Winnipeg clock!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

hutch
Champion

How can their play clock be broken for TWO weeks now? That is pathetic, this IS a professional league.

On another note, it's funny how some bomber fans on their site say that Lions fans never show up to our home games and couldn't care less about the Lions......but was it just me or did anyone else think that Canad Inns looked half empty on Friday night?
prairielion
Starter

It sure didn't look like a sell out. The weather may have been a factor in that but whatever. As far as the 20 second clock not working, what a joke. If this was highschool I could forgive that but c'mon Winnipeg, join the CFL. That is a very important part of the game. :no:
Still in Riderville, hating the Riders!
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

yeah
2012 Season Ticket Holder
David
Team Captain

hutch wrote:On another note, it's funny how some bomber fans on their site say that Lions fans never show up to our home games and couldn't care less about the Lions....
Is that so? Well, until other teams can average more than 31,550 per game they can bite me. The only fans that can ridicule our attendance and commitment to the CFL game right now is Edmonton's. Do I think the our attendance should be higher for a team this good? You bet. But we don't have the geographical rival 'home-and-home' match-up most other teams enjoy to boost their gate, we played 5 home games this year prior to Labour Day when it's a challenge to get casual fans inside the dome, virtually every home game thus far has been devoid of a storyline, huge build-up, or marquee match-up, and we've been playing most of the year without our star quarterback.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

David wrote:
hutch wrote:On another note, it's funny how some bomber fans on their site say that Lions fans never show up to our home games and couldn't care less about the Lions....
Is that so? Well, until other teams can average more than 31,550 per game they can bite me. The only fans that can ridicule our attendance and commitment to the CFL game right now is Edmonton's. Do I think the our attendance should be higher for a team this good? You bet. But we don't have the geographical rival 'home-and-home' match-up most other teams enjoy to boost their gate, we played 5 home games this year prior to Labour Day when it's a challenge to get casual fans inside the dome, virtually every home game thus far has been devoid of a storyline, huge build-up, or marquee match-up, and we've been playing most of the year without our star quarterback.

DH 8)
Took the words out of my mouth. The only reason why our attendance looks poor in comparison to other teams is due solely to the size of our stadium. 31,000+ people doesn't look like a lot when there's another 28,000 empty seats to look at. But, when we pack 50,000+ into BC Place for the Western Final I doubt you'll hear many people saying nobody is coming out to the games.
chimpy

imagine how bad it was when were getting only 18,000 +. and how bad it looked.

I want to see bc place converted to a 45,000 seat stadium with the option of bringing in another 5,10 thousand more seats for Grey Cups, but that is not going to happen soon because of the Olympics, and they need to sell bc place to David Brailey or who ever our owner will be at the time, i do not want to see us go outside, because i gurantee that as soon as it starts raining people will not show up. just look at it outside right know.

there was some kind of talk that, bc place could be configured were the floor could be lifted up to about the 45,000 seat mark and have a convention centure or some kind of storage underneith the floor, and it also can lower down to bring back the 60,000 seats also .

This sound more realistic than anything i have heard of out there.

But Bob Ackles still lives in the past too much and thinks we are going to get over 30,000 season ticket holders again and will be averging 40,000 again, can not see that happining unless the lions start becoming more popular than the canucks so the media will start paying more attention to every detail about the lions like they do the canucks.

And i guess if we win the next 2-3 grey cups in a row.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

If we repeat as Grey Cup Champions I think you'll definitely see another spike in attendance next year. Bob Ackles might not be as out to lunch as you may think he is. I think 30,000 could be a definite goal in the near future if this string of success continues. It's a proven fact that people in this city will support a winner. Another Western Final at home along with a second straight Grey Cup will see a big increase if you ask me. I'll go out on a limb now and say that we'll be at 26,000 STs next year if we win the Grey Cup again.
chimpy

well how many more season ticket holders did we get this year? it was not that bad i think we did about another 2,200 or so i think we are very close to 23,000 know, but i do agree, and like i said if we can win another grey cup this year and next that might put us very close to 30,000 and the i only hope the media will start to give us the attention we deserve, but you are right if this city and province notices that we are winning gray cup after gray cup then the media will have to start giving us way more attention, i can't belive how bad our situation was, it must have been been realy damaged to take this long to get back the 30,000 season ticket holders that we once had.
lion24
Legend

hutch wrote:How can their play clock be broken for TWO weeks now? That is pathetic, this IS a professional league.

On another note, it's funny how some bomber fans on their site say that Lions fans never show up to our home games and couldn't care less about the Lions......but was it just me or did anyone else think that Canad Inns looked half empty on Friday night?

Here is one of those opinions from a Bomber fan who obviously is not taking the loss too well :bawl:

"Yea maybe they are winning, but they're crowds are always SO DEAD!!!! and honestly nobody cares out here, it's all abotu the canucks. No one watched the football game out here save for a select few, everyone watched the canucks opener. Come on guys!! sure we may be having a rough time, but when edwards got that TD, everyone was JUMPING AND SCREAMING in bc they maybe would golf clap for that! Keep the faith everyone!!! We will get better! "

GO BOMBERS!!!!

(no regrets about being a Bomberfan in BC rather then a BC fan in this mudhole)
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Are those comments that far from the truth.

The Bombers had about 27,000 paid attendance on Friday in a stadium with a seating capacity of 29, 600. I have no idea how many were there but those are the reported numbers.

The Bombers had 5 consecutive sellouts and the last 2 games only didn't fill about 6K seats in total.

Overall for the season, that must be about 98% of capacity sold. This has been huge in Winnipeg.

When you consider the population base in Winnipeg and Vancouver, it was a fair comment.

Aside form the 26K - 32K die hard Lions fans ( that attend ) in Vancouver, you have to admit that the Lions are always 2nd in the media with the Canucks.

Yes, when the Lions host a playoff game they usually fill the place, but where are those other 30K fan the rest of the year? They are casual fans and they need to become full time fans.

And yes, I haven't been to every game this season.
lion24
Legend

Let's be honest in Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary etc. every CFL team takes a back seat to their NHL counterparts and that would be the same if Winnipeg had the Jets still. I hear about Lions fans sitting on their hands but I never saw any difference between games here at Commonwealth and when I went to Vancouver in August as there are the boisterous fans and the more subdued fans. To say that no one cares about the Lions in Vancouver is false; to say that there are about 25,000 die hard fans would probably be correct. My point is all this comes after a Bomber loss to the Lions. Sounds like sour grapes to me; and I follow the Bombers very closely after the Lions but it makes me lose a little respect when SOME Bomber fans feel the need to denigrate BC's fans after a loss :thdn:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:Let's be honest in Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary etc. every CFL team takes a back seat to their NHL counterparts and that would be the same if Winnipeg had the Jets still. I hear about Lions fans sitting on their hands but I never saw any difference between games here at Commonwealth and when I went to Vancouver in August as there are the boisterous fans and the more subdued fans. To say that no one cares about the Lions in Vancouver is false; to say that there are about 25,000 die hard fans would probably be correct. My point is all this comes after a Bomber loss to the Lions. Sounds like sour grapes to me; and I follow the Bombers very closely after the Lions but it makes me lose a little respect when SOME Bomber fans feel the need to denigrate BC's fans after a loss :thdn:
I agree. Even if true, it is sour grapes. Fans should worry more about how to get fans into their park and complain less about fans in other cities.
David
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:Are those comments that far from the truth.

The Bombers had about 27,000 paid attendance on Friday in a stadium with a seating capacity of 29, 600. I have no idea how many were there but those are the reported numbers.

The Bombers had 5 consecutive sellouts and the last 2 games only didn't fill about 6K seats in total.

Overall for the season, that must be about 98% of capacity sold. This has been huge in Winnipeg.

When you consider the population base in Winnipeg and Vancouver, it was a fair comment.

Aside form the 26K - 32K die hard Lions fans ( that attend ) in Vancouver, you have to admit that the Lions are always 2nd in the media with the Canucks.

Yes, when the Lions host a playoff game they usually fill the place, but where are those other 30K fan the rest of the year? They are casual fans and they need to become full time fans.

And yes, I haven't been to every game this season.
It's fair comment to say that B.C. Place has been a bit quieter this year compared to recent years, but let's put things in the proper perspective. There have been a lot of one-sided scores in favour of the home team this year, and as mentioned in my earlier post, through just a quirk in the schedule, we really haven't had a game this year that even diehard Lions fans have circled on their calendar. No Riders late, no "revenge match," no battle for first overall etc. I'm actually hoping the media will hype "Murphy vs Braidwood II" so at least we'll have one compelling storyline.

Not to denigrate the Bombers' accomplishments at the gate, Blue In BC (I hope for big crowds in every CFL city), but you have to admit that they definitely built momentum this season by "Stegall watch." And I'm always a bit uneasy about population comparisons when people say "well you have 2 million people so you should sell out every game." It's not that easy. I think it's a lot easier for teams in smaller towns (and yes, with a 600K population, I think Winnipeg qualifies as a smaller town) to get the message out there about the team and, in turn, for those citizens to really rally around the cause and take ownership in their club than it is for a bigger town with divergent backgrounds and a multitude of sports and entertainment opportunities.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Lions need to be more assertive in their ticket sales/marketing by going head to head with the Canucks. Example: Lions are consistent performers, tickets are better priced and excellent seats are available in the upper deck. Last time I checked, Canucks tickets are not really available as they sell out all the time. When compared to football, in too many hockey games the players float, too many games in a season waters down each games importance etc.
Krazy4football
prospect

lion24 wrote:Let's be honest in Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary etc. every CFL team takes a back seat to their NHL counterparts and that would be the same if Winnipeg had the Jets still. I hear about Lions fans sitting on their hands but I never saw any difference between games here at Commonwealth and when I went to Vancouver in August as there are the boisterous fans and the more subdued fans. To say that no one cares about the Lions in Vancouver is false; to say that there are about 25,000 die hard fans would probably be correct. My point is all this comes after a Bomber loss to the Lions. Sounds like sour grapes to me; and I follow the Bombers very closely after the Lions but it makes me lose a little respect when SOME Bomber fans feel the need to denigrate BC's fans after a loss :thdn:
I don't understand how people would take the Canucks in October over the Lions in October. The whole season is ahead for the Canucks, the Lions may have 2 or three home games left and are at the top of the league. The Canucks are over priced and tickets are hard to get, the Lions are a bargain and tickets are always available, and I'd take a wide open Jackson to Simon game anyday over a Roberto Luongo 1-0 win.
Bring back Empire Stadium!