Delay Start of Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

nelson95
Legend

Terrible pregame presentation 2 years in a row
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Stui

notahomer wrote: I went to a Canucks game a few years ago and its changed there too. When I was a kid I spent a few times sitting with my legs crossed waiting for a whistle during a Canucks game so I could go water the flowers . Nowadays, go ahead, block the play. I really love the bozos who get up, start up the aisle and then turn around so they can see the play :bang:
The "audiences" have changed, and not necessarily for the better. It was a few seasons ago now, but, believe it or not, the Canucks' front office got complaints that it was "too noisy", and people couldn't hold conversations, and that if it didn't get better, they wouldn't buy any more tickets to Canucks' games. No, it's not an exaggeration.

Same with a lot of the "new" Lions' fans. A lot of them are there to socialize, and not really pay attention to the game. They get to cheer on a Lions' TD/kick block/interception, but beyond that, it's just mostly about socializing. Although at the cost to get into a Canucks' game, there are cheaper ways to socialize. Go to a CFL game, better bang for the buck. heheheh...

One thing I'd always loved about going to the Kingdome to watch the Seahawks, was that it was pretty much an entire football crowd. If someone was still standing when play started, there'd always be a shout coming from behind "down in front". And people would drop into their seats. You could always tell who _was_ football and who _wasn't_ simply by whether or not the call-out, got a dirty look or not.
nelson95
Legend

Last Seahawks game I went too the whole crowd was on their feet most of the game, Huskies ALL game
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
120dB
Legend

nothing to worry about; the way the Lions stunk the joint in you'll never see a crowd that big again until the NFL game, if it happens (if Ackles allows it to happen)
chimpy

nothing to worry about; the way the Lions stunk the joint in you'll never see a crowd that big again until the NFL game, if it happens (if Ackles allows it to happen)

I think the you will see it again i think if the lions play sask very first game of the year here in bc you will see 45,000 guarentee it, and if they meet in the WF here in bc again next year, you will see a sold out crowd this time, because of this loss, the rivilary has become much stronger, more than you think. And yes i do belive the Lions are going to be way more Consistant next year on offence and is going to make sure we do not blow it again and win the grey cup with Buck Pierce and JJ.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

i think if the lions play sask very first game of the year here in bc you will see 45,000 guarentee it
How much you wanna bet Chimp? The CFL is a niche sport in this town. A good crows would be 35K on a Friday night early in the season.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Gerry
Legend

120dB wrote:nothing to worry about; the way the Lions stunk the joint in you'll never see a crowd that big again until the NFL game, if it happens (if Ackles allows it to happen)
Hmmm....
Enough is enough.
Gerry
Legend

chimpy wrote:nothing to worry about; the way the Lions stunk the joint in you'll never see a crowd that big again until the NFL game, if it happens (if Ackles allows it to happen)

I think the you will see it again i think if the lions play sask very first game of the year here in bc you will see 45,000 guarentee it, and if they meet in the WF here in bc again next year, you will see a sold out crowd this time, because of this loss, the rivilary has become much stronger, more than you think. And yes i do belive the Lions are going to be way more Consistant next year on offence and is going to make sure we do not blow it again and win the grey cup with Buck Pierce and JJ.
How much do you pay D for the second account, 120db?
Enough is enough.
Gerry
Legend

I got stuck in the mega lineups outside. I didn't think it would take that long to get in. So I was happy that it was delayed a little. I thought it was nice that they gave such consideration to the paying customers. Anyone who whines about that needs to get a life.
Enough is enough.
David
Team Captain

Agreed. Much ado about nothing. I got inside the stadium early, or at least in plenty of time for the player introductions, but I had no problem with waiting for others to take their seat before the start of kick-off (it looks better for the TV cameras anyway when the stadium is full for kick-off....not to mention build even more drama and anticipation!).

I understand that there were a lot of football fans who missed the early ferry from Nanaimo, which meant the next sailing wouldn't put them into Horseshoe Bay until 12:30pm. I am sure they appreciated the extra time.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Stui

nelson95 wrote:Last Seahawks game I went too the whole crowd was on their feet most of the game, Huskies ALL game
Oh hell yeah! Those double-header weekends are wicked. Or at least the few I've been to over the years were. Of course, back then, the Huskies were winning and going to Rose Bowls, etc. I swear to god, it's a non-stop tailgater, the entire weekend.
TheZeppo
Starter

chimpy wrote:

What do you care? You're not renewing your tickets...right?
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:I got stuck in the mega lineups outside. I didn't think it would take that long to get in. So I was happy that it was delayed a little. I thought it was nice that they gave such consideration to the paying customers. Anyone who whines about that needs to get a life.
Yup, just like I said in my post a little ways back...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Agreed. Much ado about nothing. I got inside the stadium early, or at least in plenty of time for the player introductions, but I had no problem with waiting for others to take their seat before the start of kick-off (it looks better for the TV cameras anyway when the stadium is full for kick-off....not to mention build even more drama and anticipation!).

I understand that there were a lot of football fans who missed the early ferry from Nanaimo, which meant the next sailing wouldn't put them into Horseshoe Bay until 12:30pm. I am sure they appreciated the extra time.

DH 8)
What made it come off so bad was to get the crowd all worked up, cheering and singing during the player intros (although I don't recall they were even individually introduced, but that's another story) and the anthem, and then five minutes of... silence. It killed momentum to stop everything like that. If they felt it was necessary to move the kickoff back, then move the other stuff back as well. That dead time would have been less prominent if it was just part of the leadup to the point at which the fans started getting into the presentation, rather than an isolated segment of time on its own.

Once the rubber hits the pavement it sucks to slam on the brakes again. More frustration than drama and anticipation, especially when they basically announce, "Yeah, let's all just chill out for a few minutes, and we'll start up again later, eventually", leaving the audience confused, without explaining the delay.

It's not so much that there was a delay, but the way they handled it that made it look bad.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

In the grand scheme of things though, a little delay was the least of our problems last Sunday.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar