Austin is Coach of The Year

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gerry
Legend

ziggy wrote:Perhaps you are right and its not for the Best coach. I agree Austin had a dramatic effect and I'm not knocking the choice as I said in my previous post. The award though is for the coach,who most displays excellent leadership, discipline and dedication to excellence in the regular season. I think thats pretty specific.
You're right, ziggy. I didn't know the exact wording, and the wording you give is quite specific. I guess my interpretation is just that, my idea of how it works.

Bottom line, neither of us is bent out of shape about Austin getting the nod. :beer:
Enough is enough.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote: Bottom line, neither of us is bent out of shape about Austin getting the nod. :beer:
What I like is Buono is probably could care less about Austin winning this award over him and cares a lot more about finishing the 2008 season the same way he/Lions finished the 2006.
Rammer
Team Captain

It should have been unanimous
The Leader-Post (Regina)
Thu 28 Feb 2008
Page: C1 / FRONT
Section: Sports
Byline: Rob Vanstone
Column: Rob Vanstone
Source: The Leader-Post

Maybe Danny Barrett was right. Perhaps some of us in the media are truly gormless.

How else do you explain the voting breakdown for CFL coach-of-the-year?

The Football Reporters of Canada made the correct choice by bestowing the honour upon Kent Austin, who guided the Saskatchewan Roughriders to the 2007 Grey Cup championship.

But here's the goofy part: Austin received 21 of 42 first-place votes, with the others being distributed among Wally Buono of the B.C. Lions (15), Pinball Clemons of the Toronto Argonauts (five) and Doug Berry of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1).

Some reporters saw fit to Berry their heads in the sand. Austin should have been a unanimous choice.

What more does someone have to do to win over most of the FRC's voting members? (That esteemed group does not include this scribbler, by the way.)

The voting was conducted after the regular season. Consequently, the Roughriders' playoff run was not considered. But so what?

The process of identifying a coach-of-the-year should have been a no-brainer. And maybe it was, given that half the first-place votes were not for Austin.

Even before the playoffs, Austin's impact upon his team in 2007 set him apart from his distinguished peers.

Austin played an integral role in Saskatchewan staging its first home playoff game in 19 years. The Roughriders' fortunes ascended under Austin even though the team encountered a spate of injuries.

To be fair, Buono's team also prospered despite injuries to its first- and second-string quarterbacks -- Dave Dickenson and Buck Pierce. There is something to be said for winning a regular-season division championship with Jarious Jackson at quarterback.

However, Jackson had an elite corps of receivers at his disposal. By season's end, Austin's offence was without ace receiver Matt Dominguez, who was sidelined by a knee injury after the 10th game. Even so, the Roughriders' offence continued to produce despite having only two go-to receivers -- D.J. Flick and Andy Fantuz.

Quarterback Kerry Joseph amassed some of his best passing totals without Dominguez in the lineup. Austin's expert tutelage made a world of difference for Joseph, who ended up being named the CFL's most outstanding player.

Also worth noting: The Roughriders' outstanding player in 2006 -- Kenton Keith -- spent last season with the NFL's Indianapolis Colts. Yet, the offence's potency improved under Austin (who is now the offensive co-ordinator at the University of Mississippi).

Rarely has a head coach had such an impact on a team and its mindset in only one season. As much as the modest Austin is rankled by the notion, he was the reason why Saskatchewan improved upon Barrett's perennial 9-and-9 finishes.

The Roughriders proceeded several steps further. Austin ended up guiding them to only the third championship in the franchise's 98-year history.

By then, all the voting had been done. What's the rush?

Why not wait until after the Grey Cup to conduct the voting if the winner is not going to be announced until three months later?

Regardless of the timing, all 42 votes should have been for Austin. Pinball put it best on Wednesday: "There was only one choice this year.''

Austin's aw
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

I think that the writer is off the deep end in suggesting that Austin should have been a unanimous selection for HC of the Year, especially considering that the votes were cast prior to the playoffs. What I do find funny is how he is suggesting that KK's departure was a contributing factor to reasoning on Austins behalf for voting. This has zero to do with what took place in 07. He further tries to imply that the absence of Matt Dominguez is/was more critical to the Riders than the Lions losing DD and BP for extended periods during the season. To me the Lions adjusted moreso than what the Riders did, and I would also suggest that alot of first year HC's seem to have some success only to follow that up with less than satisfactory seasons as a second year HC.

At any rate, the correct HC won the Annis Stukas award, but I would have been very interested to see what KA would have done in 08, had he returned to a slightly different team.
ziggy
Legend

I have to agree with you Rammer. Would be interesting to see if KA could be consistent or merely a flash in the pan.
Reider
Starter

Was there seriously ever a doubt that Kent Austin would win it? :beer:
Rammer
Team Captain

Reider wrote:Was there seriously ever a doubt that Kent Austin would win it? :beer:
Doug Brown thinks otherwise....
Buono, not Austin, deserved CFL coach of the year honours
Winnipeg Free Press
Tue 04 Mar 2008
Page: C4
Section: Sports
Byline: Doug Brown

WHILE I was off on my annual snow retreat to sunnier destinations to play beach volleyball like a man who was looking to become one with the sand, the CFL had its annual congress in Calgary, Feb. 25-27.

Every team had multiple representatives in attendance and, now that I have safely returned to share in the remainder of our ice age, it gives me an opportunity to convey my two cents worth on some of the issues that were discussed.

First of all, as you should already know, the winner of the coach of the year award for the CFL was announced and Ken Austin, formerly of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, was the victor, beating out B.C.'s Wally Buono by a comfortable margin with 21 of 42 first-place votes.

That seems like a logical conclusion since the Riders did win their first Grey Cup since the wheel was invented, but not necessarily the way I would have gone since the award is supposed to be reflective of "leadership, discipline and dedication to excellence" during the regular season and not the post-season.

I can't say the B.C. Lions were the kings of discipline this past year with all the carnage created by the WWE superstars on their offensive line, but when it comes to dedication to excellence, nothing is more indicative of that than setting a record in B.C. for the most wins ever in the regular season and league-leading record of 14-4.

In addition, according to my undercover operatives who were in attendance at this congress, the main points of address delivered by commissioner Mark Cohon were in respect to code of conduct between the franchises and the advent of a new partnership with TSN.

As we have all seen, when front-office types and even coaches take issue with one another, they tend to make their feelings known through the media.

My sources tell me that the commissioner has now made it clear to all the clubs that if any representative or coach has a vendetta with another member of another franchise, he should be notified to mediate the dispute instead of via the press.

Fortunately for you -- fans who enjoy good mudslinging -- the players have no such mandate on the docket and will continue to take liberties with one another intentionally and otherwise through proper media channels.

I was told referee abuse was also a code of conduct policy that they were looking to be channeled more constructively, but as we all know, the best way to eliminate that problem is by throwing more money and training at the men in stripes, not curtailing the criticisms.

The position TSN is reportedly taking as the network assumes the entire CFL broadcasting experience is that they are looking to partner with all the member clubs in order to expand their access points and give our viewership more in- depth coverage -- similar to what we see with the NFL.

If all goes as planned you will be hearing head coaches miked-up with the usual allotment of players and camera access in the locker-room immediately after the games to capture all the human elements of victory.

I feel the more coverage the better when it comes to selling the game and the personalities in the CFL, but they better have a verbal and visual censor on hand before they relay any footage of the head coaching dialogues.

And finally, the most exciting news to be leaked onto my lap from the annual congress are the pending results from the CFL's first-ever attempt at salary cap enforcement.

All the CFL clubs will have access to the audited financial information for each member club by the middle of March and the information will then be released to the public by the end of April -- in my opinion -- so each team can figure out how to spin the news of whether they cheated or played by the rules. Fittingly, the CFL draft is also at the end of April so some fans might be surprised about the forfeiture of a draft pick or two, depending on the penalty their club incurred
Another thing of interest is his suggestion in the last paragraph that there will be some surprise as to the loss of draft picks by some fans....hmmmm.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Reider wrote:Was there seriously ever a doubt that Kent Austin would win it? :beer:
I don't think there was much doubt but Mr. Vanstone seems to have difficulty with the fact that other didn't quite see it the way he did. A little too Rose Coloured Glasses methinks. Austin was more than worthy but has there ever been a unanimous vote?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.