Wanted: Some Heart, a receiver and some emotion

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Odie
Rookie

Hey all,

I have been thinking about last night's game and it has taken me until now to settle myself down to a point where I could begin to write objectively. Last night's game should have a number of BC Lions looking deeply into their mirrors today because that game was theirs to lose at the start of the fourth quarter and they got beat by a team that simply wanted it more.

Perhaps the most disappointing thing I noticed was a compete lak of heart and emotion. it might sound a little Rudy-esque, but teams, even less talented teams, win in the game of football because they leave it all on the field every game and because they play as a team. The Lions ARE talented, but they have yet to show they honestly and truly want it. This was supposed to be the season they showed everyone that they deserved to be in the Grey Cup and so far they have looked like they don't even wan into the play-offs. A few years ago, the Leos were having a tough season and I looked at my father and said "they need a big hit to get them going". What I meant was that they needed spark, an emotional torch to light a fire. They got it against Montreal that year with a huge tackle (I think by Dante Marsh) and they rolled on from there. The West division might be slipping, but its still within reach and the Leos can beat any team in it if they just show some heart- receivers need to make plays, the D needs to step up and Joe Smith needs some emotion.

Analysis-wise, we still need major help in certain areas. One is receiver. Rufus Skillern is not the answer. He might have some speed and I could forgive the dropped balls (well some...), but what I cannot forgive, and I am sure the game tape will show, is the fact that he misses blocks. CoRo may not have been an elite receiver, but the man could hit people when he wasnt getting the ball. I watched last night JJ scramble for the endzone. He got the first down, but took a hit because Skillern watched the DB run past him. A block, heck just getting in the way of the DB somehow, might have sprung JJ. This is typical this year - they are not finishing plays with the finer points. I still ahve faith that Hill could be something- hopefully we will see it soon.

Next is Linebacker. I know we have all ragged on them, but it is still a weak spot. I love Javy Glatt and think he is a big reason for their success (play calling wise), but I would like to see what might happen if his speed was used to the outside (along with johnson). In past year, the Leos have relied on Otis Floyd to make plays and to make up for the smallish Glatt on run. Floyd, however, is playing without his normal emotion and he is a good 2 steps behind where he was a year or 2 ago. He was getting roasted on pass coverae last night and is no longer fast enough to chase out into the flats which is where teams are attacking the Leos - coincidence? you decide.

I really hope there are some lions players reading this post. I know that if I was as good an athlete as they are, I would be out there myself, but I still want to throw down a challenge to them: This is a game of emotion, heart, mind and strength above anything else. Its time you looked inside and dug deep. Right now, you are simply not good enough and while you may believe something is owed to you, its not. All there is is whats earned and you havent earned it yet. Play with some heart, show some intensity and remember you are blessed to be playing this game.

That is my humble opinion.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Perhaps some defensive players can lobby Buono for the return of Dave Ritchie. :tease:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Perhaps some defensive players can lobby Buono for the return of Dave Ritchie. :tease:
Now that is funny!!!

I suspect Dave Ritchie is sitting home retired for two reasons - He is not a HC and quite importantly, the assistant coach pay sucked. He in my view was the kind of guy they should have dug deep to pay like the successful HC he once was.
TremTan
prospect

Great post Odie. I fully agree with all that you said. There is a hollowness to the team this season, and it is coming from the belly of the beast. There is no hunger or urgency. You know, I watched the game last night and I started to recall the old, old lions of the Paul Brothers era...all the losing, all the wins that could have been, but ended up losses (especially to the Esks). It was a scary recollection, but there were just too many similarities last night not to have dredged this back up from the recesses of my memory.
Rammer
Team Captain

TremTan wrote:Great post Odie. I fully agree with all that you said. There is a hollowness to the team this season, and it is coming from the belly of the beast. There is no hunger or urgency. You know, I watched the game last night and I started to recall the old, old lions of the Paul Brothers era...all the losing, all the wins that could have been, but ended up losses (especially to the Esks). It was a scary recollection, but there were just too many similarities last night not to have dredged this back up from the recesses of my memory.
How much of last nights loss can we place at the hands of inspiration on the Eskimos behalf? That is the $64M question that Wally is going to have to address sooner than later now. Should be an interesting week of practice for fans that can make it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
TremTan wrote:Great post Odie. I fully agree with all that you said. There is a hollowness to the team this season, and it is coming from the belly of the beast. There is no hunger or urgency. You know, I watched the game last night and I started to recall the old, old lions of the Paul Brothers era...all the losing, all the wins that could have been, but ended up losses (especially to the Esks). It was a scary recollection, but there were just too many similarities last night not to have dredged this back up from the recesses of my memory.
How much of last nights loss can we place at the hands of inspiration on the Eskimos behalf? That is the $64M question that Wally is going to have to address sooner than later now. Should be an interesting week of practice for fans that can make it.
Well, Edmonton's offence didn't appear inspired by Tucker's injury and their desire to win for him for three quarters. It was only after the Eskimos offence started to experience some success that that emotion kicked in to assist. I think too much emphasis is being place on things like motivation, heart, desire, the need for Leos players to have more competition for their postions. Most of these guys played their hearts out last season without anyone pushing them and they are still playing hard. Guys like Rob Murphy played hard last year without worrying about his job. Joe Smith ran through people last year, knowing no one was going to replace him easily.

You're looking in the wrong places. There is very little difference in the pros between winning and losing. Players are mostly pawns on a chess board. They're job is to execute the game plan. Sure, once in a while players make mistakes or make great plays. However, whomever controls the chess board has the most influence on winning and losing. Almost all offensive plays are scripted by their coaches from the game plan. play calls, and specific plays. Quarterbacks go through a progession of prescriped reads, running backs run to specific holes, and receivers are directed to run specific patterns. There is not much room for creativity unless a play breaks down. A receiver might have an option to break off his pattern against a zone or a running back can cut back or kick it outside if the hole is closed and that's about it. As Wally said early this season.. .he wants the coaches to do the thinking and players to do what they're told to do!

When Wally invites reporters in to watch game tape he points out the mistakes of the players. He doesn't ever point out where a different formation on defense or a different play call, against an opposition defense could have made a huge difference. He's skillful at 'culturing' sports writers. The employers are always going to put the focus on the employees (players) when things don't go well. Fans and sports writers enhance that point of view.

However, have a look in Montreal where their offence right now is performing as the second best offence in the league and they were seventh last year. Trestman has made a huge difference. Their maligned offensive line is now considered excellent again. It's the same offensive line that gave up the most quarterback sacks last season. This season they are one of the best at protecting the quarterback and Cavillo is having a resurgence.

Saskatchewan is the league leader in points scored so far this season as Miller uses Wes Cates effectivly, overcomes injureies to key receivers and quarterbacks. Calgary has increased it's offensive production so far by an additional 47 yards per game from last season's league leading with Hufnagel having an influence on their offence. Edmonton has only given up 7 quarterback sacks this season, after allowing Ricky Ray to be pummelled last year. They are a more unpredictable and dangerous offence this season with Worman as their offensive coordinator.

Meanwhile, back here in B.C. our offence has dropped from first in scoring to fifth, has gone from being the best team to protecting it's quarterback last season to seventh so far. In 2005 and 2006, with Chapdelaine here, we were the worst in the league in protecting our quarterback. We've gone down from being the lead leader last season in rushing first downs and rushing touchdowns to dead last. Last season, with a lead, we rushed the football down people's throats. The most rushing we could get from Joe Smith was 15 yards in the second half against Edmonton. Same tailback, same players...

No matter how many fans or sports writers post that our players just got to play 'HAAAARDER', they got to 'EXEEEEECUTE' better, they got to get 'MOOOOOOTIVATED", they need their 'AAAAAAASES' kicked, they are looking in the wrong place for the answer.

No matter how hard Joe Smith tries to run, or how hard our offensive line tries to block..Joe Smith or Logan will run into a brick wall most of the time. The major problesm or solutions are elsewhere...they are not with our running back, our quarterback, etc....they are with our coaching staff and with Roy Shivers, in terms of getting in a top notch import receiver.

