A Sad Loss--Sorry Rider Fans!!!!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Vern Halen
Champion

Blitz wrote:
Vern Halen wrote:Thanks for the kind words, folks, but I'm really disappointed right now.

We were one stupid penalty from taking the Cup away from a team that many expected to beat us by three touchdowns.

Even though there are some already looking for a goat for tonight we Rider fans are very proud of our team right now, and we are hoping for another great season next year. Another thing I was pleased with: By being classy in defeat Miller garnered more respect than you can imagine. Trophies come an go, but respect and honour are forever.

Here's to another great season of the CFL! :beer:

This is the part I hate the most - THE OFF-SEASON.

Here's hoping the Lions have a bounce back season from injuryville this past year - trust me, I know how it feels.

Cheers, Lionbackers!!! :rockin: :thup:

Cheers to you...Vern Halen...it may not count on the Grey Cup trophy, but in so many ways you won the game tonite. Sometimes, in that situation, a team will put 12 men out there and no returner. However, you had Armstead on both times. Makes me think someone didn't come off the field.

Often a special team defensive unit will have a number of different units from a field goal block team to their standard unit to a no returner unit. Too much excitement in that moment probably. I still think a timeout should have been called, if you had one.

That's the responsibility of everyone on the unit.to communicate....even though your special teams coach Red is taking responsibility.
Not suprised that Reed is taking responsibilty - very classy guy but some Rider fans will still hang the goat horns on him.

We're proud of our boys and I hope they made the rest of the league stand up and take notice - the Riders are for real and look out in 2010!!
Smooth
All Star

Any word on whose lawn Rider Nation dumped the manure on this year?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TSN - The Agony of Defeat :bawl:

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Smooth
All Star

Riders' Off Season Training Material:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x72GXEgAnGA

:beauty:
Spud387
Champion

Smooth wrote:Riders' Off Season Training Material:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x72GXEgAnGA

:beauty:
Oh man... i lol'd that was good
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Vern Halen wrote:Thanks for the kind words, folks, but I'm really disappointed right now.

We were one stupid penalty from taking the Cup away from a team that many expected to beat us by three touchdowns.

Even though there are some already looking for a goat for tonight we Rider fans are very proud of our team right now, and we are hoping for another great season next year. Another thing I was pleased with: By being classy in defeat Miller garnered more respect than you can imagine. Trophies come an go, but respect and honour are forever.

Here's to another great season of the CFL! :beer:

This is the part I hate the most - THE OFF-SEASON.

Saskatchewan had already used their last time-out prior to the 1st missed field goal, at around the 10 second mark by then Blitz

Here's hoping the Lions have a bounce back season from injuryville this past year - trust me, I know how it feels.

Cheers, Lionbackers!!! :rockin: :thup:

Cheers to you...Vern Halen...it may not count on the Grey Cup trophy, but in so many ways you won the game tonite. Sometimes, in that situation, a team will put 12 men out there and no returner. However, you had Armstead on both times. Makes me think someone didn't come off the field.

Often a special team defensive unit will have a number of different units from a field goal block team to their standard unit to a no returner unit. Too much excitement in that moment probably. I still think a timeout should have been called, if you had one.

That's the responsibility of everyone on the unit.to communicate....even though your special teams coach Red is taking responsibility.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:

Saskatchewan had already used their last time-out prior to the 1st missed field goal, at around the 10 second mark by then Blitz.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Robbie
Hall of Famer

• The loss drops the Riders Grey Cup record to 3-14. :surrender:
• The loss was the first time all season that the Riders lost a game after leading by three quarters. :wag:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

How many riders does it take to win the grey cup????? -1 heheheheh
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Rammer
Team Captain

I can't imagine the pain of the individual Rider player that was responsible for the too many men flag. For the rest of his life the unlucky 13 number works into conversations, he will only have one reflection. This gaff is almost larger than the Steve Smith own goal for the Oilers loss vs the Flames, only smaller in that we don't know who it was.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I can't imagine the pain of the individual Rider player that was responsible for the too many men flag. For the rest of his life the unlucky 13 number works into conversations, he will only have one reflection. This gaff is almost larger than the Steve Smith own goal for the Oilers loss vs the Flames, only smaller in that we don't know who it was.
I don't recall a play in which it was the difference between winning or losing the championship on the final play.

Steve Smith's own goal occurred with about 15 minutes left in the third period - more than enough time for the Oilers to tie the game but they didn't. Even if Smith didn't score in his own goal, the game would have been tied and there's nothing to say that the Flames would have scored later in that period.

Bill Buckner's error in game 6 of the 1986 World Series occurred when the game ways already tied up after the Mets scored two runs courtesy of three straight hits and a wild pitch. And there was also a game 7 to play in.
Last edited by Robbie on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
Rammer
Team Captain

I actually thought that was how much time had gone in the period, as I remember it being much closer to the finish of Game 7. Perry Berezan got the credit for that goal, and a birthday that Steve Smith won't forget I am sure.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I actually thought that was how much time had gone in the period, as I remember it being much closer to the finish of Game 7. Perry Berezan got the credit for that goal, and a birthday that Steve Smith won't forget I am sure.
Trust me on this one, that goal was scored five minutes into the third period to break a 2-2 tie.

As memorable as Lui Passaglia's final field goal in the 1994 Grey Cup, it wasn't a do or die situation for the Lions as had he missed, the game would have simply gone to overtime at 23-23 and there's nothing to say that the Lions couldn't have won it in OT. The same thing with Dave Ridgeway's field goal in the 1989 Grey Cup as the game was tied at 40-40.

Obviously, it's always more thrilling when the team is behind, like before the last play of the 1994 WDF, and the 2004 WDF as wel. Duncan O'Mahony is rarely remember for his good parts, but his OT field goal was indeed do or die as the McCallum miss gave the Roughriders a one point lead, and had O'Mahony missed his FG from 40 yards out it would have likely been run out.
祝你龍年行大運。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I actually thought that was how much time had gone in the period, as I remember it being much closer to the finish of Game 7. Perry Berezan got the credit for that goal, and a birthday that Steve Smith won't forget I am sure.
The other funny thing was, Berezan wasn't even on the ice when that goal was scored; he was already on the bench after the dump in.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Big Time
Champion

Robbie wrote:Obviously, it's always more thrilling when the team is behind, like before the last play of the 1994 WDF, and the 2004 WDF as wel. Duncan O'Mahony is rarely remember for his good parts, but his OT field goal was indeed do or die as the McCallum miss gave the Roughriders a one point lead, and had O'Mahony missed his FG from 40 yards out it would have likely been run out.
What was funny for me while I was at that game is that I was so caught up in the fact that McCallum missed, that I actually FORGOT that he got 1 point on that kick. So when Duncan kicked for the win, I wasn't that nervous because I thought the game would just continue if he missed. When I looked up and saw the final was 27-25, I realized that the game had actually been on the line!

At least I saved myself another heart attack during that final kick :beer: