It's Printers and Lulay Against Hamilton

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:
Blitz wrote: Another key to the game is to pay special attention to Arland Bruce, who sits third in the league in pass receiving and is definitely Hamilton's primary and go to receiver. He should be double teamed all game.
However we must keep in mind Hamilton primarily used Arland as a decoy, and drew defenders away from the play. Will they do that again?
I believe you take away their primary receiver with the double team. Bruce is dangerous. Stahla and McDaniel are good receivers and you can't ignore them obviously but would you rather teams double Geroy Simon or single cover him? Same deal for our defense against Hamilton. Take away their most dangerous weapon is what a good defense does while playing overall sound defense. We'll still have six defenders covering their four remaining receivers.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

CP and Lulay against hamilton you say. Well I sure hope the rest of the team shows up as well :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: The key to beating Hamilton offensively is success on first down. We have to protect Printers and also have a good game plan and good play calling because Hamitlon will bring the blitz...the recipe of ever defense in beating our offence. We have to screen and roll Printers out. If we can run successfully on first down play action would be huge because it's the best way to keep Hamilton's linebackers guessing.
Blitz but do you really see the leopard changing its spots…teaching an old dog a new trick at this, the eleventh hour?

The bell has already tolled ten times and we still have seen no inclination to move away from what seems to be an innate flaw, ingrained in this regime's resistance to change and adapt.

I could not be more onside with your key to beating Hamilton offensively on 1st down analysis, and having a good game plan and good play calling have always been the path to success on the football field, but knowing what we have seen on a week-to-week basis, watching the Leo’s brain trust deal with responding to how opposing teams perceived and attack our weaknesses, do you really see them doing anything other than what they’ve done all season long, which would be nothing different, nothing new?

I like you and all of us hopeful Lion supporters wish and pray they would bust out of the fetters that have chained us so long, and surprise opposing teams with a new look Lions, full of potential, full of promise, but I won’t hold my breath until that happens with Wally and crew.

The “recipe” to defeating the scads of blitzing defenses around the league, and serving up a meal of whupass beating on those that try and burn us with it has always been in the cupboard for us to use, but the in the final analysis it all comes down to judging a good chef from a bad one.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

PigSkin_53 wrote:
Blitz wrote: The key to beating Hamilton offensively is success on first down. We have to protect Printers and also have a good game plan and good play calling because Hamitlon will bring the blitz...the recipe of ever defense in beating our offence. We have to screen and roll Printers out. If we can run successfully on first down play action would be huge because it's the best way to keep Hamilton's linebackers guessing.
Blitz but do you really see the leopard changing its spots…teaching an old dog a new trick at this, the eleventh hour?

The bell has already tolled ten times and we still have seen no inclination to move away from what seems to be an innate flaw, ingrained in this regime's resistance to change and adapt.

I could not be more onside with your key to beating Hamilton offensively on 1st down analysis, and having a good game plan and good play calling have always been the path to success on the football field, but knowing what we have seen on a week-to-week basis, watching the Leo’s brain trust deal with responding to how opposing teams perceived and attack our weaknesses, do you really see them doing anything other than what they’ve done all season long, which would be nothing different, nothing new?

I like you and all of us hopeful Lion supporters wish and pray they would bust out of the fetters that have chained us so long, and surprise opposing teams with a new look Lions, full of potential, full of promise, but I won’t hold my breath until that happens with Wally and crew.

The “recipe” to defeating the scads of blitzing defenses around the league, and serving up a meal of whupass beating on those that try and burn us with it has always been in the cupboard for us to use, but the in the final analysis it all comes down to judging a good chef from a bad one.
Hope is eternal Pigskin!!!!

First of all, what gives me hope (not that I would bet on it) is that Benevedes came up with an excellent game plan against Calgary last year in the playoffs, surprising Calgary with a lot of man defense, so he's capable of it.

Secondly, Chapdelaine, every so often comes up with a good game plan, although he's been even more conservative this season. Play calling and play selection against the blitz is critical.

Finally, there is the Printers factor. If Printers plays he can add the unpredictable. However, Casey Printers, while he can pull a rabbit out of a hat on occasion, will only be playing his third game (minus the four reps against Edmonton) and we should only have realistic expectations of him.

I imagine it will be the same plays on offence, with Printers having to deal with the blitz without screens, designed rollouts, etc. On defense, we just have to change things up if we're going to experience success.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Yesterday on the imaginary football talk on the team I heard that Jackson may be in the mix too. I'm thinking Wally may go back to Jackson on short yardage? Why not? If it will save a starters health and Jackson can hold onto the ball it sounds safe to me.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:Yesterday on the imaginary football talk on the team I heard that Jackson may be in the mix too. I'm thinking Wally may go back to Jackson on short yardage? Why not? If it will save a starters health and Jackson can hold onto the ball it sounds safe to me.
Yep, from Wally's comments it sounded like JJ would be in for short yardage plays, the only way that I see that actually happening is Wally having a ton of confidence in CP's thumb being healthy and Lulay being as near to 100% as possible. Otherwise JJ won't bring much to the QB position, unless the Lions employ two RB's and JJ running the ball every down, should the other two QB's go down.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

It's not an easy call for Wally to make but I would go with Printers, Lulay, and Jackson. If both Printers and Lulay got hurt, Jackson could still run whereas Buck would likely be hurt quickly. Jackson is also better at the quarterback sneak than Buck and if anything, we finally have to be able to execute third and one in this game.

We really need to change the snap count on our quarterback sneaks....defenses are anticipating our snap count. Just another predictable thing we do.
Spud387
Champion

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't we implement a wildcat offense and snap it directly to the RB or FB like Mallet or Lumbala. Yes the defense will know whats coming, but they do anyways.
David
Team Captain

According to CKNW, Casey Printers took the majority of first team reps today, followed by Travis Lullaby (2nd team). Zac Champion threw very little.

However, Jarious Jackson "threw a surprising number of footballs" (good news there), while "Out Of Luck Buck" as Jim Mullin calls him, did not take any reps.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Big Time
Champion

Rammer wrote:
Yep, from Wally's comments it sounded like JJ would be in for short yardage plays, the only way that I see that actually happening is Wally having a ton of confidence in CP's thumb being healthy and Lulay being as near to 100% as possible. Otherwise JJ won't bring much to the QB position, unless the Lions employ two RB's and JJ running the ball every down, should the other two QB's go down.
This sounds like a great plan. The Lions, and JJ in particular, have been excellent on short yardage plays all year. :puke:
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

David wrote:Travis Lullaby
We brought in a new QB? :tease:
David
Team Captain

Lion_Pride_26 wrote:
David wrote:Travis Lullaby
We brought in a new QB? :tease:
It's kind of an inside joke. Several weeks ago, after his break out game, somebody on LB posted a Toronto newspaper article in which he was inadvertently referred to as "Travis Lullaby" about 20 times throughout. Maybe they approved the spell check suggestion instead of ignoring it or maybe it's because he was knocked silly in the Argo game, but it struck me as very amusing....so it just kind of stuck. :wink:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:I have confidence, Blitz, the coordinators will come up with a good gameplan. Like in the past, they will unveil some secret-weapon plays they've been saving for the playoffs. Like the screen pass to the fullback (J. Lee?)...and RGM or Arseneux in the end around. I don't want to give away any secrets here, but remember Arseneux's end around earlier in the year that went for about 60 yards? (It may have been classified as a pass reception.) That's the play the Lions used with Geroy with such success in the past. They only used it once with AA this season. Not sure if Chaps forgot or is saving it for a special day? :roar:

I have a feeling that we'll be seeing T. Lulay on Sunday...but I don't think that's as a bad thing. From what he's shown, Lulay is quicker and more mobile than Printers. Travis throws beautiful passes with tight spirals in the intermediate and short range (before he got injured). As far as making "something out of nothing", both QB's show tremendous ability. Casey gets the nod in the long pass dept and knows how to put air under the ball and let the receiver run under it...something Travis will purrfect with more experience in the CFL.

A local sportswriter compared Lulay to S. Grogan after the Wpg game. I'm not familiar with Grogan, but I thought I was watching the second-coming of Tommy Clements with Lulay in that game. With all the roll-outs, passing on the run, precise footwork and pin-point passes, fans should be confident with our QB's come Sunday.

But we won't know for sure. Wally threw in Jarious' name yesterday, but they were also saying Buck may be ready (at least for kick holds and short yardage. :wink: ) For all we know those guys will still banged up and we might be seeing Zac and Jarious on Sunday?
John Henry...tell me when we've ever come up with something different in a playoff game?? Certainly not in 2004, except to boot the football out of bounds unsuccessfully. Not in 2005, except when Printers came off the bench in the last three minutes and tried to make something happen himself. Not in 2006, when our offence bogged down in the Grey Cup game, Simon and Clermont hardly saw the football, and our defense had to win it. Not in 2007, when we inserted Dickenson before the first half and kept him in the pocket and watched him get blitzed to death. Not in 2008, when after our run got shutdown more, Buckball, Chapdelaine's favorite version of ChapBall saw our offence bogged down.

I can't remember our offence doing anything different in the playoffs ever...
ziggy
Legend

Man drink the poison cool aid, you're getting depressing :wag: ! I guess a lot of folks won't be watching by the sounds of things.