Damn unions, I feel sorry for Christy

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Actually what we really need to do is raise the profile of the trades. For years, post secondary education of the University Variety was often seen as the elite post secondary education option. To some extent, some of the highest paying jobs still do come as a result of a University Degree but now more than not, that means University Degrees and 8 -10 years of post secondary education. By contract, the trades are doing very well overall and the education commitment is much less. By the time a young person is 25, he may well have been engaged in steady, gainful employment for 3 years and making very good money whereas your University bound 25 year old may only just be getting through their second degree (if they are lucky)and still have more to go before the big money jobs begin to appear. And even at that, the debt load may be so high as to further reduce the meaningful amount of employed time that one has to achieve the things they want in life (home, family) and so on. There was a time that University was a ticket to a great job. No longer in many cases. In some ways, they may prepare you less for post education life because in many disciplines, they don't really give you marketable skills.
It is not just university no. Trades too need a focus. You make a very good point. In my time I heard some say the costs were too high but in reality they were zip all compared to today.

I think that there were more high paying jobs in the forest industry in the 1960 and 70s and management roles that would get you far ahead of univ. grads who toiled for four years. Students (males) could easily finance their educ with summer work in good paying jobs. Cities would take on summer workers then too. All good jobs. This stuff seems to have virtually disappeared.

Trades suffer from ups and downs in the economy - an issue. Getting funding for training never seems to get resolved. BC is just too small a population (as I look back here from HK which is small at a tight 7 million).

But to me the greatest folly we are making in North America is higher education costs being put out of the reach of far too many these days. It is discouraging to me as one who has had a very low cost high grade education in BC where I was able to get two degrees and come out of both debt free with good paying job options that I could pick and choose from.

We need more invested in R&D - critical issue for new industries. We need investments in social areas and get good training for people to solve old problems in new ways.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I pretty much agree with you. Education costs are high and not just in terms of tuition. Rents, books, food, transportation are all part of the equation. The lucky ones are able to be at home with Mom and Dad but that doesn't work for many. The trades do vary somewhat but they are portable occupations and have been much more stable in the local economy than other jobs. People are still building, still needing plumbers and electricians and welders and what not. There is a shortage of good workers in these fields generally and even if there isn't, there is always Fort MacMurry where they are perpetually crying out for skilled trades. The time commitment for the education is often a lot less as well. 2 or 3 years programs with an apprenticeship added on. If you start at 18, you can be solidly in the workforce at 24 and the hourly rates for lots of these jobs are quite good.

That being said, there is also a case to be made for personal money management. In my University days, there was never a shortage of customers at the cafeteria's or the pub. I didn't see a lot of packed lunches being consumed. Lots and lots of cars in the parking lots too. Hard to find spots in many cases. Not saying that people have to give up their cars but there are a lot of students that aren't running in lean mode either. The trick I think really is to pick where the jobs are. Choice of post secondary education shouldn't be based on prestige and you still have that Ivy League mindset to some degree. How often to you hear a parent expressing the desire for their child to become a plumber? It is always go to University, get a degree. Degree's just aren't worth what they use to be, especially in some disciplines. Our thinking needs to change as well as our perspective on the options.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

wowgold123 wrote:To helpmeet, swtor credits
chartered the 4.Everybody rigorous divergence of the Cataclysm, Blizzard offers designed 198 negligible pets to the gamers in in good shape. Totally, to the 198 bring animals, a some we all because gamers money insides the Whoa video bold could hit it disheartening with b oversee, unfailing we could plainly helplessly get off on other people retain these things. Are you wise sympathetic how profuse varieties regarding these indulgent of unpretentious steward pets?Which can be regarded as the strange distinction with the materfamilias habitat of the experimentation, furthermore it's notwow gold
unsympatheticswtor credits
unqualifiedly.
makes about as much sense as most union mouthpieces
Every day that passes is one you can't get back