Keys To Beating The Riders and Heading To The Grey Cup!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The excitement of the Western Final continues to build as our Leos play the Riders at B.C. Place Stadium. The Dome will be packed, the noise level enough to almost blow the roof off, and both teams want the win badly for different reasons. For our Leos it's an opportunity to have a second Grey Cup berth and to repeat as Grey Cup champions. For the Riders it's an opporunity to put three Western Final losses to our Leos over the past four season behind them and give their long suffering fans the chance to watch their team play for all the marbles again.

Both teams are talented, disciplined, and well coached. Both teams enter the contest confident they can win. Both teams dislike each other. Our Leos led the league in points scored and the Riders led the league in touchdowns scored. Both offenses were the best offenses in the league. When the opening whistle blows this is going to be a battle of courage, determination, and composure. Let's have a closer look:

DEFENSE:

A huge key to this game is our defense. Dave Ritchie, a mastermind, needs to have a great game plan and play calling to take away the Riders major weapon in this game. A lot has been said this week about Joseph's feet and his ability to both run the football and buy time to get his receivers open. He's also an excellent passer on the run. The Riders come into this game without Dominguez, without Cates, and don't have Szarka to pick up the tough yards inside. However, they still have the ability to move the football. They have an excellent offensive line and receivers who can get it done. However, our Leos were the second best defense in the league this season, after Toronto, and they have the ability to make it a tough game for the Riders, especially if Joseph can't buy time.

The keys on defense are:

1. Take away the run/pass option of Joseph

This is a game that we need to blitz more often than usual, especially from the outside to keep Joseph in the pocket. The Riders not only like to use Joseph to run the football with option plays and shovel passes but they also like to run the football off misdirection plays from the bootleg. Joseph was a 58% passer during the regular season. Keeping him in the pocket, without the ability to step up and run and throw, and he will make mistakes. Otis Floyd will likely play that role of preventing Joseph from running inside the tackles.

With Holmes in the backfield the Riders will likely try to use Holmes more on runs off-tackle,with the ability to bounce outside, and they will also release him for quick dumps out of the backfield, especially against the blitz.

2. Key on the Riders Best Receivers

Flick and Fantuz are the Riders receivers who can do the most damage. This is a game where shutdown defensive halfback Korey Banks is invaluable and he needs a huge game. Barrin Miles needs to really step up in this game as we'll need to blitz more often. In a big game a defense has to take away the oppostion's big play weapons to win.

3. Use the Crowd

The crowd is a huge asset as we play at home in the Western Final. The Riders will have great difficulty calling audibles. We need to change our defensive looks at the line of scrimmage, creating assignment problems for the Riders without the ability to adjust.

OFFENCE

The Riders have a tough defense and their front seven are tough to run against! We've also beaten with the deep ball so I expect they will be making adjustments to take away our long pass. The Riders are a very physical defense who can clog the middle in the running attack and have a very talented defensive end in Fred Perry who is fast and strong. Here are the keys to our offence in this game.

Take What The Riders Give Us

The Riders will likely give up the intermediate pass more than usual in order to prevent the long ball and Jarious Jackson's big play ability to Geroy Simon. Jarious Jackson was only 4 percentage points behind Joseph in the regular season and actually had a better passing percentage that Joseph as he gained experience. Jarious just needs to make his reads and move the football early. It will take a couple of series to get our offence back to game speed and get our timing down. We need to take the high percentage plays that will allow us to win the field position battle early and keep the Riders offence off the field.

Distribute The Football

The Riders will be focused on Geroy and Clermont to begin with. Paris Jackson and Josh Boden will need to become weapons in our offence. This is a game where Cory Rodgers could really redeem himself with a big play. Our offence plays best when we distribute the football. If we can do that Geroy will get his opportunities as the game progresses. We can pass successfully against the Riders, especially if we can give Jarious time.

Diversify The Run

The Riders interior defense will be concentrating on stopping the inside zone run with Joe Smith. The Riders were the best defense in the league against the run this season. In this game we need to mix the run with both outside and inside running plays. Using Smart, on occasion, would add to the mix and force the Riders defense to spread out, opening the inside zone run when we come back to it.

Avoid Penalties

Our offensive line will be under a microscope like never before. Jiminez will be watched like a hawk. The zebras will be looking to make examples out there. Our offensive line will not only have to play the best game of their season but they will also have to play within a framework that anything borderline will be callled against them.

SPECIAL TEAMS

The Riders Holmes has big play ability. Carter and Hughes are both excellent downfield tackles for the Riders and have to be given serious attention.

However, this is an area that we have the edge going into this game. Ian Smart is the best returner in the league. McCallum was a tremendous pressure kicker in last year's playoffs. A couple of big plays on special teams could be a huge factor in a victory for our Leos.

TURNOVERS

Successful teams usually are at the top of the turnover battle. Our Leos and the Riders finished first and second in the league in takeaways this season. Turnovers could be huge in this game, especially between two teams who are closely matched.

WRAP

A one game, sudden death match will determine which team goes to the Grey Cup game in Toronto next week. It's been a great season for our Leos, winning 14 games. We overcame tremendous adversity, dealt with two of our quarterbacks going down with injury, and went 9-2 with a quarterback in Jarious Jackson, who began the season as our third string quarterback. Geroy Simon, after a miserable start, wrapped up the season with huge games and ended up leading the league in reception yardage.

Joe Smith was the MOP of the league, without question...no matter what the voters did with their ballots and he was a treat to watch. We won some huge games in crunch time with exciting heroics. Our coaching staff dealt with the unexpected departure of The Chapo in the off-season and new offensive co-coordinators Kruck and Dorazio's offence led the league in most points in the league...something we never did under Chapdelaine. Our offensive line dealt with being under attack all season and persevered through it all, creating a rushing game we hadn't seen in many seasons in B.C. while also protecting our quarterbacks. We went from being the offense in the league who gave up the most sacks two seasons in a row to leading the league in giving up the least sacks until the final game of the season when Dickenson was sacked five times.

This was a balanced, exciting offence to watch. They had the ability to grind an opposition team down or win with the big play!!

On defense we also dealt with tremendous adversity. We dealt with injuries to all our linebackers with Otis Floyd playing most of the season injured, Glatt also missed games, and Jamal Johnson missed a lot of games. Marsh went down early and we played nine games without our best corner, Banks also got hurt and yet we still made it tough on oppostion offenses. Cameron Wake had an incredible season, leading the league in sacks, and Brent Johnson finished fourth. Ty Williams was a monster in the second half of the year, and Ryan Phillips, back at the inside halfback spot that he never should have been moved from, led the league in interceptions. Our defense gave up the second least points in the league, after Toronto, and came up big.... every time we needed them to!!

On special teams Ian Smart stepped up to become the best returner in the league in his first full season and also was an asset on offence. McCallum was among the league leaders in field goal percentage and Jamal Johnson and Ricky Foley became outstanding special teams players. Craiggs, Pottinger, and Crawford also made very positive contributions on special teams and Barrin Miles blocked two punts to lead the league in that department.

This was a season that we faced unexpected adversity and overcame to have a great season. We should all feel very proud of this Leos team as they enter the Dome, tomorrow, led by Carl Kidd, to play the Western Final!!
Last edited by Blitz on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Vern Halen
Champion

One of the best pre-game summaries I've ever read - well thought out by an obviously informed and knowledgeable football person.

One small tiny thing - Since Armstead got traded, Kalihl Hill has been our second returner with Holmes as the primary KR/PR.

My hat's off to you - well done! :rockin:
stansz
Champion

thanks blitz...awesome post as always

like ive said in the other thread....best pre and post game are written by you....thanks
pumped!!!
Blitz
Team Captain

Thanks!!

Looks like Czarka is going to play and Cates is on the 46 man roster. Cates asked for a second opinion on his hairline fracture of his foot after the Riders cleared him to play.

The Riders will have one hour before game time to declare whether they will dress Cates for the game. D.J. Flick is fine to go!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Nobody keeps things in as potent and immediate a perspective as you Blitz!

