Champion

RIP Stompin Tom

The Football Song

My favorite
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

A singular and unabashedly Canadian talent. He will be missed.

He was aware of his declining health and penned this farewell message for release upon his death, as posted to stompintom.com:
Stompin’ Tom’s farewell to his fans:

Hello friends, I want all my fans, past, present, or future, to know that without you, there would have not been any Stompin’ Tom.

It was a long hard bumpy road, but this great country kept me inspired with its beauty, character, and spirit, driving me to keep marching on and devoted to sing about its people and places that make Canada the greatest country in the world.

I must now pass the torch, to all of you, to help keep the Maple Leaf flying high, and be the Patriot Canada needs now and in the future.

I humbly thank you all, one last time, for allowing me in your homes, I hope I continue to bring a little bit of cheer into your lives from the work I have done.

Sincerely,

Your Friend always,

Stompin’ Tom Connors
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Always like him. Not what I'd call a great singer but he had a unique style that was folksy Canadian. Hard not to like his distintive music. Hockey Night in Canada always made me smile.

BTW: Alvin Lee of Ten Years Afer also passed away this week. Not a Canadian but " Goin Home " from Woodstock was one of my favorite long guitar songs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A true patriot. He will be missed.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A real classy message. He will be missed for sure. Great Big Sea did one of his songs in a tribute to him last night. The crowd was wild about it. I don't know if Stompin Tom recognized the depth and breadth of his legacy. It is enormous.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.