Ugliest/Weirdest Lions item ever?

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:The Dunigan trade to the Argos was pretty ugly
What confuses me to this day is that no Lions fans seem to hold a grudge against Dunigan for his mistakes in the 1988 Grey Cup as well as the fact that he often demolished the Lions as an Eskimo, and then as an Argo. Lions fans seem to like him more than other QB, like Damon Allen, Kent Austin, or even Roy Dewalt, despite the fact that the latter three brought the Lions championships. :?
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Not more than Roy Dewalt.....sorry.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
LFITQ
Team Captain

Lions fans seem to like him more than other QB, like Damon Allen, Kent Austin, or even Roy Dewalt, despite the fact that the latter three brought the Lions championships.
Gonna agree with WCBF - Not morre than Roy Dewalt.

As for Kent Austin - many Lions fans equate the 1994 Grey Cup (rightly or wrongly) with Danny Mac despite Austin having been #1 QB. The magic in Calgary for the WF overshadows everything.

As for DA, some people remember how he lost us the 1999 WF and a chance to play at home in Grey Cup (fumbling the ball on a drive like that is inexcusable). Also factor in the years of frustration watching him take time count Violation after time Count violation only to do a swing or hitch pass on 2nd and long, or even just skip those along the ground to the receivers. The frustration felt over the years with DA not living up to his hype (perhaps the potential had long since left him) outweighed the success of 2000.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:As for DA, some people remember how he lost us the 1999 WF and a chance to play at home in Grey Cup (fumbling the ball on a drive like that is inexcusable). Also factor in the years of frustration watching him take time count Violation after time Count violation only to do a swing or hitch pass on 2nd and long, or even just skip those along the ground to the receivers. The frustration felt over the years with DA not living up to his hype (perhaps the potential had long since left him) outweighed the success of 2000.
:yes: In short, familiarity breeds contempt!
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Just like how one of the most notorious baseballs in MLB history is the one that went through Bill Buckner's legs, I'd say the most notorious football in Lions history is the one that Dunigan had picked off in the 1988 Grey Cup. If that football still exists somewhere, I'm sure it would go for quite a lot in an auction for Blue Bombers fans.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:Gonna agree with WCBF - Not morre than Roy Dewalt.

As for Kent Austin - many Lions fans equate the 1994 Grey Cup (rightly or wrongly) with Danny Mac despite Austin having been #1 QB. The magic in Calgary for the WF overshadows everything.

As for DA, some people remember how he lost us the 1999 WF and a chance to play at home in Grey Cup (fumbling the ball on a drive like that is inexcusable). Also factor in the years of frustration watching him take time count Violation after time Count violation only to do a swing or hitch pass on 2nd and long, or even just skip those along the ground to the receivers. The frustration felt over the years with DA not living up to his hype (perhaps the potential had long since left him) outweighed the success of 2000.
Good points, LFITQ. I suppose what makes Dewalt so popular is that he played mostly for the Lions throughout his careeer. In 1988, he had brief stops in Winnipeg and then Ottawa before retiring. Whereas the others had long careers with other teams as well.

I guess only time will tell whether Damon Allen will be respected in BC in the long run. As I stated here:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=10201

Allen actually has the second longest tenure of any quarterback in BC.
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Haha..T-shirt aint to nice.
Lets Go Lions!