The more the opposition sees anything the better they are able to prepare for it and negate it. Defensive coordinators in the CFL have their easiest job in preparation, when they play us. We're the opposite of Forest Gum's box of chocolates...opposition defenses always know what they are going to get!!

The solutions are not in the past. They are in the future. Adapt or be eaten!! I
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Football is like a chess game; the pieces/players are for the most part pre-defined. The chessmaster knows the abilities and shortcomings of each piece, and must game plan accordingly.

There may or may not be shortcomings with individual players, but some things are clear: Lions do not have a deep threat and haven't likely since Brazzell (and his alligator arms), for example.

While the talent as a whole may now be shown as more average than Lions fans had once thought, there have been errors in strategy by the chessmaster(s).

Lions have been badly outcoached at times, partly caused by the loss of Ritchie, but for other reasons that many here either suspect, or know all too well.
Blitz
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:Football is like a chess game; the pieces/players are for the most part pre-defined. The chessmaster knows the abilities and shortcomings of each piece, and must game plan accordingly.

There may or may not be shortcomings with individual players, but some things are clear: Lions do not have a deep threat and haven't likely since Brazzell (and his alligator arms), for example.

While the talent as a whole may now be shown as more average than Lions fans had once thought, there have been errors in strategy by the chessmaster(s).

Lions have been badly outcoached at times, partly caused by the loss of Ritchie, but for other reasons that many here either suspect, or know all too well.
Loved this post Solar Max. It's not that our talent is not really strong..in fact we've improved our talent level. However, other CFL teams have improved even more and they are catching up. We really were beating teams mostly due to our talent and the innovations of Dave Ritchie. While we still miss Ritchie a little our defense, outside of the Edmonton game, has played well overall...although we are going to have to face the fact that we need to make adjustments at the linebacker position. Benevedes is a good coach who is in his first season. I think fans will look back at 2007 and realize how good a job Kruck/Dorazio did in their first season last year. Benevedes will need to learn how to make adjustments better during games but that comes from experience. I believe he'll learn and he's a quick study.

Offensively, I've almost beaten this coaching thing to death but I just feel compelled to keep on pointing it out. I just can't sit back, as a die hard Leo fan, and watch an offence go backwards...it just kills me to see us not be able to run the football in the second half against Edmonton when we could do it so successfully last season. It also burns me to see Jarious or Joe be so maligned as if they can do it all by themselves. Teams have this offence figured out. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

This has been addressed elsewhere, but I just hafta.

Lions had no running game, and then one appeared, maturing in 2007. But only off tackle, and this presumes the ability of the O line to open holes. That in itself is a no-brainer, but Lions have not had the same personnel on that O line for the first 6 games, given injury and repopulating the planet. The presumption is that said O line in its very fluid state will be able to function well enough to open those holes.

Ain't gonna happen consistently.

Yet there is little wide side running by Smith, which could take the heat off of an O line in transition.

Offensive Co-coordinators Kirk, Spock and McCoy gots some fixin' to do.
Blitz
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:This has been addressed elsewhere, but I just hafta.

Lions had no running game, and then one appeared, maturing in 2007. But only off tackle, and this presumes the ability of the O line to open holes. That in itself is a no-brainer, but Lions have not had the same personnel on that O line for the first 6 games, given injury and repopulating the planet. The presumption is that said O line in its very fluid state will be able to function well enough to open those holes.

Ain't gonna happen consistently.

Yet there is little wide side running by Smith, which could take the heat off of an O line in transition.

Offensive Co-coordinators Kirk, Spock and McCoy gots some fixin' to do.
I realize that we missed Murphy for a game but he was more than adequately replaced. I also recognize that Valli has been in there for the past two games, in place of Rasouli. While the changes have to have some impact both replacements have played well.

I really don't believe that, when Rasouli returns, we'll see much difference in the effectiveness of our running attack. Last season we mixed up the cutback zone run and the stretch play off-tackle with the two back set, using counters, blasts, counter tosses, options, and pitches. Chap is trying to mix it once in a while with Smith on a toss but the play is ineffective, because it's difficult to run out of the ace back set. When we got Smith outside last season, we had Lyle Green leading him.

