Does this p*ss anyone else off?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hockey still ranks behind football, baseball, basketball south of the 49th parallel. With a few exceptions, hockey is still a tough sell in the US
Soundy
Hall of Famer

And still the NHL is bent on selling it to the US markets at all costs, even at the expense of the Canadian fans... :P

Personally, I love hockey... I love the Canucks...

The NHL and its current governance can get bent.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
lion24
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Hockey still ranks behind football, baseball, basketball south of the 49th parallel. With a few exceptions, hockey is still a tough sell in the US
In fact i think in many areas it also ranks behind Nascar, truck and tractor pull, Bass fishing and probably championship tiddlywinks as well!! :wink: :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Rammer
Team Captain

lion24 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Hockey still ranks behind football, baseball, basketball south of the 49th parallel. With a few exceptions, hockey is still a tough sell in the US
In fact i think in many areas it also ranks behind Nascar, truck and tractor pull, Bass fishing and probably championship tiddlywinks as well!! :wink: :wink:
IIRC, playoff hockey ranked behind repeat episodes of "The Cosby Show".
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Commercials get higher rankings.

Although, I heard on one of those american talk shows that nba has quite poor ratings...
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lionheart wrote:If he would have scored we would have won the game, no doubt about it.

If you recall, the nhl gave the strangers and extra day to regroup after game six. The extra day was enough to slow up our momentum and let them regroup. Contrary to wishfull memories, that game seven was our poorest effort of the three last games. If that goal goes in in the third though, it all comes back to our favour and the strangers were dust.
IMHO the TSN Turning Point in the series happened back in Game 4. The Canucks were down 2 games to 1 but up I believe 3-1 in the second period of Game 4. Bure gets a penalty shot. If Bure scores they are up 4-1 and they prevail to tie the series going back to New York. Instead Richter stones him and the Rangers come from behind to win the game and go back to Gotham holding a 3-1 series lead.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

According to the NHL spin doctor Gary Bettman, the NHL is doing just fine in the States. There was a feature on the Noon Hour Sports today that none of the LA newspapers had a reporter accompany the Kings on their road trips this season.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:According to the NHL spin doctor Gary Bettman, the NHL is doing just fine in the States. There was a feature on the Noon Hour Sports today that none of the LA newspapers had a reporter accompany the Kings on their road trips this season.
Correction, the kings AND the clucks.

Unreal.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:
Godammit! Would people puh-leeze stop maligning the great pasttime of tiddlywinks?? Its got its own national association fer crissakes!

http://www.tiddlywinks.org/
lion24
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
lion24 wrote:
Godammit! Would people puh-leeze stop maligning the great pasttime of tiddlywinks?? Its got its own national association fer crissakes!

Sorry i didn't know mean to offend your love of tiddlywinks; in a way i did compliment it by saying it was more popular than hockey in some states :wink: :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
lion24 wrote:

Sorry i didn't know mean to offend your love of tiddlywinks; in a way i did compliment it by saying it was more popular than hockey in some states :wink: :wink:
Apology accepted *snif*
lion24
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
lion24 wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:

Apology accepted *snif*
Just to put you at ease i have some pictures that will make you happy! Tiddlywinks Rock!!!!!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Now it should be obvious to anyone how tiddlywinks could be more popular than hockey in some places!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I will tell you of another big difference that I've noticed, and I'd say from a marketing standpoint, the Canucks have done a better job than the Lions in this regard. I'm sure you've all noticed that a lot of vehicles around Vancouver are flying Canucks flags right now. And many vehicles are flying not just one, but two flags. If they are flying two flags, then most likely, one of them will be the one showing the current Canucks logo while the other will show the old, vintage logo.

ImageImage

I would say that the Canucks have done a very good job marketing their vintage uniforms. You see many people wear it at the games. I'd say that overall the ratio of usage of items featuring the current logo vs. the old logo about 60% to 40%. It's very easy to find souvenirs and paraphernalia featuring either logo at any store.

However, I don't think the same thing could be said about the Lions in their attempt to revive their old logo when they wear their vintage jerseys. Despite the fact that the Lions wore their vintage uniforms featuring the paw logo in both the West Division Final as well as the Grey Cup game, I don't think souvenirs featuring the old logo is nearly as popular as their current logo. In other words, it's definitely not a 60:40 distribution like how the Canucks have marketed both logos. I think one reason may be that there are very limited items featuring the vintage paw logo. A quick check of both the BC Lions store as well as Sports & Stuff indicates that the vast majority of Lions souvenirs, including their Grey Cup championship memorabilia, still feature the current logo. I was only able to find these two items featuring the old paw logo.

ImageImage

On the rafters of General Motors Place, the Canucks have hung various banners they have won, and the logo on each banner corresponds with the one that was in use at the time. For example, the banner indicating that they were 1975 Smythe Division champions features the hockey stick logo, even though the banner was not made and raised until October 1982 when it was hung along with two other banners featuring the skate logo.

The Lions have not adopted a similar scheme. This picture shows the four banners the Lions have put up for their four Grey Cup wins. The ones from 1964 and 1985 are on the left side of the screen.

You will notice that all four banners use the current logo, which isn't very accurate because the logo certainly wasn't in use by the 1964 team. And the 1985 banner isn't technically correct either because the logo in use at the time at a different colour scheme.

ImageImage

With a fifth Grey Cup banner on its way, I think a nice and pleasant change to alter the design to have it feature the Paw logo that was used when the Lions wore those uniforms during the WDF and Grey Cup. 8) But somehow, I don't think that will be the case. :sigh:
David
Team Captain

Does this thread sound familiar? Hockey fans in New York go through the same things we go through trying to get our sports talk hosts to talk about Lions football instead of hockey, hockey, hockey. Instead, in New York it's baseball, basketball, and more baseball (until NFL season starts then it's all Giants).

http://bb.newyorkrangers.com/idealbb/vi ... icID=50374

Well, at least our sports talk show hosts bring up the Leos occasionally. The evening drive time slot at New York's WFAN radio station - the team's flagship station - barely gives the Rangers a mention.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar