Video Replay in Bombers/Stamps game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Glen Johnson totally butchered another video replay call in Winnipeg tonight......this time by NOT reversing a Milt Stegall TD that was OBVIOUSLY incomplete.

Over on 13thman, ArgoDave called it before the ruling ........actually ArgoDave said very early in the game that Johnson was a "Bomber homer ref" and we would probably see some bogus calls in Winnipeg's favor........he was bang on the money.

Wasn't Johnson the ref on the AJIII punt fumble reversal in the Lions game?
Lloyd
hwgill
Legend

I thought it was tough to see until after the commercial when TSN enhanced the image.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

hwgill wrote:I thought it was tough to see until after the commercial when TSN enhanced the image.
Really?.....the very first replay shown, with stop action, stopped it with the ball clearly sitting on the goal line under Stegall........you could hear someone in the studio background say "the ball hit the ground" as the morons were babbling about Stegall's feet being over the line and whether the challenge was about whether he got into the endzone or not.
Lloyd
rb
Champion

Yes, the camera from the far end zone clearly showed, without enhancement, that the ball hit the ground. I mean, how obvious does it have to be to Johnson to be "conclusive"??

Imagine the furor when one of these refs blows the replay call late in a close playoff game.

It was Jake Ireland who ruled that Albert Johnson didn't touch the punt.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Incompletion. Unbelievably obvious.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Didn't see it but was listening on Sirius which picked up the Bomber feed and after the second angle Bob Irving and the colour guy both said it wasn't a catch. Bob was really surprised it wasn't overturned.

This Johnson guy is getting quite the reputation. Hopefully he doesn't ref any Lions games. Johnson, out, Jake out, Proulx out ... running out of refs here.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

They all seem to have problems, LFITQ. Proulx was pretty good last year, now all of a sudden, he can't count for some reason.

The one tonight was pretty blatantly dropped, though. Maybe the player who dropped it made the difference in Glenn's mind.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bring back Paul Dojack
Dan Russell
Legend

Apparently the Bombers are supposed to win this year as they are getting all the calls. :bang: Bud Steen seems to be the best Ref.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Dan Russell wrote:Bud Steen seems to be the best Ref.
Sad state of affairs when that's the case.

But you should check out some of the early 90s games on ESPN Classic. He is completely rocking a mullet.
rb
Champion

And tonight, what should've been an obvious reversal by Ireland on the Boden "fumble" is again ruled "inconclusive." This is just getting ridiculous. Not much point having a replay system if these buffoons can't even get the obvious ones right.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

rb wrote:And tonight, what should've been an obvious reversal by Ireland on the Boden "fumble" is again ruled "inconclusive." This is just getting ridiculous. Not much point having a replay system if these buffoons can't even get the obvious ones right.
Just a pathetic display of a cowardly cop-out. The camera angle was so conclusive as to virtually shout out "The call on the field is reversed".
Sad. Really really sad.
Ravi
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Bring back Paul Dojack
How about Bill Dell and Don Barker?
MacNews
Team Captain

What happened to all the extra dough the CFL has spent on officiating the past couple of years? :?
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Dan Russell wrote:Apparently the Bombers are supposed to win this year as they are getting all the calls. :bang: Bud Steen seems to be the best Ref.
That's just a foolish statement. We've had all sorts of calls go against us.

However, it appeared that Stegall didn't make the TD catch in this instance. In live play, I thought he dropped it. In review it looked like he dropped it.

The problem with many of these calls is the " conclusive " element requirement. It seems if there is any doubt, the call is not overturned. I'm going to watch the game again today.

The league needs to clean up video review for 2008. More importantly, they need to determine what is a catch and what is not a catch. In particular what is a TD.

If a RB crosses the goal line it's a TD whether he immediately loses the ball or not. I think there should be the same determination for receivers if they deem a " catch " and not whether he loses it being smacked to the ground.