911 Remembrance ...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Woke up that morning hearing that planes had hit the World Trade Center twin towers. When I got to work I heard that the towers had fallen. Thousands of miles away, everyone was taken aback. It was the first I had heard of Al Qaeda. Lots of news coverage and contemplation later.

I can understand protest. I can understand opposition. I can understand fighting for the oppressed. But I could never justify killing random children, women and men who have nothing to do with international wrong doing as a way of fighting, or making your point.

As a Vancouverite, one of my proudest moments was hearing about our local fire fighters going out to the streets, collecting $6 million dollars in a brief time, and then later taking it to New York to aid in the relief.

A big concern now is the health problems being experienced by the first responders to the tragedy. God bless.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

In quieter times, a tightrope walker crossed over 8 times between the towers in the mid 1970s.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

And then 911 ...
274always
All Star

NYC my birthplace. we shall overcome. :good:
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can't believe it's been 10 years since that dreadful day. Still get the sickening feeling when I watch the planes hit the Twin Towers.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for that, James.

That is amazing about that book you were reading. I've never heard of a connection, but one would have to wonder. To this day, I don't recall hearing why they chose that date.

When we are threatened that is when people appreciate the military, the police and the fire department. At other times we often take them for granted. Or worse. Some people are antgonistic towards the military or the police. I can't imagine anyone being antagonistic towards the fire departments of the world. They all serve. :thup:

Thanks for serving. :beer: