2009 Vancouver Whitecaps Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Obviously, the season has started already. The recent news has been Vancouver granted an MLS team. But let's not forget that there's still two more USL-1 seasons to play. Let's see how well the defending 2008 USL-1 championships do this season.

It will be a challenge given the fact that they've lost FIVE important starters :shock: from last seasons championship team, including their long time captain: :bang:

Jeff Clarke (former captain, released)
Steve Kindel (released)
Alfredo Valente (released)
Jason Jordan (released)
Eduardo Sebrango (to Montreal Impact)
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
footy
All Star

Well to update this thread after a 1-0 win over Puerto Rico last sunday to move the Whitecaps to first place the Whitecaps are taking on Rochester this saturday May 16th should be a good game Caps are hurting with several key injuries namely to forward Marlon James. See you all in the Southside !
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Congrats to the Whitecaps on a big win last night and further proof how narrow the gap is between the USL and the MLS. Barring Toronto FC coming up with a 4-0 road win in Montreal (still think it should be total aggregate in head-to-head games only as the tiebreaker), the Caps will represent Canada in the CONCACAF champions league.
Well done!

Also nice to see this game being played up more in the morning paper instead of the Stanley Cup finals and that's the way it should be.
xon100
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:Congrats to the Whitecaps on a big win last night and further proof how narrow the gap is between the USL and the MLS. Barring Toronto FC coming up with a 4-0 road win in Montreal (still think it should be total aggregate in head-to-head games only as the tiebreaker), the Caps will represent Canada in the CONCACAF champions league.
Well done!

Also nice to see this game being played up more in the morning paper instead of the Stanley Cup finals and that's the way it should be.
It was a great game to be at GO CAPS!!
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.
nelson95
Legend

watched the 2nd half

gotta be good to be lucky

congrats
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Rammer
Team Captain

Watching two Whitecaps get ejected although at different times all over a missed 2 on 1 play while up 3 - 1 has to be a first for me. Hilarious in that Charles gets red carded for jawing and pushing with Gbeke (sp), as he called Gbeke for a failed 2 - 1 and Gbeke didn't take kindly to it. A Miami free kick later and it is a one goal game, in the 89th minute. Gbeke is pulled and he promptly boots a water bucket and is given his second yellow card of the match and is ejected from the bench. Now is it just myself, or could the Whitecaps sold additional tickets to that locker room reunion vs watching the remainder of the game. I have to say that it will be interesting paper reading tomorrow.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Watching two Whitecaps get ejected although at different times all over a missed 2 on 1 play while up 3 - 1 has to be a first for me. Hilarious in that Charles gets red carded for jawing and pushing with Gbeke (sp), as he called Gbeke for a failed 2 - 1 and Gbeke didn't take kindly to it. A Miami free kick later and it is a one goal game, in the 89th minute. Gbeke is pulled and he promptly boots a water bucket and is given his second yellow card of the match and is ejected from the bench. Now is it just myself, or could the Whitecaps sold additional tickets to that locker room reunion vs watching the remainder of the game. I have to say that it will be interesting paper reading tomorrow.
Agreed. with his actions Charles Gbeke can go from hero with 2008 championship MVP to zero with his actions in his last game. That reminds me of Patrick Roy yelling at his coach in Montreal in December 1995. It's unfortunate, but there's a good chance that Gbeke will be traded soon.

Vancouver head coach Teiter Thordarson said: I'm very disappointed. I just can't believe what was going on. It is unnormal behavior from two grown people out on the football field, in front of not only their own teammates, but the whole club, the whole spectators and the whole city, I just feel it's a disgrace.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
footy
All Star

So no champions league for the Whitecaps as the deciding game between Toronto FC and Montreal ended up to be a total sham as Montreal bent over and allowed Toronto to score 6 goals and thus winning on goal differnce :bang: talk about a scam !
Rammer
Team Captain

footy wrote:So no champions league for the Whitecaps as the deciding game between Toronto FC and Montreal ended up to be a total sham as Montreal bent over and allowed Toronto to score 6 goals and thus winning on goal differnce :bang: talk about a scam !
That was disappointing to say the least, but with the format and the situation that Montreal found itself in, they deemed it a nothing game and played an unrecognizable lineup. Shameful for the Caps to play as well as they had and have zero showing for it. The game now between Montreal and Vancouver may become a little more intense due to this decision. I can't believe that Montreal would do that to their paying customer, at least that is what I had hoped going into the TO/Montreal match.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The ladies couldn't make it to the playoffs this season. :bawl:
Good luck, guys!
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

After getting an altercation with a teammate yet again, this time during practice, Wesley Charles has been released by the team. :wag:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/White ... story.html
Last edited by Robbie on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
bclions16
Champion

Robbie wrote:After getting an altercation with a teammate yet again, this time during practice, Wesley Charles has been released by the time. :wag:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/White ... story.html
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Not Wesley Charles!
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Robbie
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote:NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Not Wesley Charles!
Afraid so. Apparently for the team, despite his contributions to the 2008 championship, maintaining good behavior is more important than good performance.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature07220901.aspx

"This is the second incident between Wesley Charles and a teammate in just over a month, and as a result, we have decided to release Charles outright," explained Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi. "As a club, we do not condone any violence on or off the pitch, and take such actions very seriously."
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A vision of Whitecaps soccer in BC Place in 2011.

http://www.bcplacestadium.com/newsrelea ... n_2011.jpg
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Watching two Whitecaps get ejected although at different times all over a missed 2 on 1 play while up 3 - 1 has to be a first for me. Hilarious in that Charles gets red carded for jawing and pushing with Gbeke (sp), as he called Gbeke for a failed 2 - 1 and Gbeke didn't take kindly to it. A Miami free kick later and it is a one goal game, in the 89th minute. Gbeke is pulled and he promptly boots a water bucket and is given his second yellow card of the match and is ejected from the bench. Now is it just myself, or could the Whitecaps sold additional tickets to that locker room reunion vs watching the remainder of the game. I have to say that it will be interesting paper reading tomorrow.
Watch the final two minutes of this clip if you want to see the altercation between Charles and Gbeke, as well as Gbeke's undisciplined behavior at the sidelines.

[youtube][/youtube]
祝你龍年行大運。