Debate #1 - Legalization of Marijuana/Cannabis in Canada

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Should recreational Marijuana/Cannabis be legalized in Canada?

Yes
64%
Yes but for medical usage only
9%
No
27%

Total votes: 11
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Last night's election solved the mystery of who will be the President of the USA and I hope you are all happy with the result given the poll results. But aside from the Presidency, Americans also voted on many other legalization issues and it looks like two of the bigger issues affected the BC neighbours from down south as it involved Washington State. Since there's always some interest in the legalization of societal aspects, I'll create two threads in light of the legalization that occurred last night.

The recreational use of marijuana was legalized in the states of Colorado and Washington and it's getting quite a big reaction from those in BC. Aside from shopping in Washington state from BC residents, there's even more reason to go across the border now. In the Canadian provinces, marijuana is officially illegal but rarely enforced along with exceptions only for medical usage like certain US states.

Creating a poll: Should Marijuana be legalized in Canada?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
South Pender
Legend

I think that this is one of the most significant results of yesterday's election--the legalization, for recreational purposes, of pot in Washington and Colorado. It's huge and has far-reaching implications. There is at least one additional hurdle, however, and that's the federal Department of Justice who still has pot use as a criminal offense. The state and federal governments will have to sort this out before the legal sale of pot can proceed.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

The issue or question is less about the use but what the distribution channels might look like. Legalizing the use is fine if the governments create some sort of legal distribution process for users to eliminate the " criminal " aspect of the supply.

That could be done in many ways including legal licensed store fronts or expanding medical use providers and growers that support that need.

I'm all for eliminating the gang activity. So just legalizing it doesn't directly solve the supply issue. I have to assume they would put a plan in place to accomplish that in Washington / Colorado and eventually BC if it becomes legal here.

On the plus side, it would reduce the cost of chasing and procecuting criminals in the " growth industry ". On the positive side it might generate some revenue similar to alcohol or tobacco.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is the vote binding on the government ?
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Agreed. Like alcohol it's a matter of how much, when or where is appropriate. Like alcohol, legalization potentially will add a percentage of abusers as it did with alcohol. An impaired driver is an impaired driver what ever the drug of use chosen.

I don't know the longterm health issues in comparison to alcohol but it would seem obvious there will be a few social issues caused by any abuser group.

Alcohol abuse leads to many mental health or physical health issues for a portion of the population.

There will always be a portion of the population that over indulges and loses control. That's unfortunate.
D
Team Captain

marijuana is a gateway drug to the fridge :popcorn:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

The lawsuit question is an interesting question. People want the freedom to do things they want. In this case the use of pot.

Government's don't force people to drink, smoke or use drugs. It does seem ridiculous that people can sue for problems caused.

I wonder if food companies or food brands have been sued for people gaining weight by over indulgence?

People need to take ownership for the things they do and quit blaming everyone else.
LadnerLion
Rookie

Blue In BC wrote:The lawsuit question is an interesting question. People want the freedom to do things they want. In this case the use of pot.

Government's don't force people to drink, smoke or use drugs. It does seem ridiculous that people can sue for problems caused.

I wonder if food companies or food brands have been sued for people gaining weight by over indulgence?

People need to take ownership for the things they do and quit blaming everyone else.
There have been several lawsuits against McDonalds by parents who's kids got too fat.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Marijuana, other drugs ...

IMO they should be treated the same as alcohol. User beware, but not illegal. Treat it like a health/social issue.

Belatedly this view is finally taking root in some parts of the United States. :thup:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

LadnerLion wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:The lawsuit question is an interesting question. People want the freedom to do things they want. In this case the use of pot.

There have been several lawsuits against McDonalds by parents who's kids got too fat.
Maybe the governments should sue the parents for not educating their children on what excess and bad nutrition can do to their health. Just kidding of course but shouldn't the parents be responsible for guiding their children into a healthy lifestyle?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

LadnerLion wrote:

I recall a case in Brazil that was successful as the guy was the McD Ass't Manager who got free lunch for 12 years or something. In the USA where they have vastly more frivolous suits they tossed that out in a NY court where they sued for making kids obese.

Not sure that this has ever gone to a court in Canada for one very good reason and that is LOSER PAYS in Canada. The winning side is awarded costs including the lawyers' fees up to about 1/3 of the winning sides costs. This pretty much precludes such a suit in Canada even if a lawyer took it on a contingency fee basis.

Also now most provinces require mandatory mediation and this will head off most silly cases as they won't risk the wrath of a judge and the cost of a civil jury trial if you LOSE is quite substantial. Imagine how many lawyers a firm like McD can bring and how many experts they could afford to bring in.

I think some recent case in BC has a woman burned via a spilled hot coffee at a McD drive through but that is personal injury and that is very different than the food I voluntarily purchased from you made me fat.

The legalization issue seems to be getting more steam but in Canada this is a federal matter unlike the USA where states set criminal laws in place.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
chainsawman34
prospect

This law in wash as it is written is not a good thing , and will not work fairly until they can come up with a fair way to determine if a user is impaired . As it stand a user could smoke on monday and still be considered impaired on friday due to the fact that THC can say in your system for up to 30 days . Look for the court system to be over whelmed by people fighting the DUID tickets, as least until they come up with a fair test.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

chainsawman34 wrote:This law in wash as it is written is not a good thing , and will not work fairly until they can come up with a fair way to determine if a user is impaired . As it stand a user could smoke on monday and still be considered impaired on friday due to the fact that THC can say in your system for up to 30 days . Look for the court system to be over whelmed by people fighting the DUID tickets, as least until they come up with a fair test.
I don't think it will be that difficult to come up with a fair test. In anycase if a driver is pulled over for being all over the road the charges can always be reckless driving instead of DUI.