WF: So where will the game be won or lost?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Luke
All Star

Gforce in Edmonton wrote:
Luke wrote:In the trenches. Not having Jimenez could be a factor in that respect, depending on how the Leos choose to fill his spot. Either by inserting Amariah Farrow, or moving Sherko to tackle, and shifting Dean Valli into Sherko's spot. Apparently, the latter will be the Lions choice.

Also, the noise will be a factor to. I expect Joseph to deal with the noise much better this time, but we'll see what happens.
What is your choice based on the bolded part?

Austin says he has some special tactics to deal with the noise, not sure what they are, he wouldn't say obviously......He said he learned them from a game in the Big O apparently......There's silent counts but I have never coached professionally obviously so I don't know what the other options are.....
I think they should move Sherko over, and insert Valli into Sherko's spot at RG. I don't like the idea of a rookie, who's played two games in two years stepping into a spot like that in a playoff game. I think they're asking to get roasted if that happens.

Then again, I still have nightmares from watching Marques McFadden play RT in the West Final in '04, and like Sherko, he was a guard, and had no experience playing the tackle position. Sherko has actually played tackle before, so at least he won't be completely lost, but it will be an adjustment.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Jer Bear wrote:I know the cliche is to say the game is won and lost in the trenches and I agree with that statement 99% of the time, but not this time. I honestly think this game comes down to the DB's and the Receivers, whoever wins that battle will win the game. Also, I think Dickenson will be starting the game, but I don't think Wally will be scared to put in Jackson if Dave struggles (and that doesn't happen to often)
OMG!! I'm actually gonna agree with Jer Bear on this one.

I think he is bang on. With the powerhouse of receivers BOTH teams bring to this game, it is going to be won by the DB's. If recveivers can get open, the QB's will be given the time or have the ability to get them the ball. Both Jackson and Joseph have shown they can take the hit and are not afraid to stand in the pocket to deliver the right ball. Joseph's experience gives him the edge here over Jackson (oh yeah, as has been pointed out Jackson is the starter for the Lions, Jer Bear).

I think the real difference maker in this game will be how the 4th, 5th and even 6th receivers do in this game. But no doubt about it, the defensive secondary is gonna determine this one for sure.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Reider
Starter

I really think the Riders are going to have to shut down Geroy to be successfull. It seems like that guy kills us one way or another. Battle of the trenches, crowd noise etc.. will definitely be factors as well. But I think the Riders will have to have an exceptional day on defense to have a chance.
Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

LFITQ wrote:
Jer Bear wrote:I know the cliche is to say the game is won and lost in the trenches and I agree with that statement 99% of the time, but not this time. I honestly think this game comes down to the DB's and the Receivers, whoever wins that battle will win the game. Also, I think Dickenson will be starting the game, but I don't think Wally will be scared to put in Jackson if Dave struggles (and that doesn't happen to often)
OMG!! I'm actually gonna agree with Jer Bear on this one.

I think he is bang on. With the powerhouse of receivers BOTH teams bring to this game, it is going to be won by the DB's. If recveivers can get open, the QB's will be given the time or have the ability to get them the ball. Both Jackson and Joseph have shown they can take the hit and are not afraid to stand in the pocket to deliver the right ball. Joseph's experience gives him the edge here over Jackson (oh yeah, as has been pointed out Jackson is the starter for the Lions, Jer Bear).

I think the real difference maker in this game will be how the 4th, 5th and even 6th receivers do in this game. But no doubt about it, the defensive secondary is gonna determine this one for sure.
Exactly why i think the game will come down to who has a better day, Fantuz or Clermont. That's my prediction.....
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Reider wrote:I really think the Riders are going to have to shut down Geroy to be successfull. It seems like that guy kills us one way or another. Battle of the trenches, crowd noise etc.. will definitely be factors as well. But I think the Riders will have to have an exceptional day on defense to have a chance.
Riders are very capable of that; but as GForce says, that could (or maybe not) leave Clermont is single or man to man over the middle. I expect Simon to be very well covered for most of the game. Lions will need a big game from Paris Jackson and/or Josh Boden, as well as Clermont.

On the other side of things, Flick and Fantuz will be the primary foci of the Lions secondary, but that could leave say...Grant or Murphy in single or man to man.

Defence rules the day, as you say.
Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

Between the 2 teams:

QB's: Edge KJ for his experience

Receivers: TIED, maybe a slight edge simply because you guys have better 4,5, and 6th receivers. Geroy hasn't been the Geroy of old for you guys.

Running game: Edge BC, Rider running game isn't 100 percent healthy...

Oline: Tied, there isn't much to choose between both Olines, both have award winning lineman.

Dline: Tied, again a tough call, maybe even a very very slight edge to BC because both lines are good but BC has put up better numbers.

Secondary: Edge BC, more experienced.

Special teams: Edge BC, McCallum is simply a more experienced kicker, and our special team covering hasn't been great against you guys.

