Clermont says he's "not surprised" Leos are 1-4

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Bosco
Team Captain

The fact that Clermont only has 9 catches in 6 games continues to puzzle me.

I have watched all of the Riders' games, and although JC claims that his role has changed, how can a player with his background and ability only have nine receptions? It's not like he's dropping the ball, or plays or broken up, he just doesn't seem to be part of their game plan, period.

Very strange.
Rammer
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:The fact that Clermont only has 9 catches in 6 games continues to puzzle me.

I have watched all of the Riders' games, and although JC claims that his role has changed, how can a player with his background and ability only have nine receptions? It's not like he's dropping the ball, or plays or broken up, he just doesn't seem to be part of their game plan, period.

Very strange.
Sixth receiver, behind Dressler, Fantuz, and now Getzlaf (or at least splitting time with him), for SB time. Waste of talent and a slap in the face to the man's ability/character, IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Rammer wrote:Sixth receiver, behind Dressler, Fantuz, and now Getzlaf (or at least splitting time with him), for SB time. Waste of talent and a slap in the face to the man's ability/character, IMO.
Throw in Johnny Quinn to that group of recievers Clermont is behind. Even with Fantuz out last night, Clermont was not part of many 5 reciever sets out there. Just imagine what happens when Fantuz comes back... 7th reciever possibly? 6th for sure... ouch.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

In watching Jason, it is painfully obvious that he has lost a couple of steps. When I saw him run a couple of routes in the first BC-Sask game, I could hardly believe it was the same guy. He just isn't able to get open and create space like he once could.

This is a cruel game -- at the pro level, losing a step or two is the difference between being an impact player, as Jason once was, and being JAG (just a guy), as he is now. Defenses are just so fast now that the era of the slower receiver with great hands and veteran moxy has basically gone. Let's put it this way -- a guy like Jim Young simply couldn't have lasted as long as he did had he played in this era.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
bclions16
Champion

Rammer wrote: Sixth receiver, behind Dressler, Fantuz, and now Getzlaf (or at least splitting time with him), for SB time. Waste of talent and a slap in the face to the man's ability/character, IMO.
All parties must have known he would be in tough against the depth the Riders have at receiver.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
pennw
Legend

I think part of this has to do with the fact that JC was signed by the Riders under a lot of pressure from their fans , not nessasarily because the team really wanted him . Those fans have been wanting him for years like he was their player for all the years he was in BC . Now they got him , the team has him way down the chart . This way he slowly fizzles out in Riderville and the fans won't be upset like they wouldbe , had the Riders never signed him at all . For JC it is still a win situation because this stint boosts his real estate business way more had he never been a rider . I suspect this will be his last year , he retires a rider , then all are happy in Riderville.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

We'll see I guess whether he gets more of a role towards the latter part of the season when the weather plays more of a factor and speed isn't always the primary consideration. Assuming that he gets that far. They are paying him some fairly decent coin to spend a lot of time standing on the sidelines.

Speaking of which, what is the latest with the Tillman saga? He has been invisible for awhile even despite the court case.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:We'll see I guess whether he gets more of a role towards the latter part of the season when the weather plays more of a factor and speed isn't always the primary consideration. Assuming that he gets that far. They are paying him some fairly decent coin to spend a lot of time standing on the sidelines.

Speaking of which, what is the latest with the Tillman saga? He has been invisible for awhile even despite the court case.
Next court session is in January IIRC.
Entertainment value = an all time low
hwgill
Legend

I was actually surprised in Friday night's game when JC took that hit and didn't get up for a bit, I don't recall that happening very often when he was a Lion. Even when he was hurt, he tended to get to his feet pretty fast.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

hwgill wrote:I was actually surprised in Friday night's game when JC took that hit and didn't get up for a bit, I don't recall that happening very often when he was a Lion. Even when he was hurt, he tended to get to his feet pretty fast.
He looked to have got winded given the angle of that hit so it is not surprising.

I doubt he was signed to make their fans happy. Tillman has proven time and again that he will sign or not sign players as he sees fit. They have no trouble filling seats without him. I am sure they felt he could help them and as a top Canadian player it was a good move for them. These others guys stepping up just goes to show like WB would say, you can never have too many top receivers. If Rider injuries were to happen like last season, he will be very useful.

There just isn't enough money in the CFL to pay guys not to play. I don't think he is done if he still has the desire to play. He is in tough with this crew they have their.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote: Speaking of which, what is the latest with the Tillman saga? He has been invisible for awhile even despite the court case.
Hope he doesn't need a babysitter.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote: Speaking of which, what is the latest with the Tillman saga? He has been invisible for awhile even despite the court case.
Hope he doesn't need a babysitter.
Doug Gilmour could give him some pointers on how to deal with babysitters.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."