Breaking news... Lions release Dickenson

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Luke
All Star

GeeBrr wrote:Smart money would probably be on the Stamps with the Huffnagel, now that think about it.

Hopefully the Bombers can grab Damon Allen
Whats wrong with Kevin Glenn? I thought he did a good job for the Bombers this season. I wouldn't be looking for a replacement yet, and if I was, it certainly wouldn't be Damon Allen. It should be a younger QB, not a 45 yrs old grizzled vet who's last best day was his MOP season of 2005.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It would be ironic if DD landed in TO and replaced Allen. Wouldn't be surprised if this happened given he would be reunited with Burratto and would give a veteran team like the Argos' a quick fix at QB.

Bishop has made strides but is still unproven against elite teams as he proved in the EF.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

GeeBrr wrote:IMO Dickenson is a picture purrfect candidate to land here in Winnipeg. He would thrive in this system, behind this line, with a back like Roberts, and a group of receivers like ours.

I can certainly say I would love to see a QB lineup of Glenn and Dickenson.
It is a possibility. Dave would have to agree to a contract of about $175,000 or maybe $200,000.

I agree he would be a good combo with Kevin Glenn. Dave has to be the backup though, not 1A or 1B, but #2.

My hunch is that Dave would go to Calgary in the blink of an eye, if they want him to backup Henry Burris.
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

i thought someone posted that the only place dave wants to play is in B.C.
i bet he retires and then takes on a position within the Lions organization.
Blitz
Team Captain

I wasn't surprised that Dickenson was released soon after the Grey Cup. I wrote a thread to that effect, realizing that the SMS for next season would begin right after the Grey Cup game.

Dickenson said his bonus didn't kick in until January but as Lowell Ullrich noted today...it would have kicked in tomorrow...the reason for the decision to release Dickenson immediately.

One thing that almost every Lionbacker agrees on is that Dave Dickenson is a bright guy. His success on the football field was a combination of his football intelligence along with his courage. Not easy to play quarterback at his size and weight and take the hits he had to take to succeed.

However, what a large number of fans are not considering, when it comes to Dickenson coaching in the future is that he's also intelligent enough to not want to coach. Assistant coaches in the CFL don't get paid very much and the hours are brutal. While Dickenson has helped out with his backup quarterbacks and also provided some input at times into the Leos offence...its an offence that. for the most part, has been pre-designed before Dickenson's time. His role has been to look for adjustments from video study and also during game action... but it's not an offence in which any quarterback has had a lot of opportunity for creativity, in terms of a lot of play design,

You also have to pay your dues as an assistant coach. Dickenson would likely have to start as a quarterbacks coach. Getting up at 3 a.m. to drive to the coaches office to begin preparations each and every day prior to training camp, thoughout training camp, and through a long season is no slice. It takes a special dedication to do that.

Dickenson will likely weight other offers. It's hard to know at this point what doors are open to Dickenson or what doors may come open. If Dickenson still wants to play, he'll keep his ears open to other offers but the likelihood is... that any offers from other CFL clubs, if they do take place, will to be for backup quarterback money. Some clubs might give him the opportunity to compete for the starter's job but they aren't going to pay him a starters salary--too risky. Dickenson would have to weigh the role offerered, combined with the money offered and his potential health risks.

While Dickenson has spent a lot of time on the sidelines injured over the past four seasons, he has never had the mindset of being a backup quarterback. He certainly didn't in 2004 or 2005 and even this season, coming back after his concussion. He made the statment, during the two week layoff before the Western Final, that our quarterback starter, in the playoffs, should be on a shorter leash.

Dickenson wanted the opportunity to play in the Western Final and it has never bothered him that another quarterback might have done the most to get us into the playoffs this season or in the past. In some ways he might have been wiser to have waited until the off-season to try to return.. He might have been wiser not to have lobbied to start the '04 Grey Cup game when he had been out most of the season. He went into a number of playoff games when he was not at his best!!

But his mindset was always that he was the starter and that he had lost his job due to injury., No matter how long he had been out due to injury he always believed he was the guy who should start in the playoffs, rusty or not, and he wanted to be the guy with the football in his hands. He always believed in himself and that he could get it done! A lot of fans did too but those expectations were too high for a rusty quarterback in the playoffs.

Dickenson has been paid over $400,000 as season for the last five years. That's two million dollars it total and Dickenson has looked after his money well, from all accounts. I just don't see him wanting to put in the brutal hours of being a pro assistant coach unless he just can't get the competitiveness of the game out of his system.

Dickenson has a university degree. Once out of playing football, whether that is this season or he is able to continue to play a little longer, I think he will look for something different than an assistant coaching position. I could see him as a guest coach but not coaching full time. Certainly there would be interest in him in that role, including back in Montana, where he is revered.

I could see Dickenson in public relations, whether that was working with a CFL pro football team (at least to begin with) or for a major company. Calgary is Dickenson's home, he loves it there, his wife works there as a pharmacist and he has two children. I'm only guessing, but I'm sure, down the road, he would love to be able to find a job in Calgary where he could be with his family full time.

I don't believe Cortez will be let go in Calgary. Cortez inherited Hufnagel's offence and understands it well. Certainly Cortez emphasized the spread offence aspect of the Hufnagel offence as did Chapdelaine but it would be a good situation for Hufnagel to inherit an offensive coordinator who would be familiar with Hufnagel's philosophy. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! It would also be the best fit for Dickenson if Calgary was interested in him as a backup.

As for Buck and Jarious it's way too early to tell. Buck played very well in his six starts last year but that was in a different offence, in a number of ways. It was hard to judge Buck's play this season because he was injured a lot while he was playing. It had to be a very frustrating season for him, with a great opportunity lost due to his injuries.

Jarious was 9-2 and while he had his struggles in the first half of a number of games he had some great second halves and certainly was exceptional at crunch time. Buck has been a better first half quarterback than Jarious but Jarious has proved he can win with the pressure on in tight games.

It will be decided next season and in their early play in the regular season. Anything that we say about who should start will be academic. One will have to win the job with their performance next season, by winning the job in training camp, and then continue to play well and stay healthy during the season.

Both Jackson and Pierce don't have a lot of experience--11 starts each. However, we've won with both in the past and when one considers their performances in the context of their very limited experience.. they've both exceeded the performances of almost all other inexperienced quarterbacks we've seen play in the CFL, both past and present.They can only get better!!

Going into next season with both is an asset because they both have great upside, they both have proven they can win games, and they both have a lot of skill and mobility.

There are always challenges having two quarterbacks who are close in ability, with some different strengths, going into a season but one will emerge as the starter. Going into this season there were some who were impatient with Jarious and wanted him traded. I believed he just needed more playing time and we would need him before the season was over. We may need Gino the same way next season...one never knows.

However, it looks like the Dickenson era is over in B.C. as a quarterback. Certainly Wally's words today about Dickenson coaching in the future indicated that the Leos wanted to move on to the next stage.

It's hard to assess Dickenson's career here in B.C. It was critical that we signed him in 2003. It was such an important indication to the fans of our Leos that they were serious about winning. Dickenson gave us a lot of big regular season wins and he lead us to a Grey Cup victory. It's hard to know what could have been if he had been healthy but the promise of winning 4 Grey Cups in a row would have been much greater. It wasn't surprising that we won the Grey Cup in the season that he was the most healthy since 2003. At the same time, if Dickenson hadn't played in the playoffs when he was rusty, we also might have had a better opportunity to have won more than one Grey Cup during the past four years. We'll never know!

However, it certainly seems, at least right now, the Dickenson era as a player is over! It's going to be an interesting training camp next season because we've always known Dickenson was the starter for the past five seasons. That changes in 2008!!
Last edited by Blitz on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Down the road, I could see Dave Dickenson following his mother into US politics. She is an elected representative in Montana. Dave D has a legendary status in Montana for his college football achievements, and his mom did not raise any stupid boys.

Our high expectations for Lions success under Dickenson were not fully met. He came in like gangbusters in 2003. But playoff success did not follow. And then injuries became an every-year occurrence.

Best wishes, Dave, in all your pursuits. One Grey Cup, a very high standard for QB play, overall team play, and franchise pride are a big part of your legacy. Thanks and good luck. :thup:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Down the road, I could see Dave Dickenson following his mother into US politics. She is an elected representative in Montana. Dave D has a legendary status in Montana for his college football achievements, and his mom did not raise any stupid boys. :thup:
Perhaps, but during a recent interview on Team 1040 he was asked that ands he said he had no intention of returning to the US. He said it was too late for that and that he was a Canadian now and had even bought the skates!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Down the road, I could see Dave Dickenson following his mother into US politics. She is an elected representative in Montana. Dave D has a legendary status in Montana for his college football achievements, and his mom did not raise any stupid boys. :thup:
Perhaps, but during a recent interview on Team 1040 he was asked that ands he said he had no intention of returning to the US. He said it was too late for that and that he was a Canadian now and had even bought the skates!
Cool.

Good for Dave. Like I said, his mama did not raise any stupid boys.
Stresd
Rookie

Blitz wrote:I agree totally David!!

As for your comments about Jarious.... stresd.. he still drove us for 10 points in the first half. Did you watch the second half??

I really hope Jarious is back next season. I really like both Buck and Jarious' upside. Both have only started 11 CFL GAMES!! They will only get better with more playing time. They've both been amazing, considering their very limited CFL playing experience!!
I did watch both halves as a matter of fact as hard as that was...Im wondering what drive you saw Jarious gnerate as I only saw him finish what others put him in a position to do..overall he was ineffective and he is too old to spend time on..Hes been here for years and does not seem to be improving. I agree DD did not play well but he was also Rusty as has been said here,,I am not saying make him a starter but I am saying cast Jarious off..In case you didnt look at the game stats

12 DICKENSON, D BC 19 14 73.7 128 6.7 19 1 5.3 0 0.0 109.1
7 JACKSON, J BC 12 3 25.0 51 4.3 22 0 0.0 2 16.7 -28.8

that is about Par play for JJ as well...hes not a starter let alone a go to second string..IMO
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

It's truly a sad day to think that DD's time with the Lions is up. It almost kinda hurts to see people's comments about him because the guy is just such a class person and player. When healthy I still think he's among the best QBs in the CFL, but those days are sadly behind him.

I wish Dave nothing but the best, it really sounds like he's officially done with the Lions, I highly doubt that he'll be back. Dave did have his good moments as a Lion though, I think that's been forgotten by some people. He came here at a time when the team was fragile and searching for an identity and he was one of the guys that helped turn this franchise around into the juggernaut it is today.

It's funny now how people think that DD won't sell tickets in BC anymore but when he first got here, he actually did sell tickets. His first season here was amazing with 36 TDs and nearly 5500 yards. He helped us win a Grey Cup helped us get to another one.

As frustrated as we all were with his performance in the Western Final last Sunday, there's been far more good moments with DD than bad ones, but eventually every good thing must come to an end.

It's a real shame that sometimes business trumps sentiment but it can be a cold business running a successful football team. Dave's time has come and gone but at least he can say that accomplished what he set out to when he returned to the CFL and regardless what some people may think of him now, nobody can take that fact away.

Thank you for everything Dave, you'll be missed and I wish you nothing but the best. Good luck with whatever you choose to do with your future!

Welcome to a new chapter in the history of the BC Lions.
David
Team Captain

Stresd wrote:
Blitz wrote:I agree totally David!!

As for your comments about Jarious.... stresd.. he still drove us for 10 points in the first half. Did you watch the second half??

I really hope Jarious is back next season. I really like both Buck and Jarious' upside. Both have only started 11 CFL GAMES!! They will only get better with more playing time. They've both been amazing, considering their very limited CFL playing experience!!
I did watch both halves as a matter of fact as hard as that was...Im wondering what drive you saw Jarious gnerate as I only saw him finish what others put him in a position to do..overall he was ineffective and he is too old to spend time on..Hes been here for years and does not seem to be improving. I agree DD did not play well but he was also Rusty as has been said here,,I am not saying make him a starter but I am saying cast Jarious off..In case you didnt look at the game stats

12 DICKENSON, D BC 19 14 73.7 128 6.7 19 1 5.3 0 0.0 109.1
7 JACKSON, J BC 12 3 25.0 51 4.3 22 0 0.0 2 16.7 -28.8

that is about Par play for JJ as well...hes not a starter let alone a go to second string..IMO
Not to sound patronizing here, but did you actually watch the whole season? Or are you judging Jarious Jackson on one game in which, quite frankly, nearly everyone on the team came out flat and out-of-synch?

I think if you're to judge him, you have to consider: his ability to win games (he was 9-2), the 6th best QB rating in the league....and only 8 ratings points behind Kerry Joseph (despite being thrust in the starter's spot part-way through the season), one of the strongest arms in the league, and a TD to pass attempt ratio this season that was among the best in the CFL.

Sure, there is room for improvement. He needs overcome his penchant for slow starts, improve his reading of defences, and trust his feet when he sees open field. But I would certainly not "cast Jarious off."

DH 8)
Last edited by David on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

No Ordinary Joe wrote:It's truly a sad day to think that DD's time with the Lions is up. It almost kinda hurts to see people's comments about him because the guy is just such a class person and player. When healthy I still think he's among the best QBs in the CFL, but those days are sadly behind him.

I wish Dave nothing but the best, it really sounds like he's officially done with the Lions, I highly doubt that he'll be back. Dave did have his good moments as a Lion though, I think that's been forgotten by some people. He came here at a time when the team was fragile and searching for an identity and he was one of the guys that helped turn this franchise around into the juggernaut it is today.

It's funny now how people think that DD won't sell tickets in BC anymore but when he first got here, he actually did sell tickets. His first season here was amazing with 36 TDs and nearly 5500 yards. He helped us win a Grey Cup helped us get to another one.

As frustrated as we all were with his performance in the Western Final last Sunday, there's been far more good moments with DD than bad ones, but eventually every good thing must come to an end.

It's a real shame that sometimes business trumps sentiment but it can be a cold business running a successful football team. Dave's time has come and gone but at least he can say that accomplished what he set out to when he returned to the CFL and regardless what some people may think of him now, nobody can take that fact away.

Thank you for everything Dave, you'll be missed and I wish you nothing but the best. Good luck with whatever you choose to do with your future!

Well said NOJ... I still remember DD's Lions debut against the Bombers in the ’03 opener. The Lions lost but he made two great throws to Simon on post routes for TDs and right then and there you knew this was going to be different and more exciting era in the Lions history.

He started in 17 of 18 games and the Lions would have finished first that year if their defence even came closing to resembling what they have today.

Wally made the right move today but it's going to take some getting use to knowing the security blanket is no longer there.
stansz
Champion

thanks for all the great memories DD...best of luck in w/e u wish to do to
pumped!!!
joesports
All Star

No Ordinary Joe wrote:It's truly a sad day to think that DD's time with the Lions is up. It almost kinda hurts to see people's comments about him because the guy is just such a class person and player. When healthy I still think he's among the best QBs in the CFL, but those days are sadly behind him.

:thup: I agree. DD's a great QB. Good luck in the future, Dave.
Zarquon
Champion

Just read a post on RF.com about Dickenson and the flight home from TO after the Grey Cup.
Beels from riderfans.com wrote:I was on the same flight with Dickenson from Toronto to Vancouver yesterday. When we landed in Vancouver some Lions fans stood up and thanked him for his play there and the whole plane gave him a standing ovation. Dave stood up, turned around and said "It's like I just landed the plane or something" and laughed and waved back. Geroy Simon and Cameron Wake were on as well.
I think this shows the level of admiration this city has for the man. :thup: