Official NBA Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

I can't wait for March - I'm seeing a Suns game in Phoenix!!!!
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

the hornets signed a two year extension to continue to play in New Orleans but the lease has an interesting twist to it. The hornets now have the option to opt out of the lease after the 08-09 season if the average home attendance is under 14,700! Is this the Hornets checking out of the city? I think so-the average attendance for this year is under 12,000 and I dont see why that is going to change anytime soon. At least New Orleans now doesn't have to pay for that expensive practice facility and can actually take care of more important things.

Vancouver Hornets anyone? :rockin:
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:I can't wait for March - I'm seeing a Suns game in Phoenix!!!!
that's awesome...be sure to buy some suns gear at US Airways Center while you are at the game, so you have something cool to remember about the great trip!
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

GeroySimonFAN wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:I can't wait for March - I'm seeing a Suns game in Phoenix!!!!
that's awesome...be sure to buy some suns gear at US Airways Center while you are at the game, so you have something cool to remember about the great trip!
Yeah, thanks I will. My goal is to buy an NBA jersey whenever I go to an NBA game (Kevin Durant, one down many to go)...

As for the Hornets, with them and Seattle in lingo for staying in their respective cities, how could Canada not be considered for another team??

GeroySimonFAN
All Star

I have many NBA Jerseys but sadly no Sonics jersey..... When i go to a game sometime in the near future down in Seattle I will pick up a Jeff Green or Durant jersey. I received an Adidas Phoenix Suns Steve Nash Jersey for Christmas. I love it! :)
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

GeroySimonFAN wrote:I have many NBA Jerseys but sadly no Sonics jersey..... When i go to a game sometime in the near future down in Seattle I will pick up a Jeff Green or Durant jersey. I received an Adidas Phoenix Suns Steve Nash Jersey for Christmas. I love it! :)
Nice. I wish I got a Green jersey though - he's IMO the future and I haven't seen Durant (he didn't play)

GeroySimonFAN
All Star

The Sonics were playing at home last night to Dallas and lost 90-70...very poor performance by the Supes. Also the attendance was 12,522, so around 5,000 empty seats on a Friday night and a good team(dallas was in town)...no one really cares about this team..as they are now 9-27.
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

for anyone following the sonics dissapointing season, does anyone feel that this is basically a "tank" job by the owners and the coach etc?...just so they can say, hey the team is terrible, no fans are showing up, making the move to OKC that mucuh easier?
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

GeroySimonFAN wrote:for anyone following the sonics dissapointing season, does anyone feel that this is basically a "tank" job by the owners and the coach etc?...just so they can say, hey the team is terrible, no fans are showing up, making the move to OKC that mucuh easier?
Well I went to the last home game before the Dallas one, and there were probably 4000 seats with no one in them, and it was on New Years Eve, with probably 10 thousand people within Seattle Center (Space Needle etc.) but still no one in the seats.

Kinda disappointing, and Philly was in town (Samuel Dalembert of the 76ers who was Canadian was cheered for by a lot of people whenever he got a basket), with Igoudala and crew.

Then, my dad spoke to someone of the Sonics, who was mentioning how he doesn't think they're going to leave. Yeah, right. Personally I want them to stay just because they're the closest hometeam we have (Raptors on a four hour plane ride away? Don't think so)...but they won't last through May.

GeroySimonFAN
All Star

anyone watching the suns game on Sportsnet? they are losing to Milwaukee after the first half...gave up a ton of points...
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

anyone catch the Raps/Blazers this morning?

Back-and-forth all game, and after the Raps had a four-point lead with seconds left, Jamario Moon fouled Brandon Roy who made the three-pointer he was shooting, and the foul shot..tie game!

First OT, Roy made a HUGE three-pointer off-balance to tie it again, after Jose Calderon made a clutch three earlier.

Raps won in Double-Overtime but it was by far the best game I've ever seen.

GeroySimonFAN
All Star

Dallas at Sacramento is on Sportsnet Pacific tonight at 7:00PM PST.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I have to say that I'm extremely shocked and surprised at seeing a sports organization actually ordering a portion of a game to be replayed due to their own officiating error.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /801120329

The NBA admitted an officiating error and ruled that the Atlanta Hawks and Miami Heat must replay the final 51.9 seconds of their game last month because the official scorer ruled incorrectly that Shaquille O'Neal fouled out.

It seems like the only sports environment where the results of a competition can actually be changed well after the fact is the Olympics. Canadians Jamie Salé, David Pelletier, and Sylvie Fréchette were awarded gold medals well after the actual event. Marion Jones was stripped of her five 2000 Olympic medals, meaning the original fourth place finisher will now receive a bronze medal and any other finalists who finished under her will be promoted one level up.

But that doesn't seem to be the case in other sports organizations.

In the MLB, should game 1 of the 1996 ALCS series be replayed from the bottom of the 8th inning because a kid helped out with Derek Jeter's alleged home run? And should game 6 of the 1985 World Series be replayed from the bottom of the ninth inning with St. Louis leading Kansas City because Jorge Orta should have been out at first?

In the NHL, should the game 6 of the 1999 Stanley Cup playoffs be replayed from late in the 3rd overtime because Brett Hull's skate was in the crease when he allegedly scored the Stanley CUp winning goal?

In the NFL, how about replaying the 1999 NFC wild-card game because Jerry Rice was ruled down before fumbling against the Packers when Replays show the play was indeed a fumble, and the 49ers go on to win the game on Steve Young's dramatic TD pass to Terrell Owens as time expired.

In World Cup soccer, should the 1986 World Cup semi-final be replayed when Diego Maradona used his Hand of God to score against England?

And how about giving BC Lions the ball on the Edmonton 1 yard line as a result of the pass interference call for the final play of the 2005 West Division Final?
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Robbie wrote: In the MLB, should game 1 of the 1996 ALCS series be replayed from the bottom of the 8th inning because a kid helped out with Derek Jeter's alleged home run? And should game 6 of the 1985 World Series be replayed from the bottom of the ninth inning with St. Louis leading Kansas City because Jorge Orta should have been out at first?

In the NHL, should the game 6 of the 1999 Stanley Cup playoffs be replayed from late in the 3rd overtime because Brett Hull's skate was in the crease when he allegedly scored the Stanley CUp winning goal?

In the NFL, how about replaying the 1999 NFC wild-card game because Jerry Rice was ruled down before fumbling against the Packers when Replays show the play was indeed a fumble, and the 49ers go on to win the game on Steve Young's dramatic TD pass to Terrell Owens as time expired.

In World Cup soccer, should the 1986 World Cup semi-final be replayed when Diego Maradona used his Hand of God to score against England?

And how about giving BC Lions the ball on the Edmonton 1 yard line as a result of the pass interference call for the final play of the 2005 West Division Final?
All the times you mentioned were in the playoffs, where if you lose you're out for the year and if you win good job you move onto the next round.

EXCEPT in this NBA case it's a regular season game that can be made up anytime between now and mid-April (that's three months). The outcome won't come into affect until the Regular Season is over, and frankly until the RS is over, this affects no one but the two teams. If any one of the cases you mentioned was replayed, the playoffs would have to happen all over again, and there'd be a lot of angry fans.

In this case? No, not really. The scorer made a mistake, that could have costed Miami the game, and the fans have no one to be mad at but their own scorer.

GeroySimonFAN
All Star

Suns @ Clippers Tonight at 7:30PST on The Score.

Raptors are playing Detroit on TSN right now.