Joe Smith returning to Lions - CKNW

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

CKNW has learned that running back Joe Smith had a workout with the NFL's Houston Texans today, but did not receive an offer from the club. Smith has let the 1 pm deadline for CFL players in the option year to sign in the NFL pass. Talks have contiuned with the Lions, and the two sides are very close to signing a deal which will make Smith one of the top paid running backs in the CFL.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good to have him back.
Don Miller
Legend

Good to have this out of the way considering he never left us. He probaby figured training camp fodder was not as good as being a star in the CFL. I hope Wally gets him aboard for at least 2 with an option of a third year. If he can stay healthy he can only be better.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's great to have Smith back. Here's a Mike Beamish story confirming the news:
Vancouver Sun article
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Good to hear. Glad he's staying. Best thing for him. :beauty:
ziggy
Legend

Great news, he is one of a kind and a truly a great RB
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

YES!!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A 3 year contract for between $120 and $140 K per year. Not bad. Fair market value. If Joe is careful with his money, which I expect he will be, and collects a few more pop cans, he can be pretty well set up for his post-football adventures.

Smith had no guarantee on the offer from the Texans. Translation: Training Camp fodder.

Just married. Way to go, Joe. So much for your world-travelin' Gypsy days. :wink:
"B.C. has great management, leadership and ownership," Lewis said. "[GM] Wally Buono is a class act. Returning to B.C. was the right thing for Joe to do, given his life and family situation."
That's right. Wally runs a class organization. Straight goods.
"It was a win-win for both parties," said Neil McEvoy, the Lions' assistant GM. "If Joe had the opportunity to better himself, we would have been happy for him. Now we have one of the CFL's premier backs, the league's rushing leader, back with us again. There were no negatives here."
Yee Haw. :rockin:

B.C.'s training camp opens June 1 in Abbotsford. Bring it on.

Good news all around. :thup:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Great news! I just didn't see Smith fitting in the NFL mold. He's too CFL'ish to play down there. Glad he's here instead.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Just as I suspected. There doesn't look to be a deposit on pop tins. That must have been the deciding factor!

Welcome back Joe.

Jeese, I just looked this up, there is only about 11 states that have any kind of bottle deposit law.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
No Ka Oi
Starter

Wow! He turned down several offers from NFL teams, including a US$370K deal with his hometown Texans, to stay in B.C! While the reported Lions salary of $130k is a lot for a CFL running back, Joe is worth it!
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

A salary between $120K and $140K......hmmmmm......anyone want to start a poll on how long it will take for Chuck Bob in Winnipeg to throw a hissy fit and want to re-negotiate his contract? :lol:
Lloyd
No Ka Oi
Starter

It seems like our whole team is making at least $120-$140k now, but I guess Wally has found a way to keep the Lions under the SMS.
joesports
All Star

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

Fantastic news!
Rammer
Team Captain

No Ka Oi wrote:It seems like our whole team is making at least $120-$140k now, but I guess Wally has found a way to keep the Lions under the SMS.
20 starters at $120K equals, $2.4M plus two QBs at $200K bumps that total up to $2.8M, leaving $1.4M for the remaining 24 roster players, plus the PR group. That averages out to just over $40K per......hmmm.
Entertainment value = an all time low