I think I can speak for most Lionbackers in saying that it has been a pleasure to look forward to your pre-game, and post-game analysis each week, and all season long and we thank you. :thup: :thup: :thup:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Dan Russell
Legend

"You hit this one out of the park" again Blitz or in football terms, "You returned it for a touchdown."
Blitz
Team Captain

Hey Dan and Pigskin

It's looking more and more than the Riders are going to freeze up Cates and Flick. Holmes has a sore shoulder as well.

An interesting statistic is that the Riders held Joe Smith to an average of 69 yards a game this season so the Riders are tough to run against.

The one thing we don't want to get into is second and long. The Riders will often blitz in that situation. We may have to pass early to set up the run but we can't just pound the football oin fiirst down if it's not there.

On defense, as good as Wake, Hunt, Williams, and Brent Johnson are..the Riders have an excellent offensive line and they also have a very mobile quarterback in Joseph to make their job even easier. Ritchie is going to mix it up for sure, with blitzes and sometimes with a three man rush with Floyd spying. On certain occasions he'll be wanting to force Joseph to go to his secondary receivers.

The worry that Ritchie will have, is that if he blitzes and Joseph escapes, we could be in a heap of trouble. However, I also believe you have to go after it if you want to win a championship..,,you just have to be smart about it so our blitzes, when we go to them, have to be disciplined!!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great read Blitz... I was looking forward to your WF preview and you didn't disappoint.

Now... did I read correctly earlier in the week where you mentioned if you had to put money down on this game it would be on the Riders?
I know Jim Mullin has picked Sask too.

Would like to know what concerns you have to lean that way.

If the Riders didn't have so many key players either out or playing hurt I would be going that way too. Simply the law of average says they are due (look back at the Lions-Bombers WF clashes in the 80s under the dome and the Lions were 2-1). I also don't think the Lions ended the season playing at the same level where they were at a year ago (especially on defence).
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I see two other factors that deserve mention.

Rust. The Lions haven't look sharp out of the gate at most points this season. Having had an extra week of down time will probably not do their sense of timing any favours. If they do happen to come out firing on all cylinders, then that will limit the Riders chance to take the crowd out of the game. If not, then the Riders may have some success early which will help them in the crowd noise department.

Rider injuries. Blitz has already touched on them somewhat but this has to stand in our favour as the game progresses. Even though Czarka, Grant and Flick are there. Czarka has been out a while, Grant has a sore shoulder which is going to take a pounding and Flick may be nursing a sore knee. I'm not sure the Riders would be wise to take a chance on Cates. He may be a deficit in the long term if he is that touch and go to play. A foot injury for an RB is gonna limit him and his conditioning is likely to be off as well. I guess we'll see if Kent Austin is playing games with us on some of these injuries tomorrow.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Dan Russell
Legend

Rust. The Lions haven't look sharp out of the gate at most points this season. Having had an extra week of down time will probably not do their sense of timing any favours. If they do happen to come out firing on all cylinders, then that will limit the Riders chance to take the crowd out of the game. If not, then the Riders may have some success early which will help them in the crowd noise department.
Rust is usually present in the 2 week layoff so if BC doesn't get off the ground then hopefully Saskatchewan can stay grounded also so the crowd won't be out of the game. If Saskatchewan were to score a TD early.
Blitz
Team Captain

Sammy Greene wrote:
Great read Blitz... I was looking forward to your WF preview and you didn't disappoint.

Now... did I read correctly earlier in the week where you mentioned if you had to put money down on this game it would be on the Riders?

If the Riders didn't have so many key players either out or playing hurt I would be going that way too. Simply the law of average says they are due (look back at the Lions-Bombers WF clashes in the 80s under the dome and the Lions were 2-1). I also don't think the Lions ended the season playing at the same level where they were at a year ago (especially on defence).
I think earlier in the week my anxiety about the game was very prevalent. I hate two week layoffs. A team can come out flat, offensive timing can be off, players aren't up to game speed right away. I don't like the fact that we have three quarterbacks ready to play, in some ways, because we might move to the backup too quickly. I worry that Jarious might not play as well because he'll feel he's on too short of a leash and that might effect the way he plays.

I also worry about the attention the referees will give to our offensive line and that a penalty or two could erase some big plays.

I worry that there will be some pressure to go to Dickenson too early,., if Jarious struggles early and it's harder for an offence to get untracked after a two week layoff. I have no problem bringing Dickenson into this game but he I really believe, if we do need to go to him it has to be for no more than a quarter and a half at most, because he really hasn't played enough this season to be in the kind of mental/physical game shape to play longer than that.

Saskatchewan is also hungry, motivated, and much more disciplined that last season...they are a much better team this year.

However, by Friday those anxieties were disappating and I had our Leos winning by 7 points. I really believe, if we can minimize Joseph's run/pass option game we have a great chance. As Dan Russell astutely said...rust is a worry. Our defense has to shut down the Riders offence early and our offence needs to move the football early. If we can do that for the first two or three series I like our chances. If we allow the Riders to get a big early jump in this game... I don't like our chances as much.

However, while very excited and nervous as well, because I would love to see this team, get to the Grey Cup game even more than last season.

I have a number of reasons for that and they include:

1. It's so much tougher to repeat that it it is to win. It's something special we've never done before in Leos history. I'd love to see us have that chance.

2. We overcame a ton of adversity this season, much more than last year, and so I really believe we are so deserving of that Grey Cup opportunity.

3. Kruck and Dorazio took some abuse early and had to put up with some whining about the Chap leaving. I was thrilled The Chap left and I really liked Kruck/Dorazio's offensive philosphy. We led the league in points scored this season, were the lowest in sacks given up until the last regular game of the season, and it was a treat to watch an offence that could run and pass. I'd love for them to be able to win a Grey Cup in their first season as co-coordinators. They haven't received the accolades they deserve.

4. I'd love to see Jarious Jackson be able to take us into the Grey Cup game as our starter. He perservered, was very patient, a great team guy, and he's been an almost magical story. I'd love to see him be able to do it. The fact is, we wouldn't be here, if he hadn't done some special things out there and exceeded most people's expectations. I always believed in him but I also realize I also pull for the underdog and he's been that and more.

5. This could be Ritchie's last season with us and I love the old gruff guy with a huge heart as our defensive coordinator. I was thrilled when we got him and have loved his style of defense overall since he got here, His defense really won us the Grey Cup last season and I would love to see his defense play well for him tomorrow and watch Ritchie coaching in Toronto next week.

6. Watching our offensive line and Joe Smith run the football has been a treat this season. I've always believed in the running game as an integral part of an offence and I've really enjoyed watching us run the football as well as we have. Sometimes it's been very special to watch. Our offensive line have not been angels but they have been very unfairly treated this season and it's taken away some of the shine from their accomplishments. I want to see their efforts rewarded.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the input, Blitz. Great insight as always.

The Riders have been a strong team for years, but underachieved in the Shivers/Barrett regime. Tillman and Austin have them performing to their abilities.

With Scott Schultz in the middle they are very tough to run on. Adams is filling in well for the departed Nate Davis. Fred Perry gets great pressure on the QB.

It will be a head-knocking game, getting our running game going, but I think we can do it. Our O Line is the best in the league, and Joe Smith is the best power runner in the league. I wonder if the change of pace of Ian Smart could be effective running vs the Riders.

I think we can have an effective passing game vs the Riders. Our O Line has to give Jarious good protection. Jarious can do some of the scrambling that Joseph is so renowned for. Jarious could have an excellent game if he settles into it.

I hope Otis Floyd is truly healthy. He will need to be at his quickest to spy on Joseph. This is one game where we should try to minimize the effectiveness of the star player of the opposing team. Do our best to make the other Riders try to beat us. Make Kerry Joseph pay every time he has the ball in his hands, legally.

Keys to the game for the Lions:

1 Don't let their best player beat you. Get the ball out of Joseph's hands. Make him pay when he has it in his hands.

And the next 2 are Jimmy Johnson's mantra.

2 You have to make plays. (O, D and ST)

3 You must protect the ball.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Sammy Greene wrote:

I think earlier in the week my anxiety about the game was very prevalent. I hate two week layoffs. A team can come out flat, offensive timing can be off, players aren't up to game speed right away. I don't like the fact that we have three quarterbacks ready to play, in some ways, because we might move to the backup too quickly. I worry that Jarious might not play as well because he'll feel he's on too short of a leash and that might effect the way he plays.

I also worry about the attention the referees will give to our offensive line and that a penalty or two could erase some big plays.

I worry that there will be some pressure to go to Dickenson too early,., if Jarious struggles early and it's harder for an offence to get untracked after a two week layoff. I have no problem bringing Dickenson into this game but he I really believe, if we do need to go to him it has to be for no more than a quarter and a half at most, because he really hasn't played enough this season to be in the kind of mental/physical game shape to play longer than that.

Saskatchewan is also hungry, motivated, and much more disciplined that last season...they are a much better team this year.

However, by Friday those anxieties were disappating and I had our Leos winning by 7 points. I really believe, if we can minimize Joseph's run/pass option game we have a great chance. As Dan Russell astutely said...rust is a worry. Our defense has to shut down the Riders offence early and our offence needs to move the football early. If we can do that for the first two or three series I like our chances. If we allow the Riders to get a big early jump in this game... I don't like our chances as much.

However, while very excited and nervous as well, because I would love to see this team, get to the Grey Cup game even more than last season.

I have a number of reasons for that and they include:

1. It's so much tougher to repeat that it it is to win. It's something special we've never done before in Leos history. I'd love to see us have that chance.

2. We overcame a ton of adversity this season, much more than last year, and so I really believe we are so deserving of that Grey Cup opportunity.

3. Kruck and Dorazio took some abuse early and had to put up with some whining about the Chap leaving. I was thrilled The Chap left and I really liked Kruck/Dorazio's offensive philosphy. We led the league in points scored this season, were the lowest in sacks given up until the last regular game of the season, and it was a treat to watch an offence that could run and pass. I'd love for them to be able to win a Grey Cup in their first season as co-coordinators. They haven't received the accolades they deserve.

4. I'd love to see Jarious Jackson be able to take us into the Grey Cup game as our starter. He perservered, was very patient, a great team guy, and he's been an almost magical story. I'd love to see him be able to do it. The fact is, we wouldn't be here, if he hadn't done some special things out there and exceeded most people's expectations. I always believed in him but I also realize I also pull for the underdog and he's been that and more.

5. This could be Ritchie's last season with us and I love the old gruff guy with a huge heart as our defensive coordinator. I was thrilled when we got him and have loved his style of defense overall since he got here, His defense really won us the Grey Cup last season and I would love to see his defense play well for him tomorrow and watch Ritchie coaching in Toronto next week.

6. Watching our offensive line and Joe Smith run the football has been a treat this season. I've always believed in the running game as an integral part of an offence and I've really enjoyed watching us run the football as well as we have. Sometimes it's been very special to watch. Our offensive line have not been angels but they have been very unfairly treated this season and it's taken away some of the shine from their accomplishments. I want to see their efforts rewarded.
For all these things you have mentioned that give us character and much more than this, it is all the more reason to go out there and show Saskatchewan and the rest of the CFL it was no mistake why we exceeded our all time team record, and in a season we really could have floundered and bent to complacency we instead rose to the occasion.

Today's game we will have the chance to show the league why we are the most exception football team of the decade
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

Rust is always a worry as Dan Russell notes but our Leos are 8-1 after bye weeks under Wally...and that's a good sign coming into this game following the layoff. Hopefully we'll have fresh legs!

I'm really very interested to see how Ritchie schemes it up today Pigskin! I think he;ss start by dropping 8 into pass coverage and spy with Floyd. An interesting stat is Brent Johnson has never had a sack in the playoffs. Today would be a good day to get his first!!
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Great job, Blitz! I really wish that I had the time this week to sit down here and post for an extended period of time because I would love to discuss the points you've raised more in depth. Great job as usual, looking forward to hearing your post-game thoughts after a huge Lions victory! :cr: