Official 2007-08 Vancouver Canucks Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Soundy
Hall of Famer

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Please provide a copy of the parade route.

Sorry man, I'm not mocking you, I just don't trust hiring Gillis was in the team's best interest. Ownership blew it big time, IMO of course.

:beer:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
I didn't say a thing about a parade. Nor am I suggesting that the team is magically going to steamroll its way to a 164-point season and 16-game Cup victory now.

But I also don't get all this doom and gloom from armchair GMs who figure they know better what's going on behind the scenes than people who've been in the NHL for years.
Sorry man, I'm not mocking you, I just don't trust hiring Gillis was in the team's best interest. Ownership blew it big time, IMO of course.

Because of course, you've been in the NHL "industry" far longer than Gillis has, and have much more experience as a GM, right?
(\__/)
runningback
prospect

It's going to be a long season..... :juggle:
LFITQ
Team Captain

So going through the free agent list, who is it that Gillis should sign to help the team out? It's one thing to say he needs a goal scorer or he needs a dlineman or he needs a goalie, but something quite different to actually give constructive criticism with actual examples. So nay-sayers - put your smarts on the line....

Going through the list, other than Marion Hossa, there didn't seem to be a lot of big name goal scorers that would create the "buzz" that seems to be wanted on here.

Now that having been said, part of the issue that Gillis is going to have is that players want to go to a contender (reference Hossa's signing elsewhere for less money and Naslund's comments about leaving Vancouver). The past regime hasn't exactly put forth the idea that the Canucks are a contender this year. Gillis needs to put that winning mentality into Vancouver (much like Wally has done with the Lions) in order to generate more opportunities for him to sign. Personally, I think he needs to get a new HC (yeah I know give me an example of a replacement) because Vaigneault's methodology doesn't work.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Soundy
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:So going through the free agent list, who is it that Gillis should sign to help the team out? It's one thing to say he needs a goal scorer or he needs a dlineman or he needs a goalie, but something quite different to actually give constructive criticism with actual examples. So nay-sayers - put your smarts on the line....
But... but... it's so much easier to just complain!
Going through the list, other than Marion Hossa, there didn't seem to be a lot of big name goal scorers that would create the "buzz" that seems to be wanted on here.
That's part of the problem, too: none of the "big name" UFAs signed so far this year are likely to be really WORTH what they're getting. There were six, maybe seven that could be considered "good pickins", and with 30 teams, 23 are them are going to have to be disappointed... or conversely, have their GMs labeled as useless idiots. Of course, that could all change a few months down the road, when someone's new $8M UFA has six points in the first 40 games, and suddenly THAT GM is the idiot and the other 23 were "smart for not picking him up"...
Now that having been said, part of the issue that Gillis is going to have is that players want to go to a contender (reference Hossa's signing elsewhere for less money and Naslund's comments about leaving Vancouver). The past regime hasn't exactly put forth the idea that the Canucks are a contender this year. Gillis needs to put that winning mentality into Vancouver (much like Wally has done with the Lions) in order to generate more opportunities for him to sign. Personally, I think he needs to get a new HC (yeah I know give me an example of a replacement) because Vaigneault's methodology doesn't work.
I'm willing to see what AV can or will do with a more offensively-structured team. Face it, if the team he was given had been coached in a "exciting", offense-first, run-and-gun style, they have been obliterated, and we would have had a great chance of getting that first-overall pick three years running, instead of having at least one playoff round and a Jack Adams trophy. A defensive style was what this team WAS BUILT FOR three years ago, and that's how they HAD to be coached.
(\__/)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The vast majority of the UFA's are way overpaid and in the twilights of their career. A lot of the GM's signing these UFA's are going to regret it in a couple of years.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It was 11 years ago in the summer of 1997 when the Canucks signed their captain from the NYR, Mark Messier. But in his three years as a Canuck, he was quite ineffective with the team and eventually returned to the Rangers. The roles have been reversed two days ago. It remains to be seen how long Naslund would stay with the Rangers. First Linden, and then Naslund - two long Canucks who have just left the team. :bawl:

Who do you think will be the captain now?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:
I didn't say a thing about a parade. Nor am I suggesting that the team is magically going to steamroll its way to a 164-point season and 16-game Cup victory now.

But I also don't get all this doom and gloom from armchair GMs who figure they know better what's going on behind the scenes than people who've been in the NHL for years.

Because of course, you've been in the NHL "industry" far longer than Gillis has, and have much more experience as a GM, right?[/quote]

Not at all, but I had a pig once and put some lipstick on it.......it was still a pig...better looking...but still a pig.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

LIONGUY - Not at all, but I had a pig once and put some lipstick on it.......it was still a pig...better looking...but still a pig.

That post Lionguy has me cracking up.

