The official campaign to fire Chapdelaine and Benevides...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

Gerry wrote:
Don't pin all your hopes on CP. He did not have a good day today either.
Given the circumstances I'm very pleased with how Casey played today.
Roar you Lions roar!
Gerry
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Of course you are. But then, those blinders you have on for CP are pretty big. You'll never be objective as far as he is concerned.
Enough is enough.
The_Pauser
Legend

Gerry wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Of course you are. But then, those blinders you have on for CP are pretty big. You'll never be objective as far as he is concerned.
Gimme a break. With the amount of time he had today I'm surprised he didn't get Buck'ed.
Roar you Lions roar!
Blitz
Team Captain

Ii wouldn't want to see Benvedes or Chapo fired. I'd just like them demoted.

Chap is an excellent receiverrs coach and a very unimaginative offensive coordinator. We need a new offensive coordinator. Benevedes was an excellent special teams coach and he's very good at the amateur draft. However, the jump to defensive coordinator is too much for him right now.

I'd love to see Kruck as the offensive coordinator but that wouldn't work with Chapdelaine. I'd like us to bring someone new in... because it's the only way to break the pattern. Hufnagel was an excellent offensive consulant for us in ''07 but he's not available :)

We should hire Ritchie next year for training camp and to consult. I think it would do Benevedes a world of good.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We're talking about lives here too. Not nice to talk about firing someone.

But this is pro sports, where you are as secure as your last game, or season, or, in Wally's case, as long as Braley is owner. Ha ha.

I expect it is going to be status quo next year.

Wally does change. But at a glacial pace. There might be enough hard evidence for him to take a hard look at schemes and personnel, including himself. More likely, it seems to me is: "status quo." What you see and have seen over the years is what you are going to get.

If there was to be significant change I would not be averse to that. But if it is under the same umbrella of tired schemes and conservative philosophy, what is the point?

This predictability thing is annoying as a fan. I recall coaching football when I was 16, coaching even younger guys, aged 13. Teams and players picked up on keys even at that age. Then getting our players to not let the opponent know you knew was important. In pro sports to be predictable is a bit ridiculous. It has to be some kind of arrogance at work, as in "they can't stop us anyway. We will impose our will upon them." Otherwise why continue on in this fashion? Teams have to scout themselves, as professional poker players do, seeing if they give up any tells.

As I mentioned in another thread, the radio guys said it seemed that the Als knew exactly where our running plays were going.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Take a deep breath folks. Calgary's offence has looked very average for the last half of the season with their No. 1 veteran QB taking every snap not their 2nd, 3rd or 4th stringer — like the Lions. Now it's cost them a chance to play in the Grey Cup game at home despite being the overwhelming favourite to win the West back in July.

That's with Hufnagel, Cortez and Dickenson all responsible for their scheme.
The_Pauser
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Take a deep breath folks. Calgary's offence has looked very average for the last half of the season with their No. 1 veteran QB taking every snap not their 2nd, 3rd or 4th stringer — like the Lions. Now it's cost them a chance to play in the Grey Cup game at home despite being the overwhelming favourite to win the West back in July.

Well just because Casey came in as our fifth QB this year doesn't mean he's really a fifth stringer. I'd say he's earned the right to be our number 1 quarterback.

But having said that, Burris sure hasn't looked good at all today. At least Casey got a TD pass...and Burris has had a lot more time to throw than Casey.
Roar you Lions roar!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:

But perhaps we should refrain from posting for a day or so to avoid saying stupid things.
What?! This is when the fun reading really gets going.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I agree with Blitz.

Make Chapdelaine the Receivers Coach, sort of how Dave Dickenson is the Running Backs coach in Calgary. That way, Chaps won't be anywhere NEAR the receivers. Get Someone from outside as an OC, perhaps even Rick Worman.

Benevides should be a Defensive Coach of some sort, and Wally should bring in Rich Stubler as DC, if he'll come.

In my opinion.
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

Solar Max wrote:I agree with Blitz.

Make Chapdelaine the Receivers Coach, sort of how Dave Dickenson is the Running Backs coach in Calgary.
DD is their running backs coach? I thought he was the QB coach.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Dave Ritchie is NOT comin back, so let's move on........that train has come and gone.

Until Wally decides to step down, er, just be the GM, it doesn't matter who has what title. Pasquale makes the final decision on EVERYTHING.

As WCJ has correctly articulated about a thousand times, Wally calls the plays not to lose rather than trying to win. Granted it's done him exceedingly well in the past, but the game has morphed since he began in the big chair. Unfortunately he hasn't. And until he has the confidence in his subordinates to allow them free reign, it's going to be alot more of the same.

I still think Pasquale is one of the best ever, so it's very difficult to tell him to move upstairs.....until then, as I wrote, its status quo.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
LFITQ
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Dave Ritchie is NOT comin back, so let's move on........that train has come and gone.

Until Wally decides to step down, er, just be the GM, it doesn't matter who has what title. Pasquale makes the final decision on EVERYTHING.

As WCJ has correctly articulated about a thousand times, Wally calls the plays not to lose rather than trying to win. Granted it's done him exceedingly well in the past, but the game has morphed since he began in the big chair. Unfortunately he hasn't. And until he has the confidence in his subordinates to allow them free reign, it's going to be alot more of the same.

I still think Pasquale is one of the best ever, so it's very difficult to tell him to move upstairs.....until then, as I wrote, its status quo.
Would you stop with saying exactly what i think. It's really strange to be agreeing with you. But when you are right, you are right.

The only thing I will disagree with is that even if Wally moves upstairs Wally will still make the final decision on everything. Or at least the new HC will be worried about what Wally is thinking about in the box.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Hawkballer 14
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:Take a deep breath folks. Calgary's offence has looked very average for the last half of the season with their No. 1 veteran QB taking every snap not their 2nd, 3rd or 4th stringer — like the Lions. Now it's cost them a chance to play in the Grey Cup game at home despite being the overwhelming favourite to win the West back in July.

Ding ding. Finally, some perspective to this emotional over-reaction.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Gerry wrote:The Lions were 8 and 10 in a rebuilding year. On top of that the team has had injuries to key people at inopportune times.

Having CP back gave a lot of people hope for the magic of 04, and those hopes were dashed today when a 15-3 team played at the top of their game against an 8-10 team that did not after travelling almost the length of the country twice in a week.

Yes, we are disappointed as fans. But perhaps we should refrain from posting for a day or so to avoid saying stupid things.
Nicely done. :beauty:

Couldn't have said it better myself.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jacques Chapdelaine should be selling Sham Wows instead of being an Offensive Coordinator. 14 yards rushing this afternoon. That's offensive to me. His answer to a blitz is to leave up to his quarterback to scramble out of it. The first screen pass was in the 4th quarter.