World Junior Hockey Tournament

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

It looks like the fact that Jonathon Blum is on Team USA isn't enough for you to support that team. For me, I find it difficult to cheer for members on Team Canada that play on teams that are the Giants bitter rivals. I found another case of a local player on another team.

Oscar Moller of the Chilliwack Bruins has been selected to play for Team Sweden.

ImageImage

So maybe just like the situation with Canuck players on the Swedish Olympic Team, I should support Team Sweden based on our local WHL players. :twisted: :hypno:

ImageImageImage
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

My guess would be it would have to do with cheering on the US, rather than Jonathon Blum. Historically, the Swedes aren't of the egotistical variety, much like many professional American born athletes. I believe it's the superstars like Terrell Owens, Carl Lewis, Chad Johnson and the likes, turn people off cheering for the US.
lion24
Legend

As always the Canadians had to battle with the questionable officiating as if you hit someone to hard you get a penalty or you have the european soccer diving that drives me nuts :bang: They were able to kill off the penalties and the Canadian goaltending once again is probably the best in the tournament which will hopefully help to overcome the refs :cr: ...................and we thought the CFL refs were bad!!! :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Rammer
Team Captain

lion24 wrote:As always the Canadians had to battle with the questionable officiating as if you hit someone to hard you get a penalty or you have the european soccer diving that drives me nuts :bang: They were able to kill off the penalties and the Canadian goaltending once again is probably the best in the tournament which will hopefully help to overcome the refs :cr: ...................and we thought the CFL refs were bad!!! :wink:
Went both ways in todays game in regards to the reffing, just look at our second goal PP, it wouldn't be called in the WHL.

Canada is going to have to stop playing on the perimeter and utilize the room the larger ice surface provides. Putting bodies in front of those last two goalies would have been a good option, as anything that they saw they were stopping easily.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Canada is 2-0 at the Spengler Cup as well...

Team Canada:Hockey::Patriots:NFL

:)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sweden scored 4 goals in the third period with the winning goal coming with only 7 seconds left to win 4-3 over Canada.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Hardest WJ game I've ever watched. OUCH.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Swedish team was unreal - in-your-face, North American-style hockey. Seemed to catch Canada off-guard. Good on them for getting that 4th goal, but our D sure looked weak giving that one up.

Well-fought, in any case!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

For me, not all that painful seeing Oscar Moller score for Sweden, even if it is against Canada.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada is lacking goal scorers in this tournament.
lion24
Legend

Robbie wrote:For me, not all that painful seeing Oscar Moller score for Sweden, even if it is against Canada.
I don't care about Oscar Meyer, Moller or even Oscar the Grouch.......It is Canada I am cheering for :roll: I guess everyone can cheer for whom they please but do you cheer for team Sweden at the Olympics because of Naslund and the Sedins :?
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:
Robbie wrote:For me, not all that painful seeing Oscar Moller score for Sweden, even if it is against Canada.
I don't care about Oscar Meyer, Moller or even Oscar the Grouch.......It is Canada I am cheering for :roll: I guess everyone can cheer for whom they please but do you cheer for team Sweden at the Olympics because of Naslund and the Sedins :?
:thup: :thup:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Hey lion24,

From your previous comments, it seems like you are an avid reader of my posts. Therefore, I wonder if you've noticed that I've brought up that issue at least four times before. But since you asked, I will answer your question.
lion24 wrote:It is Canada I am cheering for :roll: I guess everyone can cheer for whom they please but do you cheer for team Sweden at the Olympics because of Naslund and the Sedins :?
Earlier this year, Lions_Fan_4_Life asked me the same question on this thread when I commented on Giant Michal Repik being a Czech:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewto ... &start=345

I will answer your question essentially the same way I answered L4FL.

I brought up that issue on these two threads:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=8272
http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewto ... c&start=30

But I've received very few responses other than a detailed one from Toppy Vann.

I also asked Hambone a similar question on this thread:
http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewto ... 0&start=15

Anyways, to get back to your question, my answer will be YES, I will cheer for Team Sweden based on the fact that Naslund, Ohlund, and the Sedins are on the team because to me, my CITY'S team means much more to me than my COUNTRY'S team. That is especially true when it comes to winning championships as there is much more excitement when the local city team wins a championship vs. country's team.

When the Canadian Men's Olympic hockey team reached the gold medal game in the 1992 and 1994 Olympics before finally winning the gold in the 2002 Olympics along with the women, the atmosphere among hockey fans in Vancouver wasn't nearly as celebratory with excitement compared to when the Canucks made it to the Stanley Cup finals in 1982 and 1994. And Vancouver didn't really seem to be too excited anytime Canada won all those previous World Hockey Championships. And the same concept seems to apply in the junior level as well as there was much more excitement in Vancouver when the Giants won the 2006 WHL Championship and 2007 Memorial Cup compared to when Canada won all their previous World Jr. Hockey Championships. I'm sure given the choice of the Canucks winning a Stanley Cup vs. Team Canada winning Olympic Gold, the vast majority of those in Vancouver will choose the former. So it's quite obvious that a city's team means more than a national team.

That said, I see no reason why I cannot root for my city's player in international competition regardless of what country they are playing for. The Swedes have done a great service for the Canucks, so I was very happy for the Sedins and Ohlund for capturing gold medals. It was really unfortunate that Naslund couldn't take home a gold as well. I was also happy for Sami Salo for winning silver. In the 1998 Winter Olympics, no Canucks were on Team Canada while Pavel Bure was on Team Russia and Jyrki Lumme was on Team Finland so I couldn't care less that Canada didn't bring home a medal.

Now that I've answered your question, lion24, perhaps you can now answer the questions that I posed on my original two threads:

#1.
Let's say Swede Markus Naslund captains the Vancouver Canucks to the Stanley Cup in 2009. But at the same time in the 2010 Winter Olympics, he captains Team Sweden over Team Canada in the gold medal game. So what do you think about Naslund - love him or hate him? On the one hand, he helped your Vancouver Canucks win the championship, but on the other hand he helped also an opponent defeat your Team Canada for the championship.

#2.
As a real-life example, Canadian Joe Sakic was the tournament MVP in the 2002 Winter Olympics as he led Team Canada to their first gold medal in 50 years. But at the same time, he led the Colorado Avalanche over the Vancouver Canucks in the first round of the playoffs on their way to the Stanley Cup in 1996 and 2001. So Joe Sakic - love him or hate him as he helped your team win but also helped an opponent defeat your team as well.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Personally speaking,
1)My opinion of Markus Naslund will not change, even if your scenario did play out exactly as you imagined. If he does that, he will have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can lead his team to glory.

2)I have always respected Joe Sakic, even though he plays for one of the Canucks biggest division rivals. His loyalty to the Quebec/Colorado franchise is admirable. His talent is undeniable, so are his leadership skills.
lion24
Legend

I was wondering if the fact that there are a few Canadians on the Canucks if you would cheer for team Canada at the Olympics (Luongo)? Why does your loyalty go straight to Sweden? :?