Casey Printers to the Argos?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

Package McKay-Loescher and Printers rights............see what you can get back in return.
*inside joke warning*

Clifford Ivory, maybe?

*end inside joke warning*
Tighthead
Legend

Lionut wrote:I still think Casey will take another run at the NFL next year. KC will lose Huard, and they are
You can count me amongst those who think that Printers isn't going anywhere for 2007 - he'll go back to KC, and if cut from there will exhaust every NFL possibility he can before coming back to the CFL. Why invest a season learning the ropes on a practice roster, only to bail the following year? This isn't just about the money - it's about following the NFL dream. The CFL will always be there for Printers, but when the NFL window is open, even a crack, you have to try to get through it.
I agree completely - he won't necessarily get another shot at the NFL - look at Ricky Ray. He could be making more money here, but he has a chance at crazy money in the NFL if things pan out like they did for Garcia. Even if KC cuts him, I think someone will take him to camp next year. Coming back to the CFL might close the NFL door.
Blitz
Team Captain

Even if KC cuts him, I think someone will take him to camp next year. Coming back to the CFL might close the NFL door.
I'm not so sure that NFL door is very open to Casey Printers. Printers does not have that type of quck release precision arm that throws it into a very tight window in the NFL...something I worried about when he went down there.

If Dickenson would have been taller, bigger, and had a stronger arm he would have been more of an NFL prospect. He's mainly a pocket passer with a very accurate arm and that is more of a prototype NFL quarterback.

Printers best option would be to come back to the CFL, have two or three excellent seasons and try again. When Kansas City announced Printers signing he was coming in with big fanfare as a MOP quarterback fromt the CFL but when the Chiefs drafted a quarterback in the third round the writing was on the wall. It all depends on what the Chiefs decide to do with Huard but he played well and Edwards will want to go with experience at backup quarterback for another season at least.

Printers game plan changed during the 2005 season. He had wanted to remain with the Leos and play here for a few years and then try to follow the path of his hero Warren Moon to the NFL. The 2005 season, with all the fallout of the quarterback controversy resulted in Printers choosing a different path than he originally had intended. He would be wiseer to get back to his original game plan, even if it is with a different team.

The fact is that Printers only played in a pro offence in his last college season and in his time with the Leos. His first season here he had less than ten offensive snaps. In his MOP season, he played behind a porous offensive line and he made a lot of plays more often than he developed within a system. He then played mostly injured in a few games in 2005, in an offence that got all our quarterbacks killed. The fact is that Printers went down the the NFL, coming off an injury plagued season, that did little to prepare him for that shot. Printers really needed a couple more CFL seasons before going down.

In the politics of the NFL you have to be seen by the coaching staff as a player the brass believes you gotta give some opportunities to. Croyle hardly played in the exhibition season and yet was given the third string job. When you are a high draft choice that's usually the way it works but I also don't believe Printers style is one that Edwards prefers. It's also a style definitely made more for the CFL, where quarterbacks get more opportunities to roll out, run, and make plays!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Tighthead
Legend

Blitz - I am not saying it is very open, but if he comes back, it may weld shut. Casey is better suited for the CFL, but I also think that if he is going to make it in the NFL, playing more in the CFL does him little good. He needs to work on skills specific to the NFL - the quick release, tight accuracy model. I would like to see him get a full season in NFLE to see if he progressed.

If the Chiefs see enough in practice he could hang on. Look at how the Cowboys and Seahawks kept and developed Romo and Wallace.
Blitz
Team Captain

Blitz - I am not saying it is very open, but if he comes back, it may weld shut. Casey is better suited for the CFL, but I also think that if he is going to make it in the NFL, playing more in the CFL does him little good. He needs to work on skills specific to the NFL - the quick release, tight accuracy model. I would like to see him get a full season in NFLE to see if he progressed.

If the Chiefs see enough in practice he could hang on. Look at how the Cowboys and Seahawks kept and developed Romo and Wallace.
The problem is that Casey Printers, right now, is only a practice roster player, and he doesn't get the reps needed to develop. That's different than Wallace or Romo. If he was a third string quarterback it might be worth it to hang on in the NFL but not in the present situation. He'd be better off playing in the CFL. Plus, you also play pro for money and Printers has not done well that way, by signing a 60,000 contract for three seasons with the Leos and then making the decison to turn down the contract offer from the Leos last off-season and then not make the Chiefs active roster.

Printers would be better off playing a season in NFL Europe than his present situation also but he could do better financially by returning to the CFL. I guess that will depend on what he thinks his best future is. I doubt it's an easy call and sometimes you can beat the odds but the odds are still best for a return to the CFL for Casey Printers.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Tighthead
Legend

He has a decent shot at 3rd string somewhere next year, although some teams aren't carrying a 3rd QB right now. Wallace and Romo were third stringers, but there are a few guys around who have spent time on the practice squad.

A good season in NFLE would really get him on track as it puts him out there for all teams to see.

Financially he must not be too concerned, especially as he is only about 24 and making about $100k. That is nice coin at that age when you have no dependants. The NFL pension is also a huge carrot.

I agree that the odds favour a return to the CFL. He can be great in the CFL with his current skill set. I don't believe that can be said for the NFL. However, there will always be big money waiting for him in the CFL. Nobody is going to forget about him.
Blitz
Team Captain

He has a decent shot at 3rd string somewhere next year, although some teams aren't carrying a 3rd QB right now. Wallace and Romo were third stringers, but there are a few guys around who have spent time on the practice squad.

A good season in NFLE would really get him on track as it puts him out there for all teams to see.
Agreed tighthead but he's gotta get practice reps or game reps. Most pro teams don't give their backups the kind of reps the Leos do. The backup quarterback is lucky to get 10-20% of the practice reps during the week and the third string usually only runs scout team. Printers is still young..I agree and he has many years to go in his football career but too much rust can also be career damaging. There is also nothing worse than a 24 year old player standing around at a football practice.
Tighthead
Legend

I think you have to be that guy who stays after practice to give more work to the receivers who want it. A third stringer has to hope for injuries, or kick the door down - nobody is going to hold it open for you.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:I think you have to be that guy who stays after practice to give more work to the receivers who want it. A third stringer has to hope for injuries, or kick the door down - nobody is going to hold it open for you.
That isn't going to happen when the season is underway. That is not how a pro team works.

Secondly, as Blitz notes, it is decent reps under simulated (albeit no contact, slower pace) game conditions where the QB is learning the offence, the people and can focus on the things needed to improve and raise his value to his team. On the PR, it just isn't going to happen.

In the CFL, it is very likely that the Lions are the only team that gives decent reps to all three QBs in practice. The 3rd string QB on most teams will not get near the reps that the Lions give.
Tighthead
Legend

That helped Tony Romo in Dallas - so at least one pro team works that way. Drew Henson was the guy with the big pedigree and contract, but all the receivers who put in extra work with Romo were in his corner. Also, you have to be the guy in training camp who puts in the extra reps with the rookies and new guys. Even this season, when Owens wanted to put in extra reps, Romo was the one who put his hand up. Any chance to show your stuff or get supported.

I said he needs to get to 3rd string - but other guys have climbed from PR all the way up. Right guy, right time, right place. Look at Ryan Fitzpatrick - a third stringer who got some starts last year, just because of injuries. When I say kick the door down, I don't mean that it is going to happen right away, but you have to be one of those guys who shows something in limited opportunities so that a coach hates to cut him. Even if you are running the scout team, make all the throws - that sort of thing. Nobody is going to make sure you get a fair shake.

Jeff Hostetler stuck around the Giants in his early days because he was decent on special teams - remember he blocked a punt or two in his career. Then he takes them to a Superbowl with a healthy Simms on the bench.

One obstacle for Casey may be that he has already had success and it doesn't mean squat where he is right now. It is hard to be the humble guy when you are used to being the man.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:If Printers is interested in coming back to the CFL Toronto is his best option. It's a major market and they would pay him well to sign there.
I still scratch my head at why everyone thinks toronto is the only other city casey could/would sign and afford him. (note, I haven't read the article yet but bet someone is blowing smoke outta their ass as no one will be thinking about the CFL till after Feb.) Hamilton has just as much and I think more money than toronto.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote: They also know with only 2-1/2 months left until Printers is a CFL free agent there is a short window of opportunity for BC to get something in return.
Thanks Hambone, I'd say his rights till Feb are absolutely worthless. What good are they? First, Casey still wants to be a chief, second there is no way he's gonna sign with anyone till he's a free agent.
Tighthead
Legend

Lionheart - I agree on both fronts. Even if he didn't want to be a chief, it would have to be some sort of crazy deal for him to sign without testing the waters. And if the Argos are going to make a crazy offer that he can't refuse, they don't need exclusive rights and could just wait until Feb 15 and make the crazy offer.

I stand to be corrected if horseheads turn up in someone's bed.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: If Printers is interested in coming back to the CFL Toronto is his best option. .....
I'd love to see Printers back in the CFL. He's a quarterback made for the CFL, ......
We need to develop the next crop of star CFL quarterbacks.

I have always been a fan of Printers abilities on the playing field and am a big fan of Buck Pierce. A classic showdown between those two, if Printers returns to the CFL, in a place like Toronto, will mean the CFL will have lots of excitement in the years to come and that will be good for the game!
Blitz, I read the entire thread but your comments I've quoted here really jumped out for me. On another thread a question was posed about less exciting/lower scoring games. I think your comment about needing the next generation of CFL QB's is an answer.