Anyone disagree???
Reider
Starter

Solar Max wrote:
Reider wrote:I really think the Riders are going to have to shut down Geroy to be successfull. It seems like that guy kills us one way or another. Battle of the trenches, crowd noise etc.. will definitely be factors as well. But I think the Riders will have to have an exceptional day on defense to have a chance.
Riders are very capable of that; but as GForce says, that could (or maybe not) leave Clermont is single or man to man over the middle. I expect Simon to be very well covered for most of the game. Lions will need a big game from Paris Jackson and/or Josh Boden, as well as Clermont.

On the other side of things, Flick and Fantuz will be the primary foci of the Lions secondary, but that could leave say...Grant or Murphy in single or man to man.

Defence rules the day, as you say.
Hi Solar. You must be heart broken that the Stampeders lost to our lowly Riders. lol

At least we agree on something (the defense).
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Hi Reider. Nice try. :beer:
Reider
Starter

Gforce in Edmonton wrote:Between the 2 teams:

Depends who you compare him to I guess. Dickenson has been $$$ for the Lions in the past.

Receivers: TIED, maybe a slight edge simply because you guys have better 4,5, and 6th receivers. Geroy hasn't been the Geroy of old for you guys.
AREE Youuuu serious?????? Did you see their last game vs. Calgary???
You do know that Geroy won the receiving title this year, right???
Agreed, no argument here.
Oline: Tied, there isn't much to choose between both Olines, both have award winning lineman.

Dline: Tied, again a tough call, maybe even a very very slight edge to BC because both lines are good but BC has put up better numbers.
It should be a good battle on Sunday for sure. I can't wait to see the battle in the trenches.
Agreed.
Special teams: Edge BC, McCallum is simply a more experienced kicker, and our special team covering hasn't been great against you guys.
Generally, I agree, but I guess we'll see how things go on Sunday.
Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

Reider wrote:
Gforce in Edmonton wrote:Between the 2 teams:

Depends who you compare him to I guess. Dickenson has been $$$ for the Lions in the past.

AREE Youuuu serious?????? Did you see their last game vs. Calgary???
You do know that Geroy won the receiving title this year, right???
Agreed, no argument here.

It should be a good battle on Sunday for sure. I can't wait to see the battle in the trenches.
Agreed.
Generally, I agree, but I guess we'll see how things go on Sunday.

Jarius Jackson is starting for BC I believe.....

As far as Simon, I mean he hasn't been consistenly dominant this year as he has been in the past, but Simon was good down the stretch.......Outside of Flick/Simon, Clermont/Fantuz, it was a tough call who had the edge on receivers.....
Last edited by Gforce in Edmonton on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarquon
Champion

To win the Riders offense will have to step up this Sunday as they will not have the luxury of playing one of the worst D's in the CFL. The Riders seemed to have a tough time in the red zone against a weak Calgary team and now will be facing a very good and healthy BC defense.

As for the Lions they will have to do a much better job on offense than what Burris and the Stampeders were able to do. This starts with a balanced attack and this involves Joe Smith having a good game. I'm not worried about our O Line unless we have a mid game injury. Calgary was able to expose the Rider Secondary in that game especially in the second half and we will need to do the same.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
The_Pauser
Legend

Simon was GREAT down the stretch. Is this the Gforce who acted like a knowitall on riderfans.com? Only to come over here and act like Geroy Simon is not a great receiver? Geroy, for that horrible start he had, absolutely dominated the final few weeks to overtake several receivers for top spot in the league.
Roar you Lions roar!
Reider
Starter

Geroy hasn't gone anywhere man!! I think his lack of yards in the first half of the season has less to do with his ability and more to do with other factors. He roasted Calgary for over 200 yards I think.. and came out of the game early.. he could have stayed in and ran his league lead up even more. You remember his game winning TD against us this year?

Do not under-estimate Geroy, he's still the man!
The_Pauser
Legend

Reider wrote:Geroy hasn't gone anywhere man!! I think his lack of yards in the first half of the season has less to do with his ability and more to do with other factors. He roasted Calgary for over 200 yards I think.. and came out of the game early.. he could have stayed in and ran his league lead up even more. You remember his game winning TD against us this year?

Do not under-estimate Geroy, he's still the man!
Someone who "gets" it.

If Geroy isn't dominating, then JC82 will. And if he isn't, then Air Paris will.
Roar you Lions roar!
Zarquon
Champion

Gforce in Edmonton wrote:
As far as Simon, I mean he hasn't been consistenly dominant this year as he has been in the past, but Simon was good down the stretch.......Outside of Flick/Simon, Clermont/Fantuz, it was a tough call who had the edge on receivers.....
Now that Simon is healthy he has been dominant the last several weeks. I would say the Lions have much more depth but Flick and Fantuz do compare well to Simon and Clermont just each of the Lion counterparts are slightly better. The real difference is when you look at the other talent on the BC team, Paris and Rogers. One name not mentioned is Holmes he can be a force with the screens coming out of the back field, but our Linebackers should be able to step up an limit the gains.