Is Saskatchewan a tougher WF opponent now than in the past?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

120dB
Legend

Are the Riders going to be a tougher WF opponent this year than in the previous two WFs? In what areas do you think they're stronger, or possibly weaker?

I hate to say it but this is one year I wouldn't be surprised if they knock us off

How about in the coaching dept?

This may be the year we will have to ban the gopher from BC Place
Rammer
Team Captain

If they make it that far, yes.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Considering no team scares the bejeebers out of me in BC Place more than the Riders and the only visiting team with a winning record in BC Place since Wally arrived is the Riders I'd have to say no. Lest we forget it took the good fortunes of a badly shanked chip shot Paul McCallum FG attempt in 2004 to bail BC out then. They scared me in the last two WF visits and they'll scare me again. If anything they may scare me less now because their own expectations will be much higher placing more pressure on themselves than in the past.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Reider
Starter

Rammer wrote:If they make it that far, yes.
You got it Rammer..

Overall, they will be a bit stronger, but they still need to get by Calgary first so there's no point in worrying about the Riders until you know that they'll be in the WDF.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What does Chimpy thinks ?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Considering no team scares the bejeebers out of me in BC Place more than the Riders and the only visiting team with a winning record in BC Place since Wally arrived is the Riders I'd have to say no. Lest we forget it took the good fortunes of a badly shanked chip shot Paul McCallum FG attempt in 2004 to bail BC out then. They scared me in the last two WF visits and they'll scare me again. If anything they may scare me less now because their own expectations will be much higher placing more pressure on themselves than in the past.
I don't necessarily disagree with the notion of Ssk as a formidable WF opponent this year (in fact among 04,06,07 it's already the best of the three on wins alone), but you seem to imply we would have lost had PM converted that attempt -- but we could have possibly driven for a TD on our subsequent series instead of kicking almost immediately as Buono chose to do. At any rate the 3pts from DO'M would have at least tied the game for another go-round of shootout OT.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
LFITQ
Team Captain

I am really hoping that if we are hosting the WDF, the Riders and Stamps beat the living tar out of each other in the semi.

The Riders scare me the most, the stamps, I'm not so worried about their defense but Burris is actually connecting with receivers so they make me nervous with the way our secondary has given up the soft underbelly in recent games. But the Riders are a more complete package so they are a more worrisome opponent.

Regardless, neither team should be taken lightly. It's one game for all the marbles and as we all know - on any given Sunday ....
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Dan Russell
Legend

For the Roughriders this year they are rated very high for the first time in an long while. When they lock up their home playoff game,(Foregone conclusion) it will be interesting to see if they get overwhelmed by hosting that game. Also we have to wait to see Kerry Joesph perform great in the playoffs. With Dominguez gone for the year their go to guy is gone and will have to rely on Fantuz and Flick. IMO the defence is highly overated that really only includes Fred Perry and the soft secondary.

As for Calgary, who has the hottest QB right now is offensively on an roll. However as good as the offence is, the defence is the exact polar opposite. So in the playoffs, Burris will need to amount 40 points or so to compensate for that.

So the better team right now is the Saskatchewan Roughriders due to Calgary's weak defence.
Zarquon
Champion

I'm not worried about either opponent we could face. Had it not been for a couple of injuries (Buck's in that tied game in Calgary and Jarius having his first ever CFL start in the Saskatchewan game) I think the Lions sweep both teams this year.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

it will be interesting to see if they get overwhelmed by hosting that game.
This cant be underestimated. Yes they have been in the play offs and WDF's the last couple of years, but the pressure for that elusive home game and how much wood it has caused most rudder fans is immense.

Of course the home crowd could have a huge positive impact. But it could also cause some undo pressure.

The question is how will they respond? Will they feed off that energy or shoot their wad even before they get the prom dress off?
Last edited by Yank In BC on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Rammer
Team Captain

Yank In BC wrote:
it will be interesting to see if they get overwhelmed by hosting that game.
This cant be underestimated. Yes they have been in the play offs and WDF's the last couple of years, but the pressure for that elusive home game and how much wood it has caused most rudder fans is immense.

Of course the home crowd could have a huge positive impact. But it could also cause some undo pressure.

The question is how will they respond? Will they feed of that energy or shoot their wad even before they get the prom dress off?
You have to think that the buildup will be even more than their 12 year home playoff date absence in 1988, and that didn't turn out very well for them as IR. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
QB#9
Starter

Hambone wrote:They scared me in the last two WF visits and they'll scare me again.
They didn't scare me in last year's western final. If anything, the thirteenth man scared Joseph.
LFITQ
Team Captain

I'm not so sure the "home playoff" game does apply that much more presure to the players.

Realistically,many of the players have played in "home" playoff games before. The coaches have been involved in "home" playoff games before. The only ones that haven't been involved are the fans themselves.

Because it's not likethe entire team has been there for 12 since the lst home playoff date, it's not like it has been any more pressure to them and I don't htink it will affect their playing of the game whatsoever. Many of the players have been in a pressure cooker before, and I don't think this one ranks that high up there for them.

The only thing that may affect the players is getting caught up in the hype and hoopla of a playoff game in Regina. If they get distracted by the partying that I bet could reach Grey Cup proportions, then they will have problems. But otherwise, I expect many will approach it as just another playoff game that many of them have been involved in before.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Dan Russell
Legend

If they make it to the western final, Kerry Joesph should struggle with the noise again like last year.
wildthing
All Star

Dan Russell wrote:If they make it to the western final, Kerry Joesph should struggle with the noise again like last year.
much like the riders assumed that BC would struggle at taylor field as they have in the past? I suspect it will be loud but this time expect the Riders to be better prepared. I look forward to a great game and hope by some miracle wins somewhere in the next 3 gaes that BC has to come to Mosaic for the WDF. :cr: