2012 U.S. Presidential Election Thread

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Who do you hope will win the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election?

Barack Obama / Joe Biden (Democratic)
71%
Mitt Romney / Paul Ryan (Republican)
29%

Total votes: 14
South Pender
Legend

Third Presidential Debate:

Obama may have come out just-slightly better than Romney. Certainly more combative, and this might be seen by some as more definitive, authoritative, and ultimately presidential. I think he was just damned lucky that the Libyan consulate fiasco didn't come up. Toppy, you will have noticed Romney's concerted attempts to appear non-neo-con! Basically promised not to start a war. Do you believe him now? :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I saw part of the debate. Obama got the better of Romney on the parts I saw.
South Pender
Legend

The theory is that Romney was attempting to appear presidential by not getting riled and combative.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Obama played it safe first round. And played the Presidential role, above the fray. The media and apparently the voting public preferred Romney's aggressive performance.

Round 2 Obama took the gloves off and got the decision on Romney.

Round 3 Romney played it safe, and tried to appear above the fray. It didn't appear to work that well. Obama scored many points.

And of course, I don't think these debates will change the outcome. The voters are polarized for now and seemingly forever.

In so many ways, Romney is not even the candidate his own party wants, but they will vote for him. And they will make it a close contest.

It looks like a very close race at this time. Those that vote Republican tend to be more politically involved and committed. A lot depends on how Obama and the Democrats rally their voters. A good turnout by them (in particular the HIspanic voters, the African American voters, the immigrants, the young, the women, and the diverse gender/orientation groups) should be enough for Obama. IMO ...
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Third Presidential Debate:

Obama may have come out just-slightly better than Romney. Certainly more combative, and this might be seen by some as more definitive, authoritative, and ultimately presidential. I think he was just damned lucky that the Libyan consulate fiasco didn't come up. Toppy, you will have noticed Romney's concerted attempts to appear non-neo-con! Basically promised not to start a war. Do you believe him now? :wink:
No, I don't believe him. As I listen to him he is trying to sound like Ronald Reagan who was POTUS during the Cold War - but it's over! Build up weapons so all will fear you. Stateless terrorism is the big threat - not Russia and probably not Syria. You can't get enough arms to fight every terrorist cell

He has some 17/24 of the Bush neo-cons advising him and of course he sounded reasonable as he will say whatever he thinks needs to be said.

The Bush neo-cons had a war agenda as it is good for all those companies who profit from outsourced US Wars. Cheney's former company and his pals.

What I think Obama want is the money back to rebuild the USA if you can divert it from fighting foreign wars.

The Libya fiasco didn't come up as both sides can't win there and the US Ambassador's family are angry that the death of the their son and family member is nothing more than a political pawn for Romney. Secondly it brings up the fact that when Romney wants to arm Syrian rebels the issue will be like Libya - those same weapons wont come back and could be used like the ones in Libya were - to kill Americans.

You know who trained bin Laden and armed him - the USA to fight the USSR. On and on it goes.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy