Sept. 19 practice

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

This will be the Coles notes version of what WestCoastJoe provided throughout the summer but I thought Lionbackers would like to get some info leading up to Saturday’s big game.

•Lavar Glover was his lively self during stretching, trading verbal jabs back and forth with Paris Jackson. However, it was Rob Murphy providing the best comeback lines... first suggesting “you can breath easy, Dominguez isn’t playing this weekâ€
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the report. Things are looking up on the injury front.
MacNews
Team Captain

Thanks SammyGreene, great practice report!! :thup:

How did Potts look at OLB? More comfortable than MLB?
lion24
Legend

I am expecting these reports all the time from you now :wink: .....good job and thanks!! Sounds like Buck and even DD may be getting there? Nice to hear Glatt may be coming back and it is too bad the Lions cannot get Marsh in right away as I am sure he cannot wait until the 9 games are up.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the report, Sammy.

It's nice to hear the inside scoop on what happens in practice. It's kind of amazing, isn't it, how much of it involves injury status?
nelson95
Legend

Wally put the wrong player on the 9 game list...
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
David
Team Captain

Great report SG. I was aware that Buck still isn't quite up to speed with his throwing shoulder (and likely won't even be 2nd string in Regina this Saturday), but it's always nice to wind those Rider fans up. :wink:

On the good news front, Dave lifted weights yesterday for the first time in 9 weeks and was out on the practice field today! (but yes, nelson95 is right. Hindsight being 20/20 shows that DD should have been on the 9-gamer instead of Dante).

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Great report SG. I was aware that Buck still isn't quite up to speed with his throwing shoulder (and likely won't even be 2nd string in Regina this Saturday), but it's always nice to wind those Rider fans up. :wink:

On the good news front, Dave lifted weights yesterday for the first time in 9 weeks and was out on the practice field today! (but yes, nelson95 is right. Hindsight being 20/20 shows that DD should have been on the 9-gamer instead of Dante).

DH 8)
I haven't had it confirmed just yet, but the word is Tillman mentioned on Riderville that 40% of an injured players salary will be SMS exempt. So if DD has missed 9 games as of this weekend, DD's savings should be around the $80K mark, plus DM's full 9 game savings.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
David wrote:Great report SG. I was aware that Buck still isn't quite up to speed with his throwing shoulder (and likely won't even be 2nd string in Regina this Saturday), but it's always nice to wind those Rider fans up. :wink:

DH 8)
I haven't had it confirmed just yet, but the word is Tillman mentioned on Riderville that 40% of an injured players salary will be SMS exempt. So if DD has missed 9 games as of this weekend, DD's savings should be around the $80K mark, plus DM's full 9 game savings.
Even if true, DD has spent all those weeks on the Reserve list, not the IR.

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=tran ... y&tid=1528
Lloyd
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Great report. I have a killer sunburn from practice today, ugh! Dante Marsh definitely looked amazing. It was so nice to see but also disappointing knowing that he can't return for a few more weeks yet, he looked surprisingly sharp returning kicks, I was impressed.

It was great to hang out with Ballistic Bob and West Coast Blue Fan again, and nice to meet Shelion for the first time as well. Thanks for keeping me entertained! :thup:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote: It's kind of amazing, isn't it, how much of it involves injury status?
For sure WCJoe... sadly this was the first practice I was able to attend this season but I'm off work this week and was really interested to see what was going on with the QB situation.

LU and company have been pretty good about keeping hush regarding Buck's status. It's pretty evident he is not close to 100 percent and this looks way more like a 6-week healing process rather than 4.

DD's wife, daughter and dad visited practice yesterday which I thought was interesting. You have to wonder the conversations that have been taking place at his home the past few weeks.

Mac... Pottinger look pretty comfortable in Johnson's spot but don't forget he had one start there after Johnson's initial injury. It's too bad it's through injuries but his development has been a huge plus for the Lions this season. He's looked better each game and it's a lot to ask of a second-year Canadian to start at LB. Down the road... we could be looking at starting two Canadian LBs for the first time since the days of Jackson and Konar.

If you knew nothing about the Lions and attended practice for the first time.... you would be certain Paris Jackson is the team's star receiver not Geroy. He is big, strong, quick, catches every ball thrown his way and is one of the more vocal players on the field. Don't be surprised if he sees a lot of balls on Saturday as the Lions take advantage of a patched up Riders secondary.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:If you knew nothing about the Lions and attended practice for the first time.... you would be certain Paris Jackson is the team's star receiver not Geroy. He is big, strong, quick, catches every ball thrown his way and is one of the more vocal players on the field.
Paris is the Holler Guy on the Lions for sure, Sammy. He does it in a way that is quite fun. Kind of like Carl Kidd was. I expect Paris picked up on Carl's ways. Glover and Banks are fun, also, especially when they get into it with Paris. That is part of the entertainment of attending practice. I miss it.

I agree about Geroy as well. He is as quiet as a mouse most times. Everybody loves it though when he makes one of his great catches.

Does anyone have an insight into how the new players look? Goodwell at LB, Ortiz and Currie at WR? That would be appreciated. We have heard that Currie does look fast: he comes to us with that reputation. It seems like Ortiz is more of a possession type, and Currie more of a burner.
Blitz
Team Captain

Wally put the wrong player on the 9 game list...
I wrote that we should have put him on the 9 IR list when we had the chance to and said we would have him back before the playoffs. However, if we get him back sooner I was wrong!

Great practice report...love this area of Lionbackers..thanks Sammy for this one and thanks WestCoastJoe for all your efforts and insight!!

It sure is getting exciting to think that we're going to have all our players back soon (crossing fingers that we have no more injuries)
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Thanks Blitz...

The Province's Gord McIntyre has gone public with Buck's status.... even suggesting in today's paper that he is a week away from playing.

As I mentioned above... don't understand why Buck followed Jarious then in the order of reps. He did grab his right shoulder a couple of times on longer throws. And Vic mentioned he only threw abut 4 or 5 balls during Monday's practice before packing it in.

So much for Johnson just needed a playing cast (which was the scuttlebutt among onlookers). McIntyre reports he pulled his groin and won't even be dressed tomorrow. That's a huge loss. :bang:
I don't recall him getting hurt in the Toronto game.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene, this is getting rediculous. I'm starting to wonder if we will ever be healthy this year. Judging by how great we have played with backups and backup backups, this may be the year we will always wonder about.. if we were only healthy.

I hope I'm wrong.