2020 British Columbia General Election Thread

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Which party will you vote for in the 42nd BC general election held on October 24, 2020?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:40 am

New Democratic (John Horgan)
50%
Liberal (Andrew Wilkinson)
25%
Green (Sonia Furstenau)
25%

Total votes: 4
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:52 pm
Robbie wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:40 am
There was an increase in the turnout for 2017:

1986 - 68.5%
1991 - 64.0%
1996 - 59.1%
2001 - 55.4%
2005 - 58.2%
2009 - 51.0%
2013 - 55.3%
2017 - 61.2%

Let's see if 2020 will have at least 60%. With the pandemic however, I wonder if people are afraid to go out to the polling centres.
With mail-in ballots now, let's see if turnout can exceed 70% if eligible voters are too lazy (or scared) to go to the polling centres.
Preliminary results show that only 52.4% of eligible voters cast a ballot in the provincial election. An all time low. :bang: :puke: :hmm: :roll: :sigh: :devil: :surrender:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With John Horgan stepping down, David Eby will be the next BC Premier on November 18, 2022. David Eby was essentially uncontested as the only other candidate in the 2022 BC NDP leadership election, Anjali Appadurai, was disqualified.

I wonder if Eby will call for a BC General Election soon and we'll see how it will affect the image of NDP party.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:45 pm
With John Horgan stepping down, David Eby will be the next BC Premier on November 18, 2022. David Eby was essentially uncontested as the only other candidate in the 2022 BC NDP leadership election, Anjali Appadurai, was disqualified.

I wonder if Eby will call for a BC General Election soon and we'll see how it will affect the image of NDP party.
If Anjali Appadurai had won, she'd have put the gov't in a major bind. Her stated public policies were not NDP policy and if they changed course they'd have to call an election. The other way, would be to have an MLA give up their seat and that's hard these days with the rules so tight they can be prosecuted if they then appoint that person to a nice role.

The disqualification of Anjali Appadurai will be a key Kevin Falcon point of attack (that's his style). Doubt it will get many votes but will reinforce his base.

While it looks bad on the NDP, it appears that Appadurai was getting Greens and other climate organization members to sign up in large numbers to take over the NDP in violation of their rules. Those have been her words even after - join and take over the riding associations.

Three reasons we'll not likely see an early election:

1. The public didn't like Premier Horgan's early call (even though he won majority).
PM Trudeau federally lost majority gov't on his early call.

2. The NDP are in the same boat as the fed Lib gov't last time before they called our last fed election. Why risk losing seats when you still have a mandate.

3. David Eby has been a key minister in the Horgan government that has a clear mandate. He'd risk losing seats unnecessarily.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

regardless of party preference, I am sad to see Horgan go.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:57 pm
regardless of party preference, I am sad to see Horgan go.
Yes. Me too.

Professionally, I only met John Horgan when he worked for the Crown Corporations Secretariat after one of his former colleague's then working for me suggested that I meet him and several others there as part of clarifying our response to an external report where we had some concerns.

I was impressed as he grasped issues well and listened well. It was productive as he's truly a public policy professional.

He has led good government letting his ministers perform in their portfolios.

That he left now speaks volumes of his character as he wasn't prepared to give it another 6 years.

I only hope that his health batter is over for now.

Not sure where the rumour in the media that he might be Canada's Ambassador to Ireland gained credence but it's out there in print. Currently Nancy Smyth a career diplomat has that role and while not there long folks like Nancy Smyth get used to moving to new postings.

Clearly, PM Trudeau would ensure that his service to Canada isn't lost.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It would seem a bit incongruous if he stepped away from provincial politics because of a health scare to then take another position half a world away, where his doctor's, monitors etc are no where at hand. I would think he would want to be illness free for a least a couple of years before he considered taking on anything like that. I presume his family is hereabouts as well so again, moving away from all your familiar supports would seem strange to say the least. I don't think this idea has a lot of legs right now. Maybe going forward it might pick up steam but not at this time IMO.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.