Warner, TO and Lewis

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Yesterday was a busy day for NFL news. Was not surprised by any of the recent NFL news, save the missing boaters.

I personally thought Marvin Harrison might retire but instead he asked/recieved his release from the Colts. (Harrison's release took place last week)

Kurt Warner signed for another couple seasons with the Cardinals. I enjoyed watching him lead the Cardinals to their first Superbowl appearance but I doubt they'll be back in 2010.

Ray Lewis looked around but the best 'respect' ($$$) was to stay a Raven.

And T.O. was cut by the Cowboys. I will be happy to see T.O. be out of the NFL but he's too talented. Someone will pick him up, IMO. The only surprise I got out of this news is that he's led the NFL in drops! I thought he burned too many bridges after the Eagles but the Cowboys thought they'd turn him around. Whose next on the T.O. turnover list?
Bobbyp
Champion

I thought T.O. stood for Toronto Ontario,What does this have to do with the BC Lions? Im making muffins right now should I start a thread for the recipe?
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Delighted to see Owens unemployed but as Notahomer has said, somebody is going to pick him up and try to rehabilitate him. Good luck !
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I'm not a T.O. fan, but I am surprised that Jerry Jones would cut him loose. IMO T.O. is more trouble for a team than good, despite his huge talent.

I'm not a Jerry Jones fan either, but I would say he has corrected the mistake he made initially in signing T.O.

Guess we should have a survey: what team signs T.O. next?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Bobbyp wrote:I thought T.O. stood for Toronto Ontario,What does this have to do with the BC Lions? Im making muffins right now should I start a thread for the recipe?
This thread has been posted in the "All Sports" forum. The mandate of this forum, as stated on the board index page is to "Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!" So if you consider baking muffins a leisure activity then feel free to post the recipe here; the pub forum might also be suitable.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: ...Guess we should have a survey: what team signs T.O. next?
I actually did consider a poll but I can't figure out which team would bother. I have disliked T.O. ever since he had little good to say about his QB at the time (Jeff Garcia). So, I can't figure out what team will take him but I don't doubt a team will because the talent outweighs the negative impact he has on his team. Hope I'm wrong.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

notahomer wrote:
So, I can't figure out what team will take him but I don't doubt a team will because the talent outweighs the negative impact he has on his team.
Hello Oakland!!!

and if that doesn't work.....

Hello Toronto!!
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Lion King
Rookie

The TO thing did not surprise me, being cut from Dallas. His act wears out after 3 years, so he was past the expiry date.

However, I did not expect him to sign with Buffalo. An interesting signing for Buffalo. It will be interesting to see how he meshes with Edwards.

Lewis overstepped himself on his value. His age, made him only attractive to his current team. If it was 3-4 years ago, he could have commanded more "respect" from the other teams.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

T. Owens Signs Deal With Bills

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 8, 2009; D03

It didn't take Terrell Owens long to find a new job. Two days after being released by the Dallas Cowboys, the wide receiver signed a one-year, $6.5 million contract with the Buffalo Bills yesterday.

"I must move on," Owens said at an evening news conference at the Bills' headquarters in Orchard Park, N.Y. "This is another new beginning for me. I'm just looking forward to this opportunity. I know I'll help this organization out. . . . That's what I've done everywhere I've been, and it's going to continue."

The deal includes a $4 million signing bonus and $2.5 million guaranteed for next season, a source said.

One of the sport's highest-profile and most controversial players now goes to one of the league's smallest-market teams. The Bills have a young quarterback in Trent Edwards and a big-play receiving threat in wideout Lee Evans.

"I'll just have to create my own following up here in North America," Owens said. "I'm leaving America's team to come to North America's team. So I'm looking forward to the opportunity, and I'm excited about it."

The Bills went 7-9 this past season and finished last in the AFC East. They were ranked 25th in the NFL in total offense, and Edwards was the league's 17th-rated passer.

"This may not be probably the most ideal place for a lot of people," Owens said. "But . . . for me this is an opportunity. It's an interesting situation. No matter what uniform that I put on, I perform."

Owens called his release by the Cowboys "very unfortunate" and said: "This story will kind of write itself. I don't really have a whole lot to say. It's been a pretty interesting couple of days for myself."
That didn't take long.

The Bills had the 25th ranked offense in the league last year.

It must be a reduction in pay for Owens. $6 M bonus. $2 M salary. It would seem his contract with the Cowboys must not have been guaranteed.

I look forward to news of how this new arrangement works out. :wink:
"This may not be probably the most ideal place for a lot of people," Owens said. "But . . . for me this is an opportunity. It's an interesting situation. No matter what uniform that I put on, I perform."
Not the most ideal place for a lot of people? Buffalo? Owens has just done the "Buffalo Shuffle." Shuffled off to Buffalo.
Tighthead
Legend

Owens will make more in Buffalo than he did in Dallas by about $800 K.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WCJ, the article you posted had a lot more info than the little thumbnail I read in todays Province. Thanks for posting it.

Different players function better under different coaches. I wonder sometimes if T.O. wouldn't have left his XXXXL football helmet at home had he played under an early version of Dick Vermiel, for e.g. I personally feel most players do better under the StLouisRam's Version of Vermiel but maybe a guy like T.O. needs that pat on the back about a foot1/2 lower.

I couldn't figure out who'd pick him up but T.O. is the NFL's rubbernecker. You hate to see that awful crash but you take a look anyways.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Hello Toronto!!
You were somewhat prophetic with that, WCBF!
2Davis2SanchezFan
prospect

I hope Terrell Owens Finally found a house in Buffalo
CFL Fan, NFL Fan, NBA Fan, MLB Fan. Love playing Sports.