2017 BC Provincial Election Thread

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Which party will you vote for in the 2017 British Columbia general election on May 9, 2017?

Poll ended at Tue May 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Liberal (Christy Clark)
50%
New Democratic (John Horgan)
50%
Green (Andrew Weaver)
No votes

Total votes: 8
Robbie
Hall of Famer

After the Canadian Federal Election in late 2015 and then the U.S. Presidential election late last year, it's time to get more local as the 41st British Columbia general election is tentatively scheduled for May 9, 2017.

Which party will you vote for?

Currently:

Liberal: 47 seats
NDP: 35 seats
Green: 1 seat
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

not ndp

you forgot other as in independents.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I'm sure the results of the B.C. government 2017 provincial budget to be released tomorrow afternoon will have a huge affect on whether the Liberal party will e re-elected.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Latest poll results show B.C. Liberals and NDP deadlocked at 37 per cent. Is BC ready for an NDP government again since 2001?
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It looks like MSP premiums will decrease but not PST nor income tax.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

While I'm not a Christy fan per se, and while I'm sure many will disagree on specific points, on balance, the province doesn't seem to be in too bad a shape right now. Those earth shattering changes in momentum are usually reserved for times when the economy is so bad and people are so angry, that they will vote anyone but.... I'm not entirely sure that this fits this time round. We seem to be doing as well overall as any province in this country and better than quite a few. Sure costs are high, people are unhappy with taxes and the medical system and so on but does anyone really believe that the next group is going to do it any different and if they do, would it result in change for the better? Granted it has been awhile since the the NDP had the reigns in this province but I'm sure people can still remember how that ended up the last time. I Remember my Alberta based brother telling me how ol' Christy was going to get devoured in negotiations with Allison Redford and guess what, she is still here while Redford and co pretty much laid the foundation for the first non Conservative Gov. in Alberta for over 40 years. She may be a bit slimy as are many of her ilk, but I think one can also conclude that she is a survivor. I don't know if she will have a majority gov. but at this stage, I am not convinced that she isn't going to be forming government again. If she didn't lose last time when most all figured her loss to be a forgone conclusion, I'm not sure why any would think she is destined for failure this time around. I don't think Horgan is all that impressive in what I've seen so far. May be better than Dix but then again, who chose Dix?! They still have the same problem they have always had in this province. Labour isn't a big enough power in this province to win the day on it's own. The NDP can't cater too much to Environmentalist without alienating labour and things are bad enough to sway large numbers of middle of the road voters.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Who watched the BC Leaders debate tonight? Did it sway your decision?
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Watched most of it. Wasn't impressed. John Horgen was continually interrupting Christy Clarke.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I didn't watch it but I was at an all candidates meeting for my riding which was cleverly on the same night. On balance, I like the NDP guy running in my riding more than the Liberal but when you vote for someone, you are getting more than just them, you get their party too. That is causing me to think very carefully. I'm not raptured with the Libs but I remember back to the Clark times and there is a lot of sluffing off responsibility with the "that was then, this is now" rhetoric flying around. But the truth is that even from all those years ago, we have just finished dealing with the fallout from that sweetheart contract that the outgoing NDP tossed at the teachers Federation. So in my mind, it was then but it shows how then can still be now. Years and millions of dollars later, it is finally settled.

I think the biggest issues for me going forward are.

Commitments to end patronage funding from Unions and Corporations = NDP, Greens
I like the NDP's position on site C. Why the liberals didn't put that project to the BC Utilities Commission rather than their own "experts" I can only guess.
I do like the idea of a cap on bridge tolls (Libs), I don't think that eliminating them is realistic. NDP
I'm not sure about $10.00 per day daycare either. (NDP) I"m really torn about it. Having kids is expensive, why we need to subsidize personal choices like having kids, I don't know. On the other hand, people shouldn't have to go into the poor house to have a child either.

None of them have committed to some of the things that I think would make sense. Mostly the practice of taking fees, tolls and taxes billed for specific items and rolling them into General Rev.
Things like "Road Taxes", "ICBC Premiums", and the like that are billed for specific things and them disappear in the maw of general revenue to get used on who knows what. I also think a far more sensible solution of the application of tolls is to toll all the major bridges at a much lower rate and take away the incentive to bridge shop. Also, putting that money away expressly for new capital projects like replacing the Patullo Bridge makes infinitely more sense than borrowing for the project at a later time.

I like the idea of making Capital gains exemptions on housing only available after 5 years of ownership to cut out the speculation crap that happens all the time. I don't like the Green's proposal of a 1 million dollar cut of on those exemptions given that having a home sub 1million down here is a practical impossibility.

At the end of the day, I will probably vote NDP. 16 years is plenty of the Libs and it may be time to change it up just to keep things fresh.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

short and simple

ndp will win. we will regret it.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Two days before the election. Any final thoughts and predictions?
Some polls believe that there's a fair possibility of a minority BC government for the first time since 1953.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It's gonna be close by the looks of things. It might be ideal for the Greens. If it is as close as it seems it might be, 2 or 3 seats for the Greens could be enough to give them more power in the legislature than ever before.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I predict an ndp minority
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Since it's expected to be a close race, I wonder if voter turnout will be higher this year.

1986 - 68.5%
1991 - 64.0%
1996 - 59.1%
2001 - 55.4%
2005 - 58.2%
2009 - 51.0%
2013 - 55.3%

I'd be happy if it exceeds 60.0%
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Very close so far. It looks like it's going down to the wire.
祝你龍年行大運。