Hurricane Irene

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hurricane Irene is steaming up to be a major first for the continental United States. This is still not changing course from a direct hit on the largest metropolitan areas of the USA outside LA. The number of people in the NY metro alone is as dense as HK and major Chinese cities like Shanghai.

Saw on CBS news that the high pressure region in the Atlantic is destined to keep this moving northward onto land from North Carolina through to North York and Connecticut. The issue is how much inward this will go and these things as we know from New Orleans and Hurricane Andrew come with flooding.

The sad thing is that all they can do is be prepared but it is not seemingly about to change.

People track typhoons in Hong Kong as they start over waters south of The Phillipines where they really do damage and many change course before getting here. Since arriving in HK you take some interest in these things as you sure can't go out. From what I hear from people here in HK this US hurricane looks to make the typhoons I have seen here for 3 years look like minor wind storms. Some locals think the Big Buddha statue on Lantau Island facing HK Island is the key as my local friends say there has not been one major killer storm since that statue went up. A coincidence? Maybe the Statue of Liberty will protect NY.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy