricted filming times on the first day of rookie camp.

June 18/09 — Shotgun Blast

What: Kelly questions the wisdom of coaches using the shotgun formation.

Quotable: Kelly said the shotgun was for “flag football and guys that haven’t coached quarterbacks very well.”

June 21/09 — Oops, Pt. III

What: The league forces the Bombers to give up two draft picks to B.C. when it’s discovered the pick they originally sent to the Lions for O-lineman Kelly Bates had already been conditionally promised to another team in another deal.

June 29/09 — Media Wars, the Sequel

What: Kelly flips out on TV crews after one of them films his kicker running a fake punt in practice.

Quotable: Nothing, because Kelly refused to do his daily media scrum after practice.

June 29/09 — Gone, Not Forgotten

What: A public backlash causes the Bombers to reverse their decision to give linebacker Siddeeq Shabazz the No. 1 jersey last worn by perennial all-star running back Charles Roberts.

The Season

Week 2 — The Armstrong Affair

What: star receiver Derick Armstrong balks at taking a backup role, has a heated argument with Kelly and is eventually released.

Quotable: “The team is always bigger than any individuals.” —Kelly

Week 3 — SpyGate

What: Bomber scout is caught spying on Hamilton’s practice.

Quotable: “It’s a non-isssue, it’s been handled internally and I’m not talking about it.” — Kelly

Week 5 — About-Face

What: Citing a bad environment in which to groom a QB, Kelly gives up on Stefan LeFors and signs CFL castoff Michael Bishop.

Quotable: “It’s just the schizophrenic reactions to wins and losses around here.” —Kelly

Week 7 — Oops, Pt. IV

What: After saying Kelly Bates was hurt, the Bombers improperly try to cut the veteran O-lineman, eventually relegating him to the nine-game injury list.

Week 8 — The LeFors Saga

What: Turns out Kelly’s annointed QB was given an ultimatum: take a $60,000 pay cut, or get cut.

Quotable: “When I feel like I have a gun to my head, what am I going to do?” — LeFors

Week 9 — Don’t Touch that Dial

What: Kelly bans callers to his weekly radio call-in show.

Quotable: “You can ask questions face-to-face, rather than having phone muscles... don’t hide behind a computer or a phone and act like you’re a big guy.” — Kelly

Week 9 — Pacman Cometh

What: News breaks the Bombers are on the verge of signing NFL bad boy Pacman Jones. After watching Jones’ web video the next day, the plan is scrapped.

Quotable: “I just signed with the UFL, man. So I’ll go to the UFL and do my thing and get ready for the playoff run in the NFL ... I meant to say the CFL, man, not the UFL. My bad.” — Jones

Week 10 — The Simpson Diaries, Pt. I

What: Veteran linebacker Barrin Simpson asks to be traded.

Quotable: “It’s just a business disagreement.” — Simpson

Week 11 — Shipped Out

What: The Bombers trade veteran receivers Romby Bryant and Arjei Franklin.

Quotable: “Romby loves the fact he’s out of there. He’s been asking since Day 2 or 3 to get out of there.” — TSN commentator Milt Stegall, on Bryant.

Week 12 — The Simpson Diaries, Pt. II

What: The CFL overturns Winnipeg’s attempt to place Simpson on the nine-game injury list because Simpson didn’t agree to the move. Meanwhile, the linebacker is banned from the locker-room for allegedly being a negative influence.

Quotable: “That is ridiculous. Someone’s trying to make me look bad.” — Simpson

Week 12 — The Confrontation?

What: A TSN report says Bishop was ready to quit the team after a confrontation with Kelly.

Quotable: “That is absolutely beautiful. The only time he and I have ever raised the volume is when we’re laughing.” — Kelly

Week 16: Old Lefty Returns/Media Wars

What: Desperate for a healthy punter, Kelly brings back kicker Troy Westwood, who’d been banished by former coach Doug Berry.

Quotable: “That isn’t how we want to treat Winnipeg Blue Bombers.” — Kelly

What: Kelly causes another firestorm by changing practice time the day before a game without telling the media.

Quotable: “I want to apologize to everyone who had their panties in a ball.” — a sarcastic Kelly

Week 17 — Radio B.S.

What: Kelly launches into a juvenile tirade on the radio after an embarrassing loss in Montreal.

Quotable: “Media bulls---” — the term Kelly used before hanging up on play-by-play man Bob Irving

Week 18 — The Floyd Fiasco

What: Kelly get into it with Hamilton linebacker Otis Floyd in the final game of the regular season.

Quotable: “He has no class at all. He told me to go f--- myself.” — Floyd

“Does Otis have a degree? I doubt it.” — Kelly

The Post-Season

Nov. 10: Kelly vows to return in 2010: “I know damn well I’ll be back. I’m not going anywhere.”

Grey Cup Week: Kelly gets into an argument with a fan in a Calgary bar.

Today: Kelly charged with assault and harrassment at his home near Philadelphia, after a domestic incident that left his former girlfriend cut and bruised. Hours later, Bombers fire Kelly.
Bosco
Team Captain

What a charming individual that Mike Kelly... although, he may have a point about Saskatchewan. :hmm:
ziggy
Legend

Yeah, glad we got Wally :cheer:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

"What: Kelly refers to Saskatchewan as the “crotch of Canada.”

See? He's not completely stupid.
Rammer
Team Captain

Smile you're on candid camera.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Entertainment value = an all time low