Travis if Healthy, Casey as Backup - Lowell Ullrich

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

Some excerpts from the article by Lowell Ullrich ...
"If Travis is healthy he'll play and I'll be very happy with Casey as a backup," Buono said. "We won't [start Jackson]. He hasn't even practiced -- it wouldn't be fair to anybody.
If Travis is healthy, he starts. Sounds fair. He had a wonderful game vs the Bombers. Be nice if his shoulder allows it. Casey as backup? Very cool. Very cool.
"We've gone though this for how many years now? What do I care [who starts]? The guy who plays is the one that wants to play." "How's that? Hopefully, we're good enough around him." - Buono
I'm not worried either. We're getting used to it. One guy gets dinged. Bring in the next guy. They're all good players.
And after a game in which the Lions were better on the ground than in the air, the bigger issue is not the throwers but the catchers.

Take away the offence by Lulay on checkdown throws to tailback A.J. Harris, and the Lions got just eight receptions for 85 yards from their receiving corps.
Many drops. It's contagious. Number one requirement for would-be receivers: good hands. Same for veterans.
Only Geroy Simon earned a passing grade from the coach, who said: "The receivers were horsebleep."
The Lions may choose to adjust the roster to use less of Ryan Grice-Mullen, who had only three touches on offence but included a fumble and just 17 return yards, and more of Michael Bumpus, who debuted on special teams.
RGM fans won't like it, if it happens. But other Lions' fans, like myself, would be very grateful if this came to pass. Some perceive potential in RGM. Others see a present liability, and also see an unlikelihood of it changing.

Bumpus, Passmore, Scott, Reed. I would try any of these very worthy candidates at this time. They deserve an opportunity too. There might even be a game breaker in there, a play maker, a receiver with good hands and confidence.
pennw
Legend

I didn't notice the RGM has been building up a fan base . When he first started returning kicks he made an impression , but since then his fumbleitis seems to have undone that good will . I noticed that less of RGM bit too and it made me happy to see that . If Mallet gets back a RGM for AJ Harris direct swap sounds good to me .
The thing that troubles me is , now Lulay has a bad shoulder too ??? And lets not forget the fact that CP had a bit of an injury history too .
Reading other message boards it seems that Lulay made quite an impression with fans from all over with his debut .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
The thing that troubles me is , now Lulay has a bad shoulder too ??? And lets not forget the fact that CP had a bit of an injury history too .

Reading other message boards it seems that Lulay made quite an impression with fans from all over with his debut .
Re the injured QBs, I guess I am getting used to it. It goes all the way back to Dave Dickenson. In Wally's time here, our QBs have always been getting hurt. Even JJ got hurt the first time he took a snap. So one just shrugs and calls: "Next." And the next guy in line is usually dayum good too.

Interesting about other fan sites and Lulay. We Lions' fans expected good things from Lulay. Nevertheless, the brilliant way he scrambled was still a wonderful surprise.

Travis if able, Casey next in line. Even Zac looked very good in his brief opportunity last year. No worries.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I guess with the Lions QB history, it really isn't much of surprise why Wally has the best reputation for finding new QB talent and developing it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Don Miller
Legend

CP took the first team snaps at practise today. Lulay was just on the Team and indicated his shoulder is pretty sore. I would not be suprised if CP gets the start in Regina. He can scramble and throw the long ball and stretch the Sask defense like Montreal do.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

Some excerpts from the article by Lowell Ullrich ...

The Lions may choose to adjust the roster to use less of Ryan Grice-Mullen, who had only three touches on offence but included a fumble and just 17 return yards, and more of Michael Bumpus, who debuted on special teams.
I wish they would adjust the roster to use NONE of RGM, not just less of him. ;)
Real women wear orange!!
Rick James
Legend

Naylor says CP may start, so it must be true.

http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=295610
zark
Champion

CP starts. CBC, believe it or not, announced it. Makes sense. It's all about winning.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Wow, cue the TV ratings machine. Methinks there will be a few interested viewers to see if history repeats itself.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally is playing it coyly, and so is Casey.

Running game reps had Travis and Jarious handing off with the 1st team O. But they could not throw. (In warming up TL and JJ were doing little baby tosses of about 6 steps to each other).

Meanwhile at the other end of the field, passing game had Casey and Zac throwing to the receivers. Ummm hmmmm

!st team O reps all together had CP and Zac doing the honours.

In interviews Casey was very modest and composed. Some of our QBs had sore shoulders. He would do as he is asked, for the team, if called upon. He is absolutely walking the walk. (It seems Wally either has not decided who will play, or he has everybody on "team-speak.")

My guess: Casey gets the start. The only way he does not is if Travis or Buck or Jarious makes a miraculous recovery before tomorrow's practice.