I am happy that we are beginning to use Lyle Green more in our offence. Change comes at glacial speed with The Chap but he is trying to do a few new things. However, those changes are not formationed properly.
Mane
prospect

I have to agree with all that is written above and appreciate the in depth comments from knowledgeable Lionbackers. I found this quote today from one of the worlds best managers of all time. Maybe someone could pass this on to WB as I find it most applicable to the current situation.

"Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has warned his players there will be no room for complacency this season.

United won both the Premier League and Champions League last term but Ferguson now wants his squad to knuckle down to the new campaign.

He insists he will not be afraid to move players on if he feels they are not showing the hunger he expects.

The Scot said: 'If success has gone to anyone's head and they show signs they are ready to rest on their laurels, they will soon be on their way.

'Soon I will look into the eyes of my players to make sure they have retained the hunger they need to succeed. Then we will look forward.

'If I don't see the appetite and ambition, then the bus moves on without anyone who has lost the spark.'
longtimefan
Starter

Now that I've calmed down as well and read all your posts...you're all right . Wally expressed publicly that he wanted this team to win the cup for the Ackles family. When Wally finally shakes his head and says enough, maybe we'll see changes and improvements from the coaching positions and and working down to the players. Then and I think only then will the Lions have a shot at doing it Teams have changed coaches responsibilities during the season before and it can certainly be done again.We have the talent, ( except for a receiver or two) it just needs to be utilized in the best way possible.Maybe Obie can do his old team a favour and drop the names of a few recivers.
Rammer
Team Captain

longtimefan wrote:Now that I've calmed down as well and read all your posts...you're all right . Wally expressed publicly that he wanted this team to win the cup for the Ackles family. When Wally finally shakes his head and says enough, maybe we'll see changes and improvements from the coaching positions and and working down to the players. Then and I think only then will the Lions have a shot at doing it Teams have changed coaches responsibilities during the season before and it can certainly be done again.We have the talent, ( except for a receiver or two) it just needs to be utilized in the best way possible.Maybe Obie can do his old team a favour and drop the names of a few recivers.
Well Obie is looking for a couple of receivers himself currently along with a few more positional players unfortunately. What is frustrating for Lion fans is having the two ideal style backs that "can't be used" in the same backfield, while watching the Lions trot out insignificant contributor 5th receiver game in and game out. You can't tell me that teams would be able to stack the box with both RB's in an I formation, and both are very capable at taking a toss as well. We aren't playing our best players and suffering losses that only exemplify that. :i: :i:

Interestingly, the two teams that made the fewest off season moves, both pegged to be strong contenders for 1st in their divisions, are both currently at the bottom of their respective divisions.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Good call, Rammer.

And one more thing grated on Thursday regarding that receiving issue, namely that even Brock Ralph caught at least one.
Brock Ralph couldn't catch cold.

Now we all understand that this was an emotionally charged game for the Esks (even though it wasn't really until the 3rd quarter when the Lions took their foot off the Eskimos throat) and all, but look at the resurgence of Kamau Peterson, for one. He's stepped up hugely, and started squeezing the ball over the last two seasons. Does that happen here?

One thing seems apparent: discounting the dearth of available receivers out there, in my mind, so far at least, Shivers hasn't even delivered an Import LB that could step up. More and more it looks like losing O'Bie has been a stake through the heart. (I wonder what Tim Goodwell's crime was.....)

If Skillern can't keep up after 3 or so, then cut him. In the meantime, Nicolson has to be tutored by the receivers coach to catch the ball, and therefore help out the ratio.
No Ka Oi
Starter

Our passing offence has never been the same since we lost Ryan Thelwell. He perhaps wasn't spectacular, but was reliable, and now we have nobody to complement P. Jackson in our non-import receiver corps, as Nicolson, Boden and Colon havn't worked out.

You wonder how good of receiver Kendrick Jones could of become after another year or two of seasoning? He might of been a better option than little-Skill-ern or even Coleman, who can catch but has fumbled several times in traffic. Maybe the Stamps would trade Thelwell back to the Lions? He has dropped many passes this year, so he would fit right in here and seems the forgotten man in Calgary.