Lions Celebration at Art Gallery

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestcoastJay

Great turn out, there was a BB sighting :rockin:

Glad Rintoul made it louder.
jeepdude50

just got back from the art gallery celebration... lots of people there... was great to see the team and so many fans having a good time... too bad my lunch break is so short :bang:
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Just got back.

That was awesome. Crazy P was worse than ever and scared Tyrone's Kids...stupid drummer.

The Players were super nice at the end signing autographs for anyone that wanted them.

I snuck my hands on the WDF trophy being carried by Mike Benevides, and Scott Ackles brought the GC trophy down to my height so i could carry it. Don't worry I only touched the 85 at 94 team:D

Should've been later in the day as it would've been a more festive atmosphere, but BB's chant of "ONE MORE YEAR" when they called Murphy's name was priceless, thank goodness I was beside him to hear it! :beer:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
orphan cub
Champion

WestcoastJay wrote: Glad Rintoul made it louder.
Scotty was there?? As in, the Sherminator?! *swoon*

and I had to miss it... :sigh:
2006 Grey Cup Champions
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hard to estimate the crowd but it was a good turnout. The team was about 30 minutes late arriving and obviously not everyone made it one the bus.
When the player introductions finally arrived ... Aaron Hunt and a couple of players ran past us to get in line before their names were called out. :lol:

Lots of media coverage which was good to see. My 8-year-old son was interviewed by City TV (not sure where they would be airing it with no local newscast :?). I was asked why he wasn't in school and I told him it was a Canadiana field trip and better than anything he was going to learn in the couple of hours of class time he missed. The reporter was also impressed with how much he knew about the team.

We left around 1:30 so I could get back to the office. :lol:

Grey Cup champions merchandise was for sale with the hats going for $40 each (ouch!).
Last edited by SammyGreene on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good turnout. The festivities started around 12:30 PM which was good because quite a few people had to leave to go back to work. By 1:00 I had moved from the back to almost the front. Had a nice chat with Buck Pierce. Very happy with his new contract and is looking forward to coming back. Asked him if he wanted to go fishing next year and he replied that he wants to catch a sturgeon.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

This is probably the funniest picture I got, my apologies to Lou:
I've run into Lui many times during my life (including when I was 2 or 3) and this is the latest. He said "Whoa, not that close". But he wasn't mad. I tried not to shoot it that close but it was an accident. And he gave me a pat on the 81 on the front of my jersey. Hey, look who's in the background. That was totally coincidental. I didn't even realize until I got home.
Blutarski

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:Just got back.

That was awesome. Crazy P was worse than ever and scared Tyrone's Kids...stupid drummer.

The Players were super nice at the end signing autographs for anyone that wanted them.

I snuck my hands on the WDF trophy being carried by Mike Benevides, and Scott Ackles brought the GC trophy down to my height so i could carry it. Don't worry I only touched the 85 at 94 team:D

Should've been later in the day as it would've been a more festive atmosphere, but BB's chant of "ONE MORE YEAR" when they called Murphy's name was priceless, thank goodness I was beside him to hear it! :beer:

Rats, I had to leave at 1pm so could not get the photos in my media book autographed. I wonder if any of the players might show up for the merchandise sale Dec 2nd?
jim604
All Star

my apologies to carl :)
smphantom
Legend

Good pics.
Why was DD the only player not wearing the actual game jersey?
Stay thirsty my friends.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

DDs jersey might be off to a charity auction. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Why the Art Gallery.

Were they afraid not enough people would show up at BC Place, or they could have used GM place, or even the coliseum.

I am glad people enjoyed it anyhow, but no parade and using the Art Gallary is not a great ending to a great season and post season. Makes us look second rate to other CFL fans across the country, most of whom's teams\cities would have done it better.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

I thought the celebration/rally was really well done. Being an "outdoor stadium" kind of guy I loved the venue, but I realize for maximum effect they could have quadrupled their numbers if they'd held it in the evening at GM Place (the Canucks are out of town all this week after all). They could still have done the "We Are Champions" schtick on the arena PA complete with the scoreboard graphics etc. Still, I thought it was a great turnout for a Tuesday afternoon and I really enjoyed the intimate atmosphere.

After a long delay (bordering on too long....the natives were getting restless and I was worried the sun was going to disappear. Fast.), MC Phil Reimer called each member of the team up to the Art Gallery steps. Phil was a curious choice....I didn't know he had any affiliation with the club and be botched a few of the names. Not sure why Lions pre and post-game host Scotty Rintoul was not handed the whole thing....he knows the team intimately. Anyway, after the intros, Bobby and Wally said a few words, then Scotty came up and called some of the key personnel up to the podium for interviews - Aaron Hunt, Tyrone Williams, Paul McCallum, Dave Dickenson, and Brent Johnson. There was a lot of love at that rally! Shouts of "One More Year," "We Want Carl" "Re-peat" Wal-ly, Wal-ly" bellowed throughout the hour long event.

Then dozens of black and orange helium balloons were unleashed into the slate gray sky, the legendary Dal Richards led the crowd through a stirring rendition of our fight song, "Roar You Lions Roar" then the players took the mic and did their own chant and response with the crowd. Very cool! The players (Carl Kidd and Bobby Singh) then took the Grey Cup that was being passed around the team and shared it with crowd while the DJ played "We Are The Champions."

The threatening skies then shed a few tears for the end of the season, and the crowd quickly disbursed hoping to do it all again in 12 months time.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Then dozens of black and orange helium balloons were unleashed into the slate gray sky
isnt that supposed to be a bad thing...bad for animals or something??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

Grey Cup champions merchandise was for sale with the hats going for $40 each (ouch!).[/quote

lionbackers get championship hats for $30.00 at sports & stuff
as well as the best selection and price on t-shirts and hoodies.

remember to watch for time /date/ players coming to sports & stuff
with the CUP!! great time for christmas shopping