Armstead (not) the goat.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BEEECEEE
All Star

With the score 27-25, I would assume the coach would stack 12 players at the line to try and block the feild goal. A single point wouldn't matter in this case. This would mean Armstead should not have out there. Am I correct?
Formely sfu_guy
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

BEEECEEE wrote:With the score 27-25, I would assume the coach would stack 12 players at the line to try and block the feild goal. A single point wouldn't matter in this case. This would mean Armstead should not have out there. Am I correct?
I wouldn't say it was Armstead's fault, he was supposed to be back there.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hard to know...but there could have been confusion....but usually the returner is responsible for doing the count anyway.,,,
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Blitz wrote:Hard to know...but there could have been confusion....but usually the returner is responsible for doing the count anyway.,,,
But they didn't have any more time outs left. All he could have done would be to try and get himself off the field or yell at whoever was on the end to get off. Neither would have been likely to happen in time.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The Alouettes scored 17 points on their last three possessions after having previously being held to only 11 to that point. Like Bill Buckner in 1986 who simply executed the last in a series of bad plays, no one Ssk player deserves to be singled out for this loss.

From Ssk's POV, a lot of other things went wrong on those three drives to set up the final outcome. And let's not forget that Ssk's offence only needed two first downs on their last possession to run out the clock, but went two and out and failed to do so.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:The Alouettes scored 17 points on their last three possessions after having previously being held to only 11 to that point. Like Bill Buckner in 1986 who simply executed the last in a series of bad plays, no one Ssk player deserves to be singled out for this loss.

From Ssk's POV, a lot of other things went wrong on those three drives to set up the final outcome. And let's not forget that Ssk's offence only needed two first downs on their last possession to run out the clock, but went two and out and failed to do so.
I agree.

The Rider O stopped attacking after the big lead.

The Rider D slipped into prevent mode. 3 man rush.

It is harsh to put it on one guy.

Can't a missed field goal still be recovered by the kicking team? Or is that rule long gone?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Can't a missed field goal still be recovered by the kicking team? Or is that rule long gone?
Only by the kicker; everyone else on the kicking team is offside until the return touches it, unless they happen to be behind the kicker during the kick, which almost never happens on a FGA.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Can't a missed field goal still be recovered by the kicking team? Or is that rule long gone?
Only by the kicker; everyone else on the kicking team is offside until the return touches it, unless they happen to be behind the kicker during the kick, which almost never happens on a FGA.
Yeah, that is what I thought. Which means you do need to cover the kick if it misses and rolls around in the end zone.

Plus the rule is confusing, possibly especially so for an American player. For example, would a tackler have to give yards on a live ball on the ground? (I think so.) Does the returner have to pick the ball up and possess it or just touch it as it lays on the ground? (I think he does have to pick it up and possess it. Othewise it is live to the kicker and the onside guys.)

I'm not gonna throw any bricks at Armstead and Reed. Sounds like Reed has taken the blame. He manned up, taking the heat off Armstead. :thup:
The_Pauser
Legend

Lion_Pride_26 wrote: I wouldn't say it was Armstead's fault, he was supposed to be back there.
No he wasn't...that would just be stupid because a single point still gave the Riders a victory. They even said on TSN that "someone [Armstead]" was late running into the end zone.
Roar you Lions roar!
BEEECEEE
All Star

Also, why would armstead still be out there for the second try? Maybe it wasn't armstead. The mystery deepens.
Formely sfu_guy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here's Saskatchewan's explanation of what happened:
The Roughriders sent an extra lineman onto the field for the second field goal attempt to try and block it, but failed to take another player off.

Special teams coach Kavis Reed took responsibility for the gaffe and refused to say which player should have come off.

"The player's name is not important," Reed said. "What's important is that a mistake was made and ultimately I think I'm responsible for that mistake.

"It was not a heat-of-the moment thing. I was going through the mechanics of counting. I asked people to verify the count and that mistake was made.

"Guys going on the field are communicating to the guys coming off the field that we're running the play. You communicate going on the field that we're running the block. Those guys who are not on that team know to come off. Obviously someone didn't get that."
RIDERS' MISTAKE COSTS THEM GREY CUP IN GUT-WRENCHING FASHION
LFITQ
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Here's Saskatchewan's explanation of what happened:
The Roughriders sent an extra lineman onto the field for the second field goal attempt to try and block it, but failed to take another player off.

Special teams coach Kavis Reed took responsibility for the gaffe and refused to say which player should have come off.

"The player's name is not important," Reed said. "What's important is that a mistake was made and ultimately I think I'm responsible for that mistake.

"It was not a heat-of-the moment thing. I was going through the mechanics of counting. I asked people to verify the count and that mistake was made.

"Guys going on the field are communicating to the guys coming off the field that we're running the play. You communicate going on the field that we're running the block. Those guys who are not on that team know to come off. Obviously someone didn't get that."
RIDERS' MISTAKE COSTS THEM GREY CUP IN GUT-WRENCHING FASHION
So that seems to confirm that Armstead was SUPPOSED to be out there. (As if him being out there for the second try didn't already confirm that fact.)
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
tedbear
Starter

Armstead did not need to be on the field at all

Saskatchewan was ahead 27 to 25. If the field goal was missed that would have given Saskatchewan a 27 to 26 victory.

Don Matthews used to line 12 men on the line all the time.

Armstead should not have been on the field, and if he was supposed to be on the field then the coaches made a colossal error.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks, B.C.FAN.

I think that explains it.

And takes the heat off Armstead.

It also muddies up which player was supposed to come off from the LOS. Fair enough. Although I am sure some people want blood.

Good for Kavis Reed taking the blame, even though it was probably one player not shouting loud enough to another that caused the screwup.

Guess they have to practice that exact situation with the speakers blaring. Communication is a biotch in the heat of battle.
LFITQ
Team Captain

tedbear wrote:Armstead did not need to be on the field at all
I agree he did not NEED to be on the field. However, just because he was on the field doesn't make him the goat. He does what his coaches tell him to do.
tedbear wrote: Saskatchewan was ahead 27 to 25. If the field goal was missed that would have given Saskatchewan a 27 to 26 victory.

Don Matthews used to line 12 men on the line all the time.

Armstead should not have been on the field, and if he was supposed to be on the field then the coaches made a colossal error.
And if you read the quote above, this has been solved. Kavis Reed the ST coach admitted he sent another player on the field by mistake. Armstead did NOTHING wrong.

Here's the kicker however, after realizing what went wrong, what was Armstead (who was to count them up) or any other player supposed to do, considering Sask had no more timeouts? Jump offside? That just moves the ball up 5 yrds anyway. Get flagged for too many men? We saw how that worked out. Armstead jumps off the field and still gets flagged for illegal substitution? They were hooped.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??