Wally just doesn't get it...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ilovetheriders
Starter

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 710005007f

I hope you all put your team colours away when you read this. I've shown this to fans from other teams, fans of The CFL and they too are discusted with Wally.

"Against that backdrop, coach Wally Buono was asked Friday if the outpouring of province-wide sentiment for Lancaster could be compared to the same shock and loss his city and organization went through in July after the sudden death of iconic president Bob Ackles.

"The relationship Bob Ackles had with our team is a lot different than Ron Lancaster's relationship with this team," Buono said. "If you were to go into their locker room and ask many of them who Ron Lancaster was, they probably couldn't tell you.

"They didn't have the relationship Bob Ackles had with a lot of our guys. Bob was there every day. Ronnie Lancaster played here 100 years ago. His legend is here. But Ronnie Lancaster, the man, has been gone for some time."

Buono said he didn't want to "rain on the parade" as the Roughriders celebrate the life of their greatest player. ******BUT******he did dampen it a bit, reminding everyone that Lancaster's legacy goes far beyond the boundaries of Wascana and Waskesiu.

"I think Ron Lancaster represents the whole CFL," Buono said. "He doesn't belong strictly to one organization"
joesports
All Star

Disgusted with what?

In responding to a question posed to him, I think it's accurate for him to say that the passing of Ackles affected the Lions more directly than the passing of Lancaster will affect the Riders. That's not taking anything away from either man.

Both are tragic, but the Lions team lost someone that they saw daily and knew well.

Remember, Wally was friends with Lancaster and actually just saw him 2 weeks ago. He's made many other statements about how upsetting and tragic Lancaster's passing was for him. He's not dissing him.
Rick James
Legend

Pheuuf!!!!

I'm glad you posted that. I was almost going to cheer for the orange and black tonight.

Anyone want any of my 8 Lions Jerseys (mostly xxl), or numerous other items, helmets, jackets, season tickets etc?

Obviously Rider poop doesn't stink, I guess I'll cheer for them from now on.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Ackles was part of the every day life of the Lions' organization for 36 or his 54 years in football and over half his life. Lancaster was a legend as a player in Regina but at his passing was also nearly 30 years removed from the organization; more than a generation. Where the bulk of Saskatchewan's players weren't even born the last time Lancaster was a part of the Rider organization all of BC's players with the exception of new acquisitions in the past 2 months would've gotten to know him. Ackles' CFL career was spent with one organization while Lancaster was part of four. I'd discount his Ottawa tenure as being anything of significance, but he was definitely an integral part of Saskatchewan, Edmonton and Hamilton. Buono is merely saying Ackles' passing probably had a bigger impact within the BC Lions' organization and community that would Lancaster's passing to the present day Rider club. But Lancaster's passing probably created a wider sense of loss across the CFL. I think that's a fair assessment while not being disrespectful nor understating the emotions that will no doubt be felt at Mosaic this evening.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Ron Lancaster the CFL icon = Bobby Ackles the CFL icon.

Ron Lancaster the Saskatchewab Roughrider < Bobby Ackles the BC Lion, circuit 2008.

That is what is being said, nothing more should be read into that equation.

On another note, why should Wally try to add any fuel to the Riders team going into this all important encounter, it makes zero sense.

Next!
Entertainment value = an all time low
Vern Halen
Champion

While I don't personally agree with Wally - he has valid points - it has been quite a few years since Ronnie called Regina home.

BUT, Ronnie's legacy here in Saskatchewan is a lasting one.

I bet there will be a few tears shed as well tonight - as far as that goes where I'm concerned personally all bets are off. Ron was a hero to me growing up and he was a great ambassador for the team and the league. There's a reason why there are giant pictures of Ronnie and George Reed on the outside of Taylor Field with the caption "Pride Lives Here". They gave the Riders respectability in the eyes of the league and helped us become challengers year after year when we had been the perennial whipping boys of the league and gave Rider fans a reason to be proud of our team. In no small way, Ron Lancaster helped to ignite the flames of Rider Pride that burns so deep within us Rider fans and helped build Rider Nation.

The Little General was a giant of a man and will be greatly missed.
Bobbyp
Champion

Your talking about a guy that has been back in the organization for the last 4 or 5 years that every single person in it knew who he was, he was current. When was the last time Ron Lancaster was a part of Saskatchewans organization? 25 years just guessing? Not taking anything away from him or what he had done there. I will remember him as the Eskimos coach and the Ticats coach and Ive been watching since 76. If Ackles never came back to the Lions he wouldnt have gotten as much of an outpouring IMO.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
ilovetheriders
Starter

From Wally "Ronnie Lancaster played here 100 years ago" come on that right there shows no respect at all.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The passing of Bob Ackles and Ron Lancaster is tragic for both the CFL and the respective cities. Having said that Buono is right, it's been decades that Lancaster had anything to do with the Rider organization; Bob Ackles was involved in the operation of the Lions at his passing. That's reality.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Looks to me that Wally GETS it more than the people you supposedly have shown the article to.

Wally's point is that the Riders players have NO CONNECTION to Lancaster. You could argue that the Ticats have a MUCH closer affinity to Lancaster than the Riders (which is what Wally was saying).

When Bob Ackles passed, it directly affected the players on the team as they were dealing with him on a daily basis.

Lancaster has NOT been associated with the Riders in over 30 years!

Heck I know Lancaster better as an Edmonton Eskimo or even a broadcaster than I do as the "Little General" in SSK.

To say the players will use his passing as and emotional lift is not being in reality. These players have no affiliation with him. His previous legacy with the Riders is nothing more than history books.

Apparently yo need to look up, because you obviously missed the point and are too busy trying to find fault with your opponent to actually understand what was being said. But hey, I'm Michael Bishop is going to be all full of emotion because of his close ties to what Lancaster means to the HISTORY of the Riders!!

It's like saying Saku Koivu was going to give it that little extra when Maurice Richard passed on.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Vern Halen
Champion

Well - my fellow Rider fan and I will have to disagree - like I said, Wally has the right to say anything he wants, and while I personally feel his comments were unwarranted IMHO, some of his points were true, perhaps not very tactful, but valid.

Let's just see tonight at the game, just how much Ron means to Rider fans. I was saddened by the death of Bob, but he wasn't in my team's organization so I was a little more unaware of how much he meant/means to the Lions - perhaps Lions fans will get a glimpse of what Ronnie meant/means to us this evening.

:beer:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

ilovetheriders wrote:http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 710005007f

I hope you all put your team colours away when you read this. I've shown this to fans from other teams, fans of The CFL and they too are discusted with Wally.
Did you show them the original Vancouver Sun article in which Wally said he was deeply saddened by Lancaster's death and that he was a good friend and that Wally has never met a better person and that Lancaster left a great legacy, or did you just show them the later article you posted in which Wally is asked to compare the effect fo Ackles death in B.C. with that of Lancaster in Saskatchewan? Here's the original article:
'He's left a tremendous legacy'
rb
Champion

Considering how Ron Lancaster was BOOED LOUDLY OFF OF TAYLOR FIELD in his last game in Regina, I don't think that Saskatchewan Roughrider fans should be getting too sanctimonious toward anybody else when it comes to Lancaster.

P.S. He got a standing ovation in his final game, in Edmonton, when he came off the bench to lead the Riders to victory over the Eskimos.
Vern Halen
Champion

LFITQ wrote:Looks to me that Wally GETS it more than the people you supposedly have shown the article to.

Wally's point is that the Riders players have NO CONNECTION to Lancaster. You could argue that the Ticats have a MUCH closer affinity to Lancaster than the Riders (which is what Wally was saying).

When Bob Ackles passed, it directly affected the players on the team as they were dealing with him on a daily basis.

Lancaster has NOT been associated with the Riders in over 30 years!

Heck I know Lancaster better as an Edmonton Eskimo or even a broadcaster than I do as the "Little General" in SSK.

To say the players will use his passing as and emotional lift is not being in reality. These players have no affiliation with him. His previous legacy with the Riders is nothing more than history books.

Apparently yo need to look up, because you obviously missed the point and are too busy trying to find fault with your opponent to actually understand what was being said. But hey, I'm Michael Bishop is going to be all full of emotion because of his close ties to what Lancaster means to the HISTORY of the Riders!!

It's like saying Saku Koivu was going to give it that little extra when Maurice Richard passed on.
I think its unfair to say that the current players have no affiliation with Ron is not true, I feel. On a personal, "I met him" level, yes - there are few. But every day when the Riders come to work, they see two giant banners on the outside of Mosaic Stadium - one of Ron, one of George Reed with the captions "Pride Lives Here". Even the newest player must wonder why those banners are there and what these players mean to the team and the fans.

Last edited by Vern Halen on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joesports
All Star

Vern Halen wrote:Let's just see tonight at the game, just how much Ron means to Rider fans. I was saddened by the death of Bob, but he wasn't in my team's organization so I was a little more unaware of how much he meant/means to the Lions - perhaps Lions fans will get a glimpse of what Ronnie meant/means to us this evening.

:beer:
I'm sure the Rider fans will give a nice salute to Ronnie. He meant a lot to the organization years ago, and the CFL overall. The Ti-cats had a nice tribute to him before their game, with Lancaster's family present.

In terms of the players, well, most of them wouldn't know much about him. Most of the import players frankly don't know anything about the people in the history of our league.