YOWZAH YOWZAH HOLY CRP, THAT WAS SOMETHING ESLE

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

so here we are in delta midst a routine thunder and lightning show when all of a sudden theres the biggest bang I ever heard. It sounded like right outside our house. Instantly all power shut off and I thoughtwow, somethings been hit good. Then about 3 secs later, every thing came back on and all was normal. Here it is now some 20-30 minutes later, and not even the sound of sirens in the distance. LIke it never happened, whatever IT was??

just the wierdest thing. its as if the lightning was so close to something that it affected the power without actually hitting anything, for just that moment. I shoulda paid more attention to science in school. I shoulda went to school more
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sounds like a religious experience to me. LOL

Or at least fear of the Lord.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The thunder is scaring the bejusus out my dog. She won't leave my side and spent alot of time hiding under the table
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The thunder is scaring the bejusus out my dog. She won't leave my side and spent alot of time hiding under the table
Thunder doesn't bother me, but I have a lot of respect for lightning. LOL As I was driving I didn't like being on a road with overhanging trees, of which there are many in North Van.

I've always heard that the less time between lightning flash and thunder shows the lightning is close to your location. In North Van today they were very close. Most people were a bit spooked. Saw someone holding up an umbrella and I am thinking: not adviseable.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:The thunder is scaring the bejusus out my dog. She won't leave my side and spent alot of time hiding under the table
Thunder doesn't bother me, but I have a lot of respect for lightning. LOL As I was driving I didn't like being on a road with overhanging trees, of which there are many in North Van.

I've always heard that the less time between lightning flash and thunder shows the lightning is close to your location. In North Van today they were very close. Most people were a bit spooked. Saw someone holding up an umbrella and I am thinking: not adviseable.
True, light travels MUCH MUCH faster than sound: 186,000 miles per second versus about 1100 feet per second, depending slightly on temperature. There's 5280 feet in a mile so the thundercrack from a lightning storm a mile away takes almost 5 seconds to reach your ear after you've already seen the flash of lightning that travelled instantaneously (by comparison) to your eye. Hence the rule of thumb: count the delay time in seconds between seeing the lightning and then hearing the thunder, divide by 5 and that's how many miles off the storm centre is.

You can even notice this delay effect at Lions games if you're sitting at the farthest possible distance where you can still hear the players hitting each other. You'll notice a slight delay in the sound of the impact after you see it. You don't notice this effect on TV because the microphones are too close to the action and transmit their audio signals at the speed of light, same as the cameras.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

I take it that it must have scared yourself pretty good to, I mean you must have been under the table also if she never left your side. ;)

All I know is that I counted a few lightning strikes to thunder sound and I didn't get to hit one, pretty close and we were in the vicinity of one of the men struck by the lightning.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
I take it that it must have scared yourself pretty good to, I mean you must have been under the table also if she never left your side. ;)

All I know is that I counted a few lightning strikes to thunder sound and I didn't get to hit one, pretty close and we were in the vicinity of one of the men struck by the lightning.
I was at the computer and my dog was sitting underneath the desk
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Rammer wrote:

I was at the computer and my dog was sitting underneath the desk
so you were half under the table then :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
274always
All Star

My favorite rock band is at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver tonight : the Cult. Lotsa sparks for those wishing to attend.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.