2 Scatback set/Clermont update?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

I don't know about everyone else but I don't think this is going to work, but I think the Lions will try it to a slow death :sigh: In theory it could be very dangerous but all I see is taking touches away from Logan and in the end MABEY even pissing him off. Don't get me wrong Chuck played pretty well last night but Logan should be the feature back with Roberts coming in to take plays to spell Logan. This is just my opinion but I am wondering if this experiment was one of the reasons for the very slow start of the offence last night. I don't think we have time for experiments at this point of the season and I just cringe at the though of Logan being pissed off at getting less touches and bolting; although it seems he has bought into it at this point?

Just wondering if anyone has any news on Clermont's condition?
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

lion24 wrote:I don't know about everyone else but I don't think this is going to work, but I think the Lions will try it to a slow death :sigh: In theory it could be very dangerous but all I see is taking touches away from Logan and in the end MABEY even pissing him off. Don't get me wrong Chuck played pretty well last night but Logan should be the feature back with Roberts coming in to take plays to spell Logan. This is just my opinion but I am wondering if this experiment was one of the reasons for the very slow start of the offence last night. I don't think we have time for experiments at this point of the season and I just cringe at the though of Logan being pissed off at getting less touches and bolting; although it seems he has bought into it at this point?

Just wondering if anyone has any news on Clermont's condition?
Clermnt was in the game again at the end. I think you are right, logan should be the feature, he's exciting and he gets more big plays than roberts did. was disappointed to see that they didnt throw him the ball either....
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
lion24
Legend

To me, the most dangerous way to use both backs would be to send both out for short dump offs and let them work their magic. I didn't see any of that last night and was a little disappointed :sigh: I am not saying this can't work but the plays that suit their strengths have to be designed. I wish the Lions would use more screen passes to the backs as I consistently see many teams get big yardage on these type of plays most notably with Cates in Sask and Harris in Edmonton.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
squishy35
Legend

I like what I saw for a first attempt. There is a lot of potential that the scat back formation brings in regards to teams with established linebackers. It can force teams to man to man coverage which is good news for the likes of Simon and Jackson.
Ryan
All Star

While I think there is room for more creativity than was shown last night, it did open up the field for our receiving corp, particularly when logan and roberts were on together.
pennw
Legend

I didn't like what I saw either . Last two weeks were better , but having said that we need to take into account that this was against the Riders , not an eastern team like the last two weeks . But still the main difference was that Logan got bumped from his starting spot and was relegated to being more just a returner or a 5th receiver .
The TSN panel did not like this either . Shultz thought it real bad because he thinks Logan is one of the best new talents in the league and this is taking the ball away from him .
This looks to me like Wally still trying to look good in the trade , and so far the results are marginal at best , with our O-Cs trying to come up with game planning to take advantage of having Roberts in our lineup .
Maybe we'll end up with two players pissed off , Smart and Logan . Really I can see no up side to the trade so far other then should one scat back get hurt , we got back up . This only one game so far I know , but if it was up to me , I'd trade Roberts back for Smith . I'm afraid we're only going to get bad feelings out this arrangement .
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I think you're going to see more of this as they work more on the new plays in practice. Last night was just the first game.. and not too shabby but did fall short of what they wanted to do.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:I think you're going to see more of this as they work more on the new plays in practice. Last night was just the first game.. and not too shabby but did fall short of what they wanted to do.
:whs:

On the broadcast it was mentioned that Dorazio, Kruck and Chapdelaine were all salivating at the prospect of getting both guys on the field at the same time. So much so they came up with a whole bunch of different plays - it really got them invigorated and creative.

However, after a few practice sessions with the new plays where Logan and Roberts kept bumping into each other, the plays were put on hold and Wally had them simplify the plays.

What we saw last night was a vanilla approach to having the 2 scatback set and the result of really only 1 week of practice with it together. As the season goes along, I would expect to see it used more effectively and with better results. To judge it solely on this game is to lose sight of the bigger picture. The enthusiasm it seems to have created within the team will bode well as we go along. Look at how the team celebrated when Roberts got his first TD in Lions colours. That goes a long way to team building.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's way too early to assess the situation. Roberts only had a few days practice so errors can be expected. As to Clermont, heard on the radio broadcast he suffered a minor separation but Buono said in the post game that Clermont suffered a stinger.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:It's way too early to assess the situation. Roberts only had a few days practice so errors can be expected. As to Clermont, heard on the radio broadcast he suffered a minor separation but Buono said in the post game that Clermont suffered a stinger.
How often did we see the two scatback set...rarely. We only ran one running play out of it. A few times we used the second scatback outside as a receiver. Most of the time we had Roberts and Logan alternatiing. We also saw Lyle Green as the only back sometimes on second down.

We used a lot of double tights, including Green and Anderson as the two tight ends...I really like that formation because you can run better out of it and also pass successfully.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
CartWheelFan
All Star

It looked to me that Clermont's injury was to his right hand, as he was on the sidelines with his glove off that hand and the thumb and forefinger heavily taped. He did seem visibly upset at the injury, at one point tossing his helmet to the turf. Signs of frustration it would appear. Have to wait and see how the story developes, but it didn't look serious enough to put him out for any lengthy period of time.
Big Time
Champion

From what i saw, we saw in Roberts the exact same player that was in Winnipeg. He did not look particularly dangerous and the two scat back set looked disorganized and confused. Roberts was terrible on kickoffs and thankfully was taken away from that duty after his adventures in the first half. Roberts outside of a nice TD run was basically average. Logan looked far more dangerous than Roberts and I'm thinking that Roberts stay with the Lions is going to be short and done after this year. The big loser in all of this is going to be Ian Smart, at least for this year.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:From what i saw, we saw in Roberts the exact same player that was in Winnipeg. He did not look particularly dangerous and the two scat back set looked disorganized and confused.
Yeah, in his first game with a new team and all new players, running all new plays, after only a couple of practices... what a shocker. :sleep:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

They got the win but how much did that early scat back confusion contribute to ending the offensive rhythm of the past two games. My preference would have been bring Joe Smith back in and keep doing what they did in the prior two games with Logan at RB. Granted Logan would not have been able to do the kicks and therein lies the rub if they don't like Smart any more.

It was a high risk gamble and still is as the Lions continue to fight for a playoff berth. If you look at the Bomber running attack with Roberts, he never had to learn a new play for 5 or 6 years. A major tinkering to the offence after their last two games before this one to accommodate a RB they didn't need is odd coaching behaviour indeed.

The TSN panel agreed except for Randorph but the other guys all played in the CFL and they didn't.

If the Lions are all happy that Roberts is in camp and they believe in the guy and what the coaches are doing, then this is critical to their success. No signs that the players think this is odd so that is a good sign. Oh, other than Pierce in the media counting footballs and suggesting they can't get away from the offensive identity they had in the past two games.

Logan now is the better tail back in my view but Logan is also the better kick returner now than Smart or Roberts (he's dangerous there).

To me the one thing this team needs to do is have complete focus on winning every game they can from here to the playoffs or they will be out of the playoffs. This other stuff is high risk stuff which a lot here see as just making the GM/HC look good in his trade.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

CartWheelFan wrote:It looked to me that Clermont's injury was to his right hand, as he was on the sidelines with his glove off that hand and the thumb and forefinger heavily taped. He did seem visibly upset at the injury, at one point tossing his helmet to the turf. Signs of frustration it would appear. Have to wait and see how the story developes, but it didn't look serious enough to put him out for any lengthy period of time.
TEAM 1040 was reporting that Clermont has a shoulder stinger and was feeling some numbness in his arm. Supposedly, it's been a recurring thing and he's been able to play through, but we'll see how this plays out.