"Whitecaps to announce MLS franchise secured"-Vancouver Sun

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Soundy
Hall of Famer

And it's official!
Vancouver Whitecaps to join Major League Soccer in 2011
Major League Soccer has officially named the Vancouver Whitecaps as the league's second Canadian franchise. The Whitecaps currently play in the United Soccer League's First Division
Tune into News1130 for the very latest on this story, or visit News1130.com
News1130 mornings with George Gordon and Dianne Newman, weekdays 5:30 to 9am.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
bclions16
Champion

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Soundy
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote:Gone but not forgotten. Notice that there are way fewer posts overall since he was booted or left?
I know, there's so much QUIET!
(\__/)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

And hopefully, the Whitecaps can add the MLS Cup into their trophy case, the Philip F. Anschutz Trophy.

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
bclions16
Champion

Robbie wrote:And hopefully, the Whitecaps can add the MLS Cup into their trophy case, the Philip F. Anschutz Trophy.

As a little boy, I used to spend my days and nights dreaming about one day winning the Philip F. Anschutz trophy...
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
footy
All Star

Nice looking trophy and cant wait for the I-5 rivalary to start up again Vancouver, Seattle and Portland some great road trips ahead . Congrats to the Whitecaps and all the hard work that was done by many staffers to bring a franchise to our city and I have no doubt that with all the tradition of soccer success we will be holding that trophy !

Cheers
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Tonight, the Sounders debut in the MLS at Quest Field. And in just two years, the rivalry begins again. And like the USL, there will likely be a secondary trophy between the three teams, just like the Cascadia Cup.

And assuming that David Beckham will still be playing for the LA Galaxy in 2011, then FD45 will have lots of opportunities to answer his own questions that he raised on these threads.

http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... 10&t=14122
http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... 10&t=13577
http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... 10&t=13820
http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... 10&t=13427
http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... 10&t=12153
祝你龍年行大運。
Lui05
Rookie

So, I just finished watching the Sounders MLS debut game. Man, it was awesome. The crowd was wild and the team completely dominated New York. I can't wait until 2011 when Portland and Vancouver are added to the league. The commish was on at half-time and announced that Portland landed the other 2011 team.

Should be interesting to see how good this team really is. I hadn't really followed MLS all that much before as I was more interested in the league with the Whitecaps and Sounders so I don't know what calibre of team NY is, but either Seattle has one of the better expansion teams in sporting history, or they're in for a wake-up when they play an upper echelon team because they completely outclassed NY. Either way, it was a very enjoyable game to watch. Kinda reminded me of the first game for the Grizzlies (which I watched only because it was Vancouver - I'm not a basketball fan) and the Ravens (which I saw in person as I like lacrosse - a great victory over Toronto).

:rockin:
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Steven Wright
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Do they just bring forward their current roster in 2011 or how does that work?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Judging from the assorted news bits and sports-talk pundits I've heard, I gather there's an entry draft, although it sounds like they'll be carrying over at least PART of their current roster (well, the current roster as of the end of the 2010 season).
(\__/)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Good to see a sold out crowde of 32,523 at Qwest Field for the inaugural Sounders MLS game.

This will be the answer to a trivia question in the years to come. Fredy Montero scored the first ever goal in its franchise history.

But I was a little surprised given the fact that the game was sold out, then why didn't they open up the upper bowl to see if the stadium will be filled to capacity of 67,000 like in Seahawks games.

祝你龍年行大運。
nelson95
Legend

I am still wondering if there will be an MLS in 2011

Toronto and Seattle can't float the entire league
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
bclions16
Champion

So the Sounders had a good opening event. I agree, I'm still not sold on the viability of the league.

As for the trivia question about the first player to score a goal? Well that will be too tough. Ask the average sports fan to name any MLS player other than Beckham, and you'll be met with a blank stare.