:whs:
smphantom
Legend

The Calgary Flames will be suffering from Malignant Bertuzzinoma for a year! :no:
Todd Bertuzzi is coming back to Canada. The Calgary Flames have announced they have signed the power forward to a one-year contract.
Stay thirsty my friends.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I have no " doom and gloom " in me; all I'm saying is that the blowhard Gillis spouted off how he was coming in here to provide "sweeping changes"....cuz we "need to win NOW".

So far I have seen nothing...so my question remains, why was Nonis fired?

I am not saying that there is anything that Gillis should or could do....my point is that he spouted off BEFORE he did anything without understanding that is just may be a tad harder to accomplish than he thought. He doesn't get a pass. He arrogantly stated he was going to do something NOW...and I'm still waiting.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:I have no " doom and gloom " in me; all I'm saying is that the blowhard Gillis spouted off how he was coming in here to provide "sweeping changes"....cuz we "need to win NOW".

So far I have seen nothing...so my question remains, why was Nonis fired?

I am not saying that there is anything that Gillis should or could do....my point is that he spouted off BEFORE he did anything without understanding that is just may be a tad harder to accomplish than he thought. He doesn't get a pass. He arrogantly stated he was going to do something NOW...and I'm still waiting.
You are making a very good point and one that the newspaper writers except for Tony Gallagher have questioned or explicitly came out and questioned firing Nonis as they did. Some TV guys like Jay Janower keep saying 'give him time' but the hockey smart folks among the writers question this too and the lack of a job search.

(Note to Soundy: You huff and puff and make a lot of Sound but instead of asking me to prove no interviews for GM took place in the context of a proper job search, for once you get off your high horse and you prove that the owner did any. You will be pretty short of proof. You are so quick to jump on others post with your blah blah blah. Oh the technique of discrediting any other contrary opinions to yours by asking how much GM experience those who disagree with you have perhaps you'd care to enlighten us as to yours because you sound more like a big bag of air here than a guy with any insights of his own.)

I have a hard time getting past Gillis' arrogant statements when he came to Vancouver which have painted him into a corner versus taking the high road and focusing on the positives in the franchise and building from there.

Quite frankly I at first didn't like him facing the media on BC Lion gameday last Friday for the first time in daysbut when I saw his squinting into the sun interview as GM Place had an event and they couldn't do it there, I thought it was funny.

The problem as I see it is that changing GMs means the new guy might b
CartWheelFan
All Star

smphantom wrote:The Calgary Flames will be suffering from Malignant Bertuzzinoma for a year! :no:
This is the saddest day in my 20 years as a Flames fan! We can't resign Cujo but we can bring in that abomination BerWTFuzzi?! :x I don't care if he is wearing a Flaming C on his jersey or not, I'll BOO him to my last breath! He is the LAST thing the Flames need right now (or ever) And before someone points this out, yes, I do rank this as being worse than losing game 7 of the finals to Tampa in '04, because with this signing we're putting the chances of another run like that further and further away! :bawl: Aside from the baggage, the lack of anything even remotely close to productive hockey in recent years, the string of injuries may prove this a very stupid gamble on the Flames part.

On the other hand I can't say I wouldn't mind having him score 40+ goals and making me eat these words. I wouldn't bet my next paycheck on it however.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

CartWheelFan wrote:
smphantom wrote:The Calgary Flames will be suffering from Malignant Bertuzzinoma for a year! :no:
This is the saddest day in my 20 years as a Flames fan! We can't resign Cujo but we can bring in that abomination BerWTFuzzi?! :x I don't care if he is wearing a Flaming C on his jersey or not, I'll BOO him to my last breath! He is the LAST thing the Flames need right now (or ever) And before someone points this out, yes, I do rank this as being worse than losing game 7 of the finals to Tampa in '04, because with this signing we're putting the chances of another run like that further and further away! :bawl: Aside from the baggage, the lack of anything even remotely close to productive hockey in recent years, the string of injuries may prove this a very stupid gamble on the Flames part.

On the other hand I can't say I wouldn't mind having him score 40+ goals and making me eat these words. I wouldn't bet my next paycheck on it however.
Bertuzzi One Year Deal - Low Risk I guess.....

I can understand your complaints but you have to realize with Keenan you get these kind of aberrant decisions. Better question is what is the GM Sutter thinking. Granted if Bertuzzi was able to be fully healed and his head clear as much as it can be of legal issues with the lawsuit he is facing his career might be rekindled. The downside is that it didn't work in Detroit or Anaheim.

I am glad Vancouver didn't try and reinvent the past by trying to get Bert back.

Brendan Morrison Gone....

Very sad to see Brendan Morrison leaving town. He too was hurt last year and before that was an ironman. He loves this city and this team and he was a quality person who never shied from the media win or lose. He will be missed.

I can see him signing in Burkeville for a lot of reasons including Anaheim's proximity and ease of travel to his home in Port Moody area.

James Duthie of Sportsnet on the Mats Sundin offer - The new GM Gillis wanted to make a big splash but Duthie questions whether there is any water in the pool. Absolutely brilliant. Sundin ain't coming.