Jarious To Start Against Montreal

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

Tighthead wrote: I am not stupid enough to suggest that one stat is the be all and end all.

I'm not sure about your first point. To me, it indicates less of a ball control offence and more of a vertical offence. We saw the ball control offence flame out in the WF last year when the defence kept the ball in front of them and we killed the clock on ourselves.
Fair enough; however, has our vertical offence (at least under Jackson, I don't think anyone will argue we're virtical with Buck at the helm) led to any success? Jackson's other numbers such as TD:Int ratio and PA:INT ratio are brutal. I think the vertical offense explains the 8 touchdowns for Jarious, but his style or his game or whatever you want to call it, leads to a ton of interceptions. We don't have a gunslinger who can complete a healthy amount of passes and not get picked off, while playing a vertical game. For example, this year Ricky Ray has a higher YPA than Jackson, yet has still been good for 70% completions, and has 1 fewer interception in almost triple the attempts.
Roar you Lions roar!
Lionut
Hall of Famer

The problem is that Ricky Ray is not available. Apparently Montreal is unwilling to put Calvillo on waivers either.

We have to "live in the now", as they said on Wayne's World. I'm on record as being intrigued by the Casey Printers option, but he was unable to wave a magic wand in Hamilton, and Wally has made it perfectly clear that the bridge back here for Casey has long since been burned. It's not at all clear that he could rekindle what he once had here.

With that, we have to choose between a tough, smart, noodle armed and concussion prone Buck Pierce, a high risk, high reward gunslinger in Jarious Jackson who is prone to picks, and two raw rookies. Jackson is our best option right now, by a country mile. Sometimes raw rookies work out really well, and sometimes they turn into Ryan Dinwiddie. Dinwiddie got thrown to the wolves in Winnipeg in 2007, and instead of the Hollywood ending he is out of football. Hollywood also seemed to miss out this year on Quin Porter, Cody Pickett, and Stefan LeFors. If in a month's time it is clear that we need to waive the white flag on 2009, then by all means play Lulay and Champion. Right now, this team is trying to win games and stay in the hunt, and Jackson gives us the best chance to do that - it's not even close.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:The numbers don't lie. I rest my case.
If you rely on cfl.ca stats, unfortunately, they do lie. The HTML stats have been out of whack for a week. I've been caught on this as well. The PDFs seem fine.

Jarious has actually thrown 8 TD passes and 7 INTs (not 9). His efficiency rating is fifth of 10 QBs listed, ahead of Glenn, Porter, Durant, Joseph and Pierce. B.C. as a team has thrown 16 INTs (not 22).
Link