Kelly Bates on the trade block

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

From LU in the Province this morning:
Bates on the shopping block; B.C. said to be dangling veteran hoggie as trade bait
Lowell Ullrich
The Province

The man responsible for splitting the Grey Cup apart could be on the verge of a break-up with the Lions.

Three league sources said Tuesday the CFL team is actively shopping veteran Lions offensive lineman Kelly Bates, possibly in the hopes of snaring another defensive upgrade. So far, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Saskatchewan Roughriders have reportedly shown the most interest, and of those two clubs, the Bombers have by far the most to give.

New Winnipeg coach Mike Kelly inherited a roster which includes middle linebacker Zeke Moreno, and with Barrin Simpson and recently re-signed defender Joe Lobendahn capable of filling the position, the Bombers wouldn't suffer drastically on their depth chart.

Moreno led the CFL last season with 97 tackles while splitting his time between the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Winnipeg, which acquired him when Simpson was lost to injury for the season. A source said Moreno is also drawing interest from Saskatchewan and the Toronto Argonauts.

Bates has heard the suggestions he may be on the move.

"It's a surprise to me that a guy who has been good in the community and been a long member of the Lions is being shopped around‚" said Bates, an eight-year Lions veteran who was a 2007 league all-star.

"I want to reserve judgment on the situation. But I understand the business."

The Bombers, who have called a news conference for this morning to discuss their recent player moves, also traded Monday to acquire linebacker/defensive back Siddeeq Shabazz from the Edmonton Eskimos.

Winnipeg lost three starters from its offensive front on the first day of free agency Monday and signed veteran offensive linemen Glenn January and Steven Morley.

B.C. lost left tackle Rob Murphy to the Argos as well Monday. However, coach Wally Buono has offensive-line roster depth in Dean Valli, who has been backing up the interior of the O-line for three seasons, and Jon Hameister-Reis.

Hameister-Reis has not played a down for the Lions since he was drafted two seasons ago, having suffered a pair of knee injuries, but has fully recovered.

Linebacker Anton McKenzie was the prize signing by the Lions from the Riders when free agency opened Monday but Buono admitted the club's linebacking roster was hardly set.

The Lions lost their seventh player off the 2008 roster as well Tuesday when, as expected, veteran special teams defensive lineman Matt Kirk signed with Hamilton. Kirk, from Kingston, Ont., played three seasons with the Lions, but had repeatedly stated he wanted to play for a team closer to home
There was speculation a couple of years ago Bates would sign with the Riders when he was a free agent. At the time I was a bit surprised he re-signed in BC given their surplus of young talent at the guard position — namely Dean Valli and now Hameister-Reis. This will be Valli's 4th season with the team.

The Bombers seem like a more realistic trading partner if the Lions are looking for LB depth given the Riders just lost 2 starters to free agency.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Not happy with the thought of losing Kelly, but at least there is depth at his position.

Moreno alongside Mackenzie might be just what the doctor ordered, though.
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:Not happy with the thought of losing Kelly, but at least there is depth at his position.

Moreno alongside Mackenzie might be just what the doctor ordered, though.
I am surprised that the names of the innocent have been released for public consumption, especially in the case of Bates. IMO, the Bombers wanting Hameister-Reis seems to be the logical match to complete this trade, and may well end up being the final push. So why offer up that Bates is on the trading block when he has been nothing short of solid on the OL, and within the community? Without Murphy, you would be losing your entire left side OL, a side that is Mighty important to Buck Pierce.
Entertainment value = an all time low
firstdown45

why are you assuming Buck will be back?
Rammer
Team Captain

firstdown45 wrote:why are you assuming Buck will be back?
Where else would he be?
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Ummm....maybe because he's under contract? :roll:

(note to self - launch this 'ignore' button thing-y)

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Why are ass u ming that he won't ?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Why do people quote and respond to fd45, then complain about him?

Friend and Foe.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:Why do people quote and respond to fd45, then complain about him?

Friend and Foe.
It's like driving by a car accident. You know you shouldn't look, but you just have to!!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Murphy and Bates, the left side of the O Line. It will be tough to replace the two All-Stars.

Fortunately the O Line is one place where the Lions have depth in Dean Valli, Jon Hameister-Rhys, Lorne Plante, and Justin Sorensen.

I wonder if Wally is interested in acquiring Zeke Moreno in trade for Bates.
wildthing
All Star

WestCoastJoe wrote:Murphy and Bates, the left side of the O Line. It will be tough to replace the two All-Stars.

Fortunately the O Line is one place where the Lions have depth in Dean Valli, Jon Hameister-Rhys, Lorne Plante, and Justin Sorensen.

probably won't see him go to Peg now, they just signed Luke Fritz
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Solar Max wrote:Why do people quote and respond to fd45, then complain about him?

Friend and Foe.
It's like driving by a car accident. You know you shouldn't look, but you just have to!!
Hmm..perhaps that's why there are NO car accidents here, even with all the gaffers.

What's that? You are pooping me. Really? Who knew?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:

Friend and Foe.
Hmm..perhaps that's why there are NO car accidents here, even with all the gaffers.

What's that? You are pooping me. Really? Who knew?
I have no idea what this means.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Murphy and Bates, the left side of the O Line. It will be tough to replace the two All-Stars.

probably won't see him go to Peg now, they just signed Luke Fritz

Fritz is an OT while Bates is a G.

The Bombers also can't keep the MLB's so they are likely to trade one and I'd rather have another very good NI OL than 3 MLB's
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:

Friend and Foe.
Why LG are you hoping that fd45, is the one behind the wheel ? :